Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

universal studios, do you like it?

At Universal studios what are your favorite rides at Universal Studios (out of the whole six they have) and has anyone seen the old spectroblast light and water show where Waterworld is now standing, if so how was it?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: universal studios, do you like it?

I love Universal but think that they need to add some attraction capacity to the park right away. Shrek, a bumpy old Back to the Future, and a too short Mummy ride don't quite cut it. But it is a wonderful alternative to Disneyland for those visiting from out of town. I'd love to see them add the Spiderman ride from IOA and perhaps the Men in Black as well. Those two additions alone could make this a twice a year park for me.

(I used to be the keeper of the Universal Studios Information Guide, but gave it up with MousePlanet a couple of years ago.)
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• /sigh

Over the years, my affection for USH has decreased tremendiously, even though I hold a pass for the year, I've only used it twice. It's one of those parks that does not retain 'replay value'. As Dusty mentioned, they need more attractions, and good ones at that. Ever since they took out my ET, it's never been the same.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

I've always had a soft spot for Universal Studios Hollywood. Florida's is by far the Superior park, and I hear Japan's is kind of a combination of the two (but physically resembling Florida's.) I have a small collection of their souvenir photo quides I'm trying to bulk up, too. But to really appreciate this park, I think, you really have to love movies. If you're the kind of person who listens to the director's commentary on DVDs, then you'll know what I mean. USH is really for those of us who like seeing how movies are made. After all, their tram ride is their signature attraction there.

I don't remember a light and water show where Waterworld is, but I do know that where Waterworld is a Miami Vice stunt show once stood, and before that it was an A-Team stunt show. Some of my favorite gone attractions are the A-Team stunt show, the Star Trek Adventure, the Battlestar Galactica laser battle on the tram tour, the Conan stunt show, the Wild Wild Wild West Stunt show (aka the Riot Act, aka the Stunt Show), and thr Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Over the years, USH has done a fair bit of expansion, but they really don't have a lot of room to grow, and it's kind of a pity. I think USH has the highest attraction turnover rate of the local SoCal parks (not that I have any hard data on that, mind you). But it's the nature of the business. The rides have to stay themed to the current popular movies or risk becoming quickly outdated.

I think my current favorite rides and shows would be the tram tour, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Shrek 4D, and T2:3D. Actualy, I try to take the tram tour every time I visit. It really isn't ever the same twice. Dialogue and delivery costantly varies, the tram sometimes reroutes to avoid shooting, and sometimes repairs of regular attractions forces the trams to go into detours of areas not previously seen.
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• Banned User

I never been there, but hope to some day

• Quality not quantity

As a place for repeat annual pass type visits perhaps not, but I had a REALLY great time on their VIP tour a year or two ago. If you are only going once I highly recommend that tour. If you go ask for Buck and tell him Moonliner says hi!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Still lost in Neverland

The best attraction is T2-3D. I see it everytime I go. I have an AP and go whenever I can just for something to do. It's a short bus ride away. I plan a trip next week.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I used to have fond memories of the USH, but then, when I went back--it was dismal. Surely, T2 was the only thing really new since the last time I was there, but the rest?

I think someone pointed out that they don't have room for expansion. That might be what the problem is. Everytime I go back to a Disney park, even the older rides have been revamped. But they don't seem to maintain their attractions, either. Back to the Future had a torn screen, the backlot tour still showed the same sites (albeit in a different order) and Jurassic Park seemed to have the same dinos but none were working this trip.

So now I just go to the Warner Bros. tour for the same movie feel. Do I like USH? Yeah, for a one time thing, but other then that, I feel it's kinda flat for return visitors.

But it is only my humble opinion. I managed a movie theatre for 11 years, so I might take movies a bit more seriously then others.

Take it for what you will--

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• ...TWO BITS!

There was an A-Team stunt show before Miami Vice?!?! I never knew that. Those anyone know any websites with video or pictures of this? When did this start and end? What happened with this stunt show? THANKS

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    The best attraction is T2-3D. I see it everytime I go. I have an AP and go whenever I can just for something to do. It's a short bus ride away. I plan a trip next week.
    I heard that was to change to a War of the Worlds show where the robots come out of the sides.

• done

We went a few months ago for the first time in a few years, and I was decidedly unimpressed. About the only thing I liked was the T2 show. Mummy was the dumbest ride - nowhere near the hype. Jurassic Park has been so tamed down. The feel of the place was just not good. Food locations are unexceptional. We went on the free AP thing for my husband. We may go once again during the year to to T2 again, but otherwise, I can't imagine wanting to go again for another 5 to 10 years.

• A Pirate's life for me!

While we make four trips per year "down south", always to DL, we usually stop at USH twice. It is sad to see it in its current state. We've been regulars since 1985 and AP holders since 1991, and it has lost a lot of its luster since then. I think my first trip there was in 1980. I don't remember an A-Team show, but I do recall the A-Team van that you could lift up in the lower lot portion of the tram tour (the tram used to make a stop mid way of the tour).

We enjoy it enough to go a couple of times a year, but that is about it. They certainly are cheap enough (entry anyway) these days...

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    I don't remember an A-Team show, but I do recall the A-Team van that you could lift up in the lower lot portion of the tram tour (the tram used to make a stop mid way of the tour).
    There was a time in the '80s when the tram tour made two stops - one where the currents Special Effects stages are (to see some video with David Hasselhoff and K.I.T.T. talking about something I no longer remember), and another at a snack bar in the road behind the greens department where they had props from "The Incredible Shrinking Woman."
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• A Pirate's life for me!

I remember when they had the KITT car up next to the showboat snackbar surrounded by water. It would talk to you as you looked into it.

The carnival games are there now...

Remember the burning house? It was after the Battlestar Gallactica show on the tour. All that disappeared to make way for JP.

• keh!

i just go for Jurassic Park, the Mummy ride, and tram tour.... that's it... jurassic park gets crappier everytime.... the mummy is only worth a 15 min. wait.... and the tram is ok... back to the future is too boring to ride, shrek and T2 take waaayyy tooo long to watch.. the pre-shows really take up your time, so i don't bother w/ those. so universal is ok to hang out on a sunday for like 4 hours, that's it for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast