Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• The one and only

Re: Universal considering Lord of the Rings?

I think it has a lot of potential, but it'd have to be done JUST right.
    I'd definitely love to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    What I'm trying to say is the lotr fanbase for the most part might just be too mature for a themepark. Most of harry potter movies were pg or relatively friendly pg 13 and the books were childrens books while all of tlotr were pg 13 and the books were distinctly Adult targeted.
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to label the Harry Potter series as "children's books". While they may only be marketed in a America as such, around the world, the books are loved, celebrated, and even cherished by fans young and old. In fact, the UK published every book with an alternate "adult" cover, just to appease older fans.
    Last edited by Jordiekins; 08-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.

• Banned User

If they ever did a LotR attraction/"land", wouldn't the environments be a bit too similar to Harry Potter? I mean, walking inside of a castle for the queue area would probably be somewhat repetitive from Potter, and the Dragon and spider creatures would also be in Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    If they ever did a LotR attraction/"land", wouldn't the environments be a bit too similar to Harry Potter? I mean, walking inside of a castle for the queue area would probably be somewhat repetitive from Potter, and the Dragon and spider creatures would also be in Potter.
    That's rather a strange argument. Tolkien's Middle-earth does not consist solely of castles, dragons, and spider creatures.

That said, I am sceptical that the Tolkien estate will sell theme park rights to anyone at all.

• Banned User

They already have this. It's called the 'Renaissance Faire'. =0}~

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    That would be true if the focus of Tolkien was on castles and pleasant villages. The scope is far larger, and the most iconic location is a giant volcano of doom, aptly called Mount Doom. They could definitely pull off something completely different, as long as it wasn't a bunch of shops in the Shire (Hobbit Land, for those less LOTR inclined) and a journey through Isengard (Really, really big tower of magic).
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Banned User

Know why this came up?

People were given a survey when they visited Universal Studios "Orlando," and Island's of Adventure over the summer, to test visitors what they would like to see at future Universal Orlando theme parks. 'Avatar,' and 'Twilight' was also on that exact same survey of what possible things guests would like to see at the Universal Orlando landscape in the future. From new lands to new attractions to merchandise, and character interactions. It's not 100% official, since in the past, such films like '300' was on a Universal theme park survey but do we see hot, half-naked muscle men walking around screaming, "I am a Spartan" today at Universal theme parks? No. They already have that at Caesar Palace in Las Vegas =) Should be noted too, Universal Studios Hollywood did not have the same survey this summer!

Though, Universal did a fantastic job with landing a Harry Potter agreement, and creating an exciting new land at Island's of Adventure that's giving Walt Disney World a run for it's money. Which, by the way, the new expansion of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom is a great big joke, in my opinion. It's main target, 6-25 year old girls! Do we really need two Dumbo rides, and 60% of the expansion being meet & greet "bed time" story telling to visitors?

Going back to 'Lord of the Rings' coming to Universal, figure all copyright right headaches from so many owners, MGM can't even make The Hobbit film possible, so I doubt we'll ever see a Lord of the Rings franchise at any Universal theme parks.

Anyway, the real attraction is 'Transformers: the Ride' coming to Universal Studios Hollywood next summer, that will top the technology used from Universal's Island's of Adventures top awarded attractions: 'The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man,' and 'Harry Potter and the Forbidden!' Journey.' Which Universal partly does own the rights to, they distributed the film internationally.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    Though, Universal did a fantastic job with landing a Harry Potter agreement, and creating an exciting new land at Island's of Adventure that's giving Walt Disney World a run for it's money. Which, by the way, the new expansion of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom is a great big joke, in my opinion. It's main target, 6-25 year old girls! Do we really need two Dumbo rides, and 60% of the expansion being meet & greet "bed time" story telling to visitors?
    How funny, after mentioning my biggest complaint about WDW's Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland expansion. News has officially come out that Disney is changing its Fantasyland expansion plans to attract boys, since most of the original plan targeted more towards young girls/women.

Source:
    Disney says Fantasyland expansion plans are changing | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com &

Quote Originally Posted by Jordiekins View Post
    I think it has a lot of potential, but it'd have to be done JUST right.
    I'd definitely love to see it happen.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to label the Harry Potter series as "children's books". While they may only be marketed in a America as such, around the world, the books are loved, celebrated, and even cherished by fans young and old. In fact, the UK published every book with an alternate "adult" cover, just to appease older fans.
    I disagree Harry Potter while loved by adults everywhere (including myself) it is a children's book. This is what has made WWOHP so popular Disneyland as well is for children like it or not so a lot of the fans like to feel like children when they attend which is why they are also the ones who enjoy Harry Potter. They're the perfect demographic for a theme park, deep pockets and an equally deep suspension of disbelief and willingness to be silly. Tolkien fans are much more serious. (There's a fricking language they speak)
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123