Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Not a Crook

Re: Universal considering Lord of the Rings?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Remember LOTR can pretty much be tuned to incorporate any story you wish that includes elves, dwarves, humans, sorcery, and every mystical fantasy character. LOTR is an entirely different universe that pretty much is the foundation for all fantasy novels. It's potential is really endless.
    This would be true if Tolkien's estate wasn't immensely protective of the series. It would probably be the same deal as Rowling, where they can pull the entire license at a heartbeat if they don't believe the park is properly representing the work.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Call me names, or disagree with me, but I honestly do not see a LOTR themed park attracting 5 - 7 million unique Orlando visitors a year.

If someone has some data that says otherwise, I would be thrilled to see it.
    Much of what makes HP attractive is what LOTR is before it. I mean look at IoA before.. one of the best themed attractions in the place was a fantasy themed rollercoaster. Dueling dragons could have gone almost untouched into a LOTR themed land.

Who doesn't like dragons, swords, fairies, magic, elves, kings, princesses, etc. Tolkien's world is the basis for so many things that proceeded it.

It's pretty much a stable of toys, novels, movies - everywhere.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Much of what makes HP attractive is what LOTR is before it. I mean look at IoA before.. one of the best themed attractions in the place was a fantasy themed rollercoaster. Dueling dragons could have gone almost untouched into a LOTR themed land.

Who doesn't like dragons, swords, fairies, magic, elves, kings, princesses, etc. Tolkien's world is the basis for so many things that proceeded it.

It's pretty much a stable of toys, novels, movies - everywhere.
    And you might be 100% right, I just have the tainted and limited vision of an Orlando area marketer (thinking outside of the box is not what we do). lol

• mountains beyond mtns.

In short, I would give a resounding "yes"!

And now I will daydream about a Bridge of Khazud Dum attraction. "run, you fools.."

Well then let's think about this another way: what if UO was going to launch a major expansion (moreso than HP) that was generic fantasy, but pretty damn close to Lotr?
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• Shablagoo!

I have been taking surveys from Universal for several years now. LOTR has been a part of them the whole time. As has films like Austin Powers. I don't think this is anything to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by giggling_gargoyles View Post
    I got a not-so-subtle email from the company
    Wait, is this e-mail from Universal? Where do I sign up?!?!?!?!

• King of Los Angeles

Ehh I think the success of Harry Potter has Universal Execs frothinga t the mouth. They have Disney on their heels for once. Another big themed land could make IOA a perennial player, and the best theme park in Orlando. Let's be honest, Transformers West is most likely a test run for a re-themed Super-hero island. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give up on Marvel and not share profits with Disney eventually if they felt they had a brand that was just as successful to work with.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    Ehh I think the success of Harry Potter has Universal Execs frothinga t the mouth. They have Disney on their heels for once. Another big themed land could make IOA a perennial player, and the best theme park in Orlando. Let's be honest, Transformers West is most likely a test run for a re-themed Super-hero island. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give up on Marvel and not share profits with Disney eventually if they felt they had a brand that was just as successful to work with.
    success breeds success

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    While they could easily re-theme the Hulk coaster and Dr. Doom, I doubt they could easily slap a new theme on Spiderman. While they theoretically could rip it apart and make it Transformers, that would be a zero sum game of essentially adding a new attraction at the expense of the former most popular ride in the park.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Whip cracker

I think a Lord of the Rings themed area sounds interesting.
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

I would love to be able to visit various "sites" like Rivendell, Lothlorien, or the Shire. I could even abide costumed "generic" characters, as long as they were not specific characters from the books. Rides...I dunno. Much agreed Universal did a fabulous job of Harry Potter. Still, I imagine that kind of project would entail permission and rights from so many people and companies, including the Tolkien trust, I have real doubts it coud happen. Not so sure the Tolkien family would go for the theme park idea, from what they've said before. But I wish whoever good luck with that (not gonna expect to see it in my lifetime, though.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsong View Post
    I would love to be able to visit various "sites" like Rivendell, Lothlorien, or the Shire. I could even abide costumed "generic" characters, as long as they were not specific characters from the books. Rides...I dunno. Much agreed Universal did a fabulous job of Harry Potter. Still, I imagine that kind of project would entail permission and rights from so many people and companies, including the Tolkien trust, I have real doubts it coud happen. Not so sure the Tolkien family would go for the theme park idea, from what they've said before. But I wish whoever good luck with that (not gonna expect to see it in my lifetime, though.)
    interesting first post Dreamsong.

A Lotr themed land would be a terrible decision, although Harry Potter and Lotr both enjoy a similar number of hardcore fans, Harry fans seem to be much more commercial to me very willing to buy merchandise and see movies therefore also willing to attend a theme park. Lotr fans (or the hardcore ones) I see as much less commercial, I know many Tolkien addicts who refused to see the movies much less buy lotr merchandise.

What I'm trying to say is the lotr fanbase for the most part might just be too mature for a themepark. Most of harry potter movies were pg or relatively friendly pg 13 and the books were childrens books while all of tlotr were pg 13 and the books were distinctly Adult targeted.

The only way I see this happening is if The Hobbit is a massively successful franchise that manages to attract the right demographic.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    A Lotr themed land would be a terrible decision, although Harry Potter and Lotr both enjoy a similar number of hardcore fans, Harry fans seem to be much more commercial to me very willing to buy merchandise and see movies therefore also willing to attend a theme park. Lotr fans (or the hardcore ones) I see as much less commercial, I know many Tolkien addicts who refused to see the movies much less buy lotr merchandise.

What I'm trying to say is the lotr fanbase for the most part might just be too mature for a themepark. Most of harry potter movies were pg or relatively friendly pg 13 and the books were childrens books while all of tlotr were pg 13 and the books were distinctly Adult targeted.

The only way I see this happening is if The Hobbit is a massively successful franchise that manages to attract the right demographic.
    100% concur.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast