Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: I love Universal but hate that...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasorbust View Post
    I don't get why they remove old rides and install new rides at this park. The simple fact is Universal Studios Hollywood is not a full day park. It simply has a limited amount of attractions and tons of wasted space, especially around the area of the Wild West Show. My kids loved the E.T. attraction and it at least gave something for the whole family to do. Once they removed that ride, they simply removed a large part of there family attractions, leaving only Shrek 4-D. I live 20 minutes away from Universal but only got to it once every five years. They should be keeping the old rides, adding new rides, until the park is full of attractions. Once that happens then remove some of the old rides.
    I think this is easier said than done. Keep in mind, along with space constraints, they have especially picky neighbors which don't allow anything overtly loud running continuously throughout the day.

Though I agree, they do have wasted space and they should start building instead of subtracting.
    InsideUniversal.net - Universal Studios Hollywood.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I too miss the ET attraction at Universal. It's really something that would easily be considered a classic attraction ~ IF they wouldn't have ripped it out. There was so much charm in riding a bike that flew! There aren't many attractions that do that, and there is a special magic to those types of attractions. Escaping from the police, and then experiencing ET's home planet. The water Fountains also added a lot, too! The indoor queue was even fun. It really was Universal's upgraded Peter Pan attraction! And then you had the added bonus of ET saying your name, which Universal showed that they could trump what Disney does AND add interactive elements like never done at Disney before! Now, I was never a big fan of the movie, however the attraction at Universal was completely charming.

Of course, a couple of scenes could have used a little upgrading. (like adding more realistic people to the scenes. But really any attraction around for that long will need a major refurbishment.

I also still miss the Wild West show they used to have in the upper lot.

Glad that they have a new show for special effects, however, the special effect show did feel more intimate in the previous building in the lower lot. The current building was definitely better for large stage productions, like what they offered previously. Unfortunately, Not too many of those shows were very successful.

I was sort of sad to see BttF leave, and the details of that attraction were well done. However, I always felt that the quality of the film was extremely poor (same criticism that I had for Honey I Shrunk the Audience over at Disney). But, for a makeover, the Simpsons was extremely well done! And the film and motion is much better. The only thing that I felt was lower in quality was the small room you wait in immediately before boarding your vehicle. Even when Transformers opens, the Lower lot will still be lacking things to do.

I don't really miss Bacikdraft, BUT it is sad that they are using two old attraction buildings for just one attraction, now. It really is reducing the variety of attractions that Universal offers. And now they have basically lost a larger theater that could entertain a sizable crowd for about a half hour.

Now, it's great that they have added some additional small shows in the upper lot, and they are entertaining, and add much to what was previously missing up there, But with live entertainment, it's something that could go away at anytime. Hopefully they will keep these type of shows going for a long time.

So, replacing some shows/attractions is occassionally needed. BUT, Universal really does need to expand the total number of attractions that is offers guests, which would increase capacity. And really, removing ET was really the poorest choice that Universal has made over the years. And it looks like replacing two attraction buildings for just one new attraction is extemely questionable, especially when considering that Universal is rather limited, to begin with.

Universal studios Hollywood is in need of some reorganization. The top lot has had several issues with shows closing and not being replaced while others have been around for way too long.

They should start considering relocating some of the soundstages to the opposite end of the property to allow room at the bottom lot for additional growth.

Universal has plenty of room for growth and the problem with the picky neighbors in the housing development was their fault for selling that land for housing use. Moving the large soundstages to that side of the property would help with this issues. The soundstages would create a natural sound barrier between the housing area and the studio filming areas
    Last edited by Baloo; 07-30-2010 at 11:08 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Universal has plenty of room for growth and the problem with the picky neighbors in the housing development was their fault for selling that land for housing use. Moving the large soundstages to that side of the property would help with this issues. The soundstages would create a natural sound barrier between the housing area and the studio filming areas
    True, and I always imagined in my head or would one day love to see, if Universal bought out the that Lakeside Golf Club. That's over 6,500 yards of land, leave a nice foliage berm to keep the neighbors happy. Build new state of the art soundstages over in the that new area, offices & parking for the crew & stars.

While, bulldoze all the old 'front-lot' offices, studio structures, and old soundstages (except Sound Stage 28 - Phantom Stage for history sake). All of the back-lot will remain, of course. Now, with the current front-lot almost gone, Universal can expand the theme park to many more acres but only in my dreams =)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knottslover77 View Post
    Yes and Universal Hollywood at least. is a MOVIE STUDIO people need to know they have a very limited budget and they can only have a couple attractions.
    Despite it's 'theme park' size within the massive studio property that is Universal Studios Hollywood, I'm going to believe that Universal gives it's original 'behind-the-scenes' park much love, and gives it a budget like it's other sister parks. Given the history, depending how far you want to go back when Uni changed the 'behind-the-scenes' tour from 1912 to be a part of a Universal 'theme park' back in 1964 is up for grabs.

It was the birth place of many Universal main attractions that have come & gone that have become household names before they were even known across the world. Let's not forget too, it was the birthplace of City Walk, and when they first opened Jurassic Park back in 1996, it had a budget of $110 million compared to the film's budget of $63 million. So, I think it's safe to say Universal treats it's home just as fair compared to it's other sister parks.

With every attraction Universal Studios Hollywood does replace, the new attraction does top the old attraction it replaces, and one can't deny that! Before there was 'Waterworld,' it was 'Miami Vice,' which replaced the 'A-Team' (who remembers that?=) What I do miss, is 'The Adventures of Conan: A Sword and Sorcery Spectacular,' where the current 'Special Effects' show is housed. Which was originally home to 'Castle Dracula Live Show,' hence the castle like-structure. I still believe that dragon from the Conan stunt show still tops the current Maleficent dragon in Fantasmic at Disneyland we see today, and Conan's dragon was created back in 1983 plus it was a fun stunt show. After all, it's movie magic that Universal does best =)

Here's the show...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxjFx8U0iqM]YouTube - The Adventures of Conan a Sword and Sorcery Spectacular PART 1[/ame]
    The dragon comes into play at 4:53
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDAdy395jA]YouTube - The Adventures of Conan a Sword and Sorcery Spectacular PART 2[/ame]

Behind the Scenes making of: 'The Adventures of Conan: A Sword & Sorcery Spectacular' (1983-1993)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ape_oR5NlzQ"]YouTube- The Adventures of Conan - Universal Studios Kodak Video Tour[/ame]
    Cool dragon or what?
    Universal's dragon or Disneyland's dragon(s)? =)
    Last edited by JMora; 07-31-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12