Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Forbidden Journey vs All

Not only is the technology used for Forbidden Journey impressive, but it greatly improves the ride experience, bringing dark rides to a whole new level. I haven't been on RSR yet, nor have you, but from what I see it does not look nearly as exciting as the Forbidden Journey.

Why didn't they build a Potterland in USH? Cost? Amazing ride aside, it seems like a massive merchandise opportunity. Five years of chocolate frog sales alone would probably pay for the ride.

I understand why they built it in USO. But it seems like a no-brainer to dup it on the west coast so that the tourists and locals of socal could easily and affordably share in the experience.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    Why didn't they build a Potterland in USH? Cost? Amazing ride aside, it seems like a massive merchandise opportunity. Five years of chocolate frog sales alone would probably pay for the ride.

I understand why they built it in USO. But it seems like a no-brainer to dup it on the west coast so that the tourists and locals of socal could easily and affordably share in the experience.
    USH doesn't have the space. Universal's agreements with Rowling and WB were also for IOA only. You won't see anything get cloned without their approval.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    USH doesn't have the space. Universal's agreements with Rowling and WB were also for IOA only. You won't see anything get cloned without their approval.
    I guess I can understand the space issue. But I wonder what was the motivation behind the "IOA only" clause. Did JKR want it to be unique?
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

I don't think there was an actual exclusivity clause. They simply never considered the other parks, and probably still haven't. Rowling had to approve of EVERYTHING personally, so it isn't something you can clone easily. The films' art directors even moved from Britain to Orlando for the length of the project to ensure authenticity.

In my opinion, IOA needs Potter to not be cloned anyway. Especially since they already cloned Spider-Man.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 07-06-2010 at 03:56 AM.

• Ben's My Friend

Is this ride really that good? I need to go to USO some time..
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

The first time I went on FJ I was convinced it was the best ride since Indiana Jones Adventure, but after riding it more and more I found that I was enjoying it slightly less. In other words, I think it has repeatability issues.

Overall, I think Spider-man is a superior ride. Every time I go on it, I am still blown away by it, and I think the reason comes down to the story/pacing. FJ is basically a mish-mash of scenes- dementors showing up at a quidditch game for unexplained reasons, Hagrid having a dragon, Hermione randomly appearing in the Forbidden Forest etc. The best parts are better than Spider-man, but I think overall the ride has more flaws. I think it lacks a proper ending and I think the screens are blurry. I think Spider-man does a better job telling a complete and epic story and is overall a more complete experience.

I'm curious to see if those who rank FJ the best end up changing their minds eventually.

• Banned User

Stars II, I doubt it. From the sounds of things its just a renovation like Space Mountain. I'm not expecting to much.
    Say what??

That is a non-sensical statement. Just a renovation? Let me count the ways in which you're dead wrong...

1) 3D
    2) New film and storyline
    3) Multiple middles and endings
    4) Audience interaction which changes the storyline
    5) State of the art motion simulator

That's what you call a "renovation"? Come on, now. That's just silly. This is a sequel, and technologically light years ahead of the original.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ryno1986 View Post
    The first time I went on FJ I was convinced it was the best ride since Indiana Jones Adventure, but after riding it more and more I found that I was enjoying it slightly less. In other words, I think it has repeatability issues.

Overall, I think Spider-man is a superior ride. Every time I go on it, I am still blown away by it, and I think the reason comes down to the story/pacing. FJ is basically a mish-mash of scenes- dementors showing up at a quidditch game for unexplained reasons, Hagrid having a dragon, Hermione randomly appearing in the Forbidden Forest etc. The best parts are better than Spider-man, but I think overall the ride has more flaws. I think it lacks a proper ending and I think the screens are blurry. I think Spider-man does a better job telling a complete and epic story and is overall a more complete experience.

I'm curious to see if those who rank FJ the best end up changing their minds eventually.
    I agree. Although each individual scene is very action-packed, I feel that it doesn't quite lead to a proper build-up for the finale/conclusion. It was also a bit fast-paced in my opinion; I would have enjoyed the ride more if it slowly set up for a more thrilling and spectacular ending.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Say what??

That is a non-sensical statement. Just a renovation? Let me count the ways in which you're dead wrong...

1) 3D

That's what you call a "renovation"? Come on, now. That's just silly. This is a sequel, and technologically light years ahead of the original.
    1) ok, so that's an addition.
    2) Space Mountain received new track, new effect, and new music. I doubt the storyline will be any different from the "something goes horribly wrong" scenario.
    3) This is not confirmed
    4) I am interested to know how you know this...
    5) The motion simulator is 20+ years old and will not be changing for the update or whatever you want to go it. How is this "State of the Art."

Maybe update is a better word, but it is by no means a new attraction in the same way of Space Mountain 77 vs Space Mountain 2005.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Say what??

1) 3D

See Space Mountain renovations.. including DL's. What would you call those? Do you really feel DLP's version 2 really is a 'sequel' or a retheme?

It's an update for sure - but at the end of the day.. it's still going to be a Star Tours attraction.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Guys, the variable storylines and audience interaction has been discussed in several threads. And even if it follows the familiar "something goes terribly wrong" template, that doesn't change the fact that they shot an entirely new film, with multiple middles and endings. As for the motion simulator, I would be very surprised if it wasn't upgraded.

I'm not saying ST II will top Forbidden Journey. But, add it all up, and this is far more than just a refurb or renovation.

• Banned User

Look at the newest Disney park map. Under Star Tours is says "temporarily closing as of 7/27 for 'reimagining'"

Not a new ride, just a magical way of saying "refurbishment."

And nothing you are saying is concrete information, just speculation. Prepare to be surprised, I have heard no concrete information of a new motion simulator system.

• Banned User

"Reimagining" could mean almost anything, but it sure sounds like a lot more than a refurb to me. In any case, however you want to interpret that Disneyesque word, the fact is that Star Tours II, by all accounts, will blow the original right out of the galaxy.

And since we are getting off topic, that's my last word on the subject.

Disneyland = "reimagining"

WDW = Renovation. But they just might go wild. Maybe some new paint here and there. You just never know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast