Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forbidden Journey vs All

In all the reviews I have read FJ has been called the best ride in the world. The only contender to that open right now is Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has been on both and could reflect on what makes one better than the other. Thanks!

The second part is with the coming stream of high caliber attractions like Star Tours 2, Transformers and Radiator Springs Racers especially, will FJ keep its crown at the top? I for one believe so just based off it's fantastic ride system in the Kuka Arm

Discuss.....
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Forbidden Journey vs All

Maybe Transformers 3D and HUGE Robots may have beat the great set piece which is Harry Potter but we'll see...also Cars, Little mermaid will be great dark rides (maybe the best) and Star Tours and Transformers will look amazing if they are both HD 3D!

• Banned User

Stars II, I doubt it. From the sounds of things its just a renovation like Space Mountain. I'm not expecting to much.

Transformers may be better than Spiderman, but it still will not top Forbidden Journey.

RSR, although the best of the three, still won't hold a torch to Forbidden Journey. As you said, the Kuka arm technology is brilliant and creates the perfect excilerating sensation of flying, while RSR uses 15 year old technology. From what I've heard, RSR will be a tour of the town in the dark ride section, and nothing to amazing. The outside will be detailed, but it still won't have the amazing detail (and queue!) of Forbidden Journey.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah but the thing is will Transformers, and Cars land make people say...hey I'll just go down to Socal cuz its cheaper (if you live in CA or other western states) because these rides looks just as good as potter.

• The Study of Wumbo

I highly, highly doubt either Little Mermaid will compete with Forbidden Journey.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    In all the reviews I have read FJ has been called the best ride in the world. The only contender to that open right now is Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has been on both and could reflect on what makes one better than the other. Thanks!

The second part is with the coming stream of high caliber attractions like Star Tours 2, Transformers and Radiator Springs Racers especially, will FJ keep its crown at the top? I for one believe so just based off it's fantastic ride system in the Kuka Arm

Discuss.....
    I've been on both the Forbidden Journey (Universal Islands of Adventure) and Journey to the Center of the Earth (Tokyo Disney Sea).

While I think that the Mysterious Island section of Disney Sea is AMAZING and has solid attractions, I do think that the Wizarding World holds the slight edge based on the detail and level of storytelling. Journey to the Center of the Earth is an amazing ride (sort of like Test Track) with a dark and foreboding feel. The queue is also fantastic but not to the level of Potter.

The Forbidden Journey takes you into Hogwarts Castle for goodness sake!!! It is hard to beat that.

Do I think that Disney "Could" do better than Potter. YES! Do I think they "Will" do better? Not at this time. The current management of Disney does not value spending vast amounts of money just to one-up the competition. As a result, they are likely to see their competition slowly catch up to them. Both Sea World and Universal have been raising the bar year after year. Disney doesn't seem to notice or care. They are resting on their past accomplishments and milking the Disney World parks for all they can. At least Disneyland Resort is being maintained properly . . . BUT it hasn't had a major E-Ticket since Indy. That is just a sorry state of affairs.

Cars land at California Adventure will be a solid contender in the theme park wars and has the best chance of coming close to Harry Potter, but many expect that it will likely fall just short of that mark needed to unseat Universal. Test Track is a great ride concept, but it has already been done (Test Track, Rocket Rods, and Journey to the Center of the Earth). The ride tech behind Forbidden Journey is unlike anything you have ever experienced. It demolishes Sorin', puts Indy to shame, and obliterates Test Track. Only the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman comes close (and that is also housed at Islands of Adventure).
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    I highly, highly doubt either Little Mermaid will compete with Forbidden Journey.
    what i meant is it will keep people in CA from paying soo much to go over there 4 one land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I've been on both the Forbidden Journey (Universal Islands of Adventure) and Journey to the Center of the Earth (Tokyo Disney Sea).

While I think that the Mysterious Island section of Disney Sea is AMAZING and has solid attractions, I do think that the Wizarding World holds the slight edge based on the detail and level of storytelling. Journey to the Center of the Earth is an amazing ride (sort of like Test Track) with a dark and foreboding feel. The queue is also fantastic but not to the level of Potter.

The Forbidden Journey takes you into Hogwarts Castle for goodness sake!!! It is hard to beat that.

Do I think that Disney "Could" do better than Potter. YES! Do I think they "Will" do better? Not at this time. The current management of Disney does not value spending vast amounts of money just to one-up the competition. As a result, they are likely to see their competition slowly catch up to them. Both Sea World and Universal have been raising the bar year after year. Disney doesn't seem to notice or care. They are resting on their past accomplishments and milking the Disney World parks for all they can. At least Disneyland Resort is being maintained properly . . . BUT it hasn't had a major E-Ticket since Indy. That is just a sorry state of affairs.

Cars land at California Adventure will be a solid contender in the theme park wars and has the best chance of coming close to Harry Potter, but many expect that it will likely fall just short of that mark needed to unseat Universal. Test Track is a great ride concept, but it has already been done (Test Track, Rocket Rods, and Journey to the Center of the Earth). The ride tech behind Forbidden Journey is unlike anything you have ever experienced. It demolishes Sorin', puts Indy to shame, and obliterates Test Track. Only the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman comes close (and that is also housed at Islands of Adventure).
    Thank you for the information it is much appreciated. As you said in the bold only spiderman comes close it's successor Transformers should up the ante in all the categories do you think it will challenge FJ's spot?

And for the next question of Carsland and WWOHP both major motion picture translations to theme park environments which will be more successful meaning financially. I predict that TWWOHP will provide a larger bump in attendance short term for IOA but Carsland will see a longer gain in attendance by fleshing out a half day park. Harry Potter is amazing but it isn't enough single handedly to convince tourists to come back to Uni after the first one or two or hopefully three visits, the rest of the resort just isn't there yet. Compared with DCA which I believe is closer to luring people in the rest of the Uni isn't as close as the rest of DCA. Sorry if that was unclear.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

^ I've not been to DCA, but assuming I had never experienced IOA, knowing only 2nd hand about both options, I'd still choose IOA 11 times out of 10.

If DCA's attendance is higher, it's because of the Disneyland factor. IOA doesn't have that kind of help.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 06-29-2010 at 08:32 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Thank you for the information it is much appreciated. As you said in the bold only spiderman comes close it's successor Transformers should up the ante in all the categories do you think it will challenge FJ's spot?

And for the next question of Carsland and WWOHP both major motion picture translations to theme park environments which will be more successful meaning financially. I predict that TWWOHP will provide a larger bump in attendance short term for IOA but Carsland will see a longer gain in attendance by fleshing out a half day park. Harry Potter is amazing but it isn't enough single handedly to convince tourists to come back to Uni after the first one or two or hopefully three visits, the rest of the resort just isn't there yet. Compared with DCA which I believe is closer to luring people in the rest of the Uni isn't as close as the rest of DCA. Sorry if that was unclear.
    I have been to both (not Harry Potter but they would be a plus anyway)
    DCA is a good park, but even with Woc, Cars land and Littler mermaid, its not at IOA let, The Hulk Coaster may be my favorite coaster EVER, Spiderman the ride you can go on like 1000 times with getting bored (use single rider), The water rides of the park (3 different types) are all great. The Theming for the lands are AMZAZING! So I would say until may 10 years from now IOA is a better park (at least 4 me) but DCA comes close it just needs a couple More BIG E ticket rides like Cars to become a better park.

^ Sorry that got convoluted what I mean is that the addition of Carsland will entice people visiting Disneyland already to stay more days which will result in more success in the longterm than TWWOHP which in my opinion strives to pull people who have never been to Universal Studios before or in a very long time.

I meant that Carsland enjoys the added benefit of people already being there it only needs to pull people across the esplanade Harry has to pull people across Orlando.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah Once Cars land opens it will be EXTREMELY Hard to all of the rides in a day at both parks, it will be very close to being a resort but I still think DLR needs a third gate or water park to make me stay down there 4 a night or 2.

^ I agree though unless the quality of their water park goes way up from Blizzard Beach I don't want to see the space wasted. I'm all for the Westcot concept ditching it's future world half and including more myths about each country in each countries (or corner of the world)'s land that would be ideal in my opinion. TDS quality themeing in a relatively compact package with the hotels already incorporated into the park and property! Perfect
    Armchair Imagineering!:

I read somewhere that Transformers will be $120 million if I remember correctly TWWOHP was $250 million for an entire land. Anyone know how much of that was on the ride?
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin77 View Post
    Stars II, I doubt it. From the sounds of things its just a renovation like Space Mountain. I'm not expecting to much.

Transformers may be better than Spiderman, but it still will not top Forbidden Journey.

RSR, although the best of the three, still won't hold a torch to Forbidden Journey. As you said, the Kuka arm technology is brilliant and creates the perfect excilerating sensation of flying, while RSR uses 15 year old technology. From what I've heard, RSR will be a tour of the town in the dark ride section, and nothing to amazing. The outside will be detailed, but it still won't have the amazing detail (and queue!) of Forbidden Journey.
    So it's all about technology that decides the quality of the ride? Just because RSR's uses an existing--and perfectly appropriate-- ride system, that automatically makes it less superior to Forbidden Journey? So what if it's not "innovative", if it's an impressive and fun attraction, that's all that matters (at least to me); no need to try and "beat" any other park's current technology.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast