Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I love Universal but hate that...

Everytime they build a new attraction they get rid of classic ones. For example with the E.T. ride. In my opinion I think with a refurb, that would have been a popular ride, but instead they put The Mummy which is an OKAY ride but honestly I did expect more out of it. What does everyone think of Universal always getting rides and replacing them with others?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: I love Universal but hate that...

I remember ET have much longer wait times then the mummy. i wish they could have both.

• no flash photography...

ET was a walk on for us and this was over 6 years ago. There was never a wait. It was the only ride my child liked so we had to do it over and over again. I will not miss it.

It could have been 10 years ago....

When I was younger, it was the ONLY ride I went on, it was child friendly you could say lol

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie89 View Post
    When I was younger, it was the ONLY ride I went on, it was child friendly you could say lol
    I seriously hated how ET would say names at the end. It sounded so creepy and the ride looked so dusty inside. I was so happy when she learned to like other rides.

• Functional & Decorative

Um, the philosophy of replacing an old ride with a new one is not unique to Universal. Disney generally does the same thing.

As far as ET goes, I personally thought it was one of the worst dark rides, and was not sad to see it go at all. I once briefly dated a guy who worked on the design, and he agreed that it was a bad ride, too.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah Disney also has WAY more rides too, we have lost some classics but we still have many from opening day....cant really say the same for universal

I personally really love E.T. Adventure. Sure it's cheesy, and I agree that it could have been designed better, but something about it holds out for me, the ride always warms my heart when I ride it. I think it's really sad that it was removed in Hollywood and Japan. The removal of Back to the Future from both of the Florida and Hollywood parks were a massive loss as well, IMO.

But anyway, a TON of attractions got removed here in the Florida version of Universal as well. Pretty much 90% of what was there on opening day is gone now, and it's very depressing. If only Universal was built with more expansion space in mind...

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Um, the philosophy of replacing an old ride with a new one is not unique to Universal. Disney generally does the same thing.

As far as ET goes, I personally thought it was one of the worst dark rides, and was not sad to see it go at all. I once briefly dated a guy who worked on the design, and he agreed that it was a bad ride, too.
    Yes and Universal Hollywood at least. is a MOVIE STUDIO people need to know they have a very limited budget and they can only have a couple attractions.
    Smiley Productions

Quote Originally Posted by stitch101 View Post
    I personally really love E.T. Adventure. Sure it's cheesy, and I agree that it could have been designed better, but something about it holds out for me, the ride always warms my heart when I ride it. I think it's really sad that it was removed in Hollywood and Japan. The removal of Back to the Future from both of the Florida and Hollywood parks were a massive loss as well, IMO.

But anyway, a TON of attractions got removed here in the Florida version of Universal as well. Pretty much 90% of what was there on opening day is gone now, and it's very depressing. If only Universal was built with more expansion space in mind...
    USF doesn't replace old attractions due to lack of space. They actually have plenty. There's a mostly empty plot behind World Expo large enough for an entire themed area. It could fit at least 4 MIB-size buildings comfortably. It's massive. All they would need to do is relocate the fireworks bunker and a couple storage buildings (the ones used during HHN.)

There's also other places to expand if they move a couple things around backstage. They just haven't used them. They probably don't want the increased operational costs that come with expanding the park. Replacing old attractions is simply more economical. There's actually several empty buildings that they need to fill as well, namely the Fear Factor theater and the former Hercules building (next to Shrek.)

Rockit was technically an expansion though. That was all backstage space before.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 07-20-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    USF doesn't replace old attractions due to lack of space. They actually have plenty. There's a mostly empty plot behind World Expo large enough for an entire themed area. It could fit at least 4 MIB-size buildings comfortably. It's massive. All they would need to do is relocate the fireworks bunker and a couple storage buildings (the ones used during HHN.)

There's also other places to expand if they move a couple things around backstage. They just haven't used them. They probably don't want the increased operational costs that come with expanding the park. Replacing old attractions is simply more economical. There's actually several empty buildings that they need to fill as well, namely the Fear Factor theater and the former Hercules building (next to Shrek.)

Rockit was technically an expansion though. That was all backstage space before.
    I did actually know about that space behind World Expo. But now that I think about it, I was a little off when I said that they don't have expansion space...

I just still think it's rather depressive how some of the replaced attractions were main attractions to the park (at least when the park was first opened)

I don't get why they remove old rides and install new rides at this park. The simple fact is Universal Studios Hollywood is not a full day park. It simply has a limited amount of attractions and tons of wasted space, especially around the area of the Wild West Show. My kids loved the E.T. attraction and it at least gave something for the whole family to do. Once they removed that ride, they simply removed a large part of there family attractions, leaving only Shrek 4-D. I live 20 minutes away from Universal but only got to it once every five years. They should be keeping the old rides, adding new rides, until the park is full of attractions. Once that happens then remove some of the old rides.

• Jack's Posse

Universal probly has different opinions. (I think there are probly other reasons)
    They probly want current, exciting attractions from many of their popular movies even if that means replacing old attractions.
    ET was IDK umm about 25 years old being replaced with the mummy franchise.
    BTTF was about 15 years being replaced by the simpsons. reason being were that the movies were set around 2015 and that year was coming close
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• jonyyeh

It was surprising going to Universal Studios Florida this year for the first time. They of course use the fact that they have more space to house attractions. However, quite a few attractions and shows that were once in Hollywood 12 years ago are still at Florida. The Beetlejuice show, the Animal Actors show, Fievel's Playland, E.T. Adventure are still at USF, and they are all gone from Hollywood!

Although the Bettlejuice show and the Animal Actors show have been updated, the fact that Fievel's Playland is still there shows how old some of the attractions are. Unfortunately, not many kids know of "An American Tail", and Universal doesn't sell any Fievel toys anymore, despite still having the Playland around. I understand keeping E.T. Adventure around (its still a classic as a ride and as a movie), so keeping Fievel around shows USF's age.
    Last edited by jonyyeh; 07-21-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: misspelled Fievel as Fidel :-/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jonyyeh View Post
    The Beetlejuice show, the Animal Actors show, Fidel's Playland, E.T. Adventure are still at USF, and they are all gone from Hollywood!
    um...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast