Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Rides against injustice

Thumbs up "King Kong 360-3D" Review

I was fortunate enough to attend the Employee Preview of "King Kong" last night at Universal Studios. I have to say that the event was very organized. They handed out wristbands at the entrance to redeem for your free shirt, meal and dessert. Only King Kong and the new Special Effects Stage Show were open for the preview.
    These were the shirts handed out for the event

(front)

(back)

The line was very long for the tram, but was moving quickly due to the number of trams running. We only waited about 20 min.
    Not sure if this will be on the actual tour, but as we rode to "Skull Island" a video aired showing the events that lead up to this day. First a history of "King Kong" in the movies was shown. They then showed a behind the scenes look at the construction of the original King Kong attraction. Then the infamous Universal Fire of 2008 that wiped out Kong. Finally, fake news clips of mysterious foot prints that have appeared around various LA landmarks over several days. We then arrive at the present day and carange outside of Universal Studios (From the commercial spot currently airing). Peter Jackson then introduces us to the new "King Kong 360-3D" attraction.

Now for the attraction itself: **(SPOILERS)**
    Spoiler

You roll into a giant sound stage made to look like "Skull Island" on the outside. Once inside Peter Jackson appears again on the video screen reminding us to put on our 3D glasses.
    You sit in the dark for a few seconds when suddenly the giant IMAX screen comes to life and you're surrounded by lush jungle with several raptors looking at the tram. They give chase and it really feels like the tram is speeding away. Then out of nowhere two T-Rexes crash the party so to speak and one of them grabs a raptor and begins to devour him. As he crunches down on his meal, water (blood) sprays on the tram. Suddenly the other T-rex spots the tram and begins to attack. Just when things look bleak, KING KONG flies in and takes out the attacking T-Rex. Suddenly its the T-Rex fight scene from the movie playing out all around you!!! The tram gets knocked around and sprayed with water as T-rex saliva goes flying from the punches Kong is throwing. One T-rex is taken down for good as the ground starts to give way on one side of the tram. The tram lurches to the side and on the screen you see the remaining T-rex has taken out one of the cars from the tram (its actually kinda funny when you see it) and the poor tourists inside are screaming for help. Kong scrambles to the other side and saves the falling tram and knocks the T-rex away to save the tram you are riding on from falling over as well. Kong stares you down, roars and pounds his chest triumphantly as the screen goes dark and the experience ends.
    **(END OF SPOILERS)**

All in all, I thought it was great addition to the tram tour. The technology is impressive and although it might not be the same thing as seeing a almost for real King Kong, I have to say the 3D movie is very well done and exciting.
    My only gripe is the transition (as the In the Parks King Kong review stated) from dark screen to jungle. It really is jarring and hopefully they find someway to make it more seamless as you really are caught by surprise.
    Also not sure if it was only because it was a soft opening, but the operator of the giant screen is sititng right there as you roll in. Like I said hopefully it was only because he was there to make sure everything went off without a hitch for the soft open.

Other than those two minor things, I loved it and I'm happy that "The King" has returned!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: "King Kong 360-3D" Review

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to checking this out!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic review. We think that Universal has really enhanced an already great tram tour with Kong. We can already imagine how it could be tweaked to create a full stand-alone attraction in Florida.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

One of these days I'll actually go inside the park and not just to CityWalk I used to live very close but haven't visited since I was a small child.

That's a great review, thank you so much for sharing. I love the shirt too!

• Jack's Posse

Cool!
    How good were the 3-D scenes?
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

What I'm curious of is the 3D glasses treatment. Do they hand them out in line and you have to hold them the entire time?

• Jack's Posse

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    What I'm curious of is the 3D glasses treatment. Do they hand them out in line and you have to hold them the entire time?
    Yes u get from today's "In the Parks" u get them right before u enter the trams and are forced to hold on to them the entire time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSkellington View Post
    Yes u get from today's "In the Parks" u get them right before u enter the trams and are forced to hold on to them the entire time.
    I wonder how many glasses are found on the backlot everyday.

I also used to live near Universal for many years and visited all the time. I have decided if I will get another pass to see it, or just wait until Transformers opens. Thanks for the review.

• Banned User

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SempHlvfybA]YouTube - King Kong 360 3D: Return to Skull Island - Universal Studios Hollywood Studio Tour (FULL 1080p HD)[/ame]

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    I wonder how many glasses are found on the backlot everyday.

I also used to live near Universal for many years and visited all the time. I have decided if I will get another pass to see it, or just wait until Transformers opens. Thanks for the review.
    I get the pass for 120 (parking) and its way worth it I go around twice a month so it comes out to be less than 5 dollars a trip (thats with parking)

Fantastic review. We think that Universal has really enhanced an already great tram tour with Kong. We can already imagine how it could be tweaked to create a full stand-alone attraction in Florida.
    Thank you! I agree, Kong is a great addition and I cant wait to go on it again. Now if they could only get rid of the dancing cars the tour would be even better...
    Out of the NIGHT....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSkellington View Post
    Cool!
    How good were the 3-D scenes?
    The quality is very good. Very clean and bright. You can tell they really spent some money on those screens. Lets see how well they hold up.
    Out of the NIGHT....

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    One of these days I'll actually go inside the park and not just to CityWalk I used to live very close but haven't visited since I was a small child.

That's a great review, thank you so much for sharing. I love the shirt too!
    Thank you for the kind words!
    Out of the NIGHT....

Blog Entries

I really, really hope you're right. While I love the Mummy attraction, it still pains me to remember what used to be there. Kong was my favorite original attraction from Universal Studios, FL and he really needs to be there somehow. It would be amazing if they would do something with this.

What I don't understand is why Disney hasn't seen the ability to do some great things like this with their backlot tour at DHS? They have one good special effect show and then nothing else. That could have been a good attraction with 3 or 4 smaller special effects houses like this.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    Thank you! I agree, Kong is a great addition and I cant wait to go on it again. Now if they could only get rid of the dancing cars the tour would be even better...
    I haven't read anything since the announcement up to today about Universal creating a new attraction for Orlando, not even the yet unfinished Universal Studios in Singapore.

PS:
    Someone pointed out, there's a Disneyland in-side joke in this attraction? When the imaginary 5th car of the tram, as it gets pulled by the T-Rex. A little kid seems to be wearing Mickey Mouse ears hat, and it falls down deep in the canyon, just when it goes over the cliff? Any truth to that? The tram moves more then the Earthquake attraction (pretty intense), and there's so much detail happening around you, it's a little detail that goes unnoticed, if it true because I didn't catch it. My eyes were glued to the T-Rex's =)

It wouldn't surprise me though, cuz Universal has cracked an inside joke on Disney before with Jurassic Park: The Ride, where the ears hat can be seen floating near the boat where you see the first Dilophosaurus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast