Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Universal considering Lord of the Rings?

I got a not-so-subtle email from the company with a survey that is more than highly suggestive that they are considering buying the rights to a wizarding world of Gandalf sort of deal.

It started off testing the waters by seeing if I was part of "that" sort of demographic, asking me about several related franchises like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

It then went on to a series of detailed questions about a potential LotR attraction/park, asking about the location, types of rides/attractions, merchandise, walking characters, etc. But we aren't thinking about that or anything...

"Imagine if you will a world unlike any you've ever visited before: it's Middle Earth, the ancient and beautiful land forged by J.R.R. Tolkien as the backdrop for his two most well known creations, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Walk as a human among dwarves, elves, orcs and hobbits -- all faithfully recreated and portrayed in the spirit of the original characters as they appeared in both the books and the movies. In this land you'll experience one-of-a-kind rides and attractions that bring to life some of the most memorable experiences of Tolkien's world including Bilbo's hobbit hole, the fortress at Isengard (before it was destroyed) and even the dark world of Mordor -- including the terrifying volcanic Mount Doom."

What do you guys think?
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Universal considering Lord of the Rings?

I really wish Disney would jump on LOTR for the 5th park at WDW.

Like Potter, it deserves more than just a "land", it deserves an entire park. If Universal were to do it and just re-do another of the "Islands" it wouldn't work ... at least IMO.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I would enjoy Lord of the Rings definitely.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Yeah, Clinks, I agree about the IOA thing. This would have to be a separate park, maybe a boutique park? There is definitely enough there to do a part. Plus, this is very soon after the announcement and following controversy about New Line doing The Hobbit. Coinky-dink? Maybe, maybe not
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I am going to disagree, and say that an Island for this would be perfect. While I love the books, movie and world that is Lord of the Rings, I do feel that a vast majority of people would not have the desire to visit such a place.... while it might be initially successful, the longevity of such an attraction would be suspect (think Star Trek experience in Las Vegas).

I think an Island at IOA would be amazing, but I would want it to be a large one... i.e. the rest of Lost Continent, the large section of Toon Lagoon right now that is just midway, stage, and really nothing, or replace Marvel Super Hero Island with LOTR... turn Spiderman into Escape from Mordor with Frodo & Sam

It would add to the epic scale of IOA.

Though I think after adding that, they'd just have to re name the whole park. "Franchises of Adventure" or "Islands of Nerdiness" XD

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I really wish Disney would jump on LOTR for the 5th park at WDW.

Like Potter, it deserves more than just a "land", it deserves an entire park. If Universal were to do it and just re-do another of the "Islands" it wouldn't work ... at least IMO.

After seeing Potter-land, I'm not sure that Disney could do justice to Lord of the Rings in a way that Universal could. Uni seems to be willing to spend the money, Disney doesn't.

Perhaps if there were more princess meet-n-greet opportunities in LotR.

I love me some Lord of the Rings, I hope someone does something good with this amazing property!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

And seeing how squeamish the price tag of a few princess M&G's made the Disney big-wigs, I doubt they'd touch it. Especially because they need not add more parks when the ones they already have need some love. Universal has got the money and has proven that it also has the ability to create and recreate in amazing detail. IF it can take a Disney attitude about it, then I think we'd have a really heated TDO vs. Uni battle. Maybe TDO would try to snatch away the rights to Dr. Seuss

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    After seeing Potter-land, I'm not sure that Disney could do justice to Lord of the Rings in a way that Universal could. Uni seems to be willing to spend the money, Disney doesn't.

I love me some Lord of the Rings, I hope someone does something good with this amazing property!
    I love it when Dusty's claws come out.

Also the employee training at UO is far superior to WDW.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I personally would have no interest in visiting a LOTR area in a theme park. I have no interest in the books or the movies (never read or seen any of them). I just don't get the appeal (like how I don't get the appeal of Twilight). Maybe because it's a little to "dungeons & dragons-y" for my liking (something an ex of mine LIVED for and practically rammed down my throat the whole time we were together, even though he knew I had absolutely no interest in it).

*shrug*

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I just took the survey. I would say that I open the LOTR attractions with open arms... the one funny part of the survey was where it asked if you wanted to see LOTR as a part of IOA or as it's own park behind the movie theatre at CityWalk... lol if you google map CityWalk you will see that there is no land back there lol

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Hey, Lord of the Rings has like... two princesses they could use. Ya know, Liv Tyler, and that one chick with the horse people... likes cross dressing... whatshername?

Worst part is, I just finished re-reading all the books, and I still can't remember. Curse you Tolkien for not making more interesting female characters!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    Maybe because it's a little to "dungeons & dragons-y" for my liking (something an ex of mine LIVED for and practically rammed down my throat the whole time we were together, even though he knew I had absolutely no interest in it).
    The reason Lord of the Rings seems dungeon and dragonsy is that Dungeons and Dragons massively ripped off Lord of the Rings. Pretty much any modern fantasy owes the series a humongous debt. Course, if you're not a fan of fantasy at all, then you probably won't like the grandfather of the genre.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• will-o-the-whip

I'd like to see a LotR land or park as well, and think it would do well.

While D&D, and all modern fantasy, owes a debt to Tolkien for sure, the creators also borrowed a great deal from Howard's Conan, Fritz Leiber's work, and Jack Vance's books (particularly the magic system which is not Tolkienesque in the least).

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I am going to disagree, and say that an Island for this would be perfect. While I love the books, movie and world that is Lord of the Rings, I do feel that a vast majority of people would not have the desire to visit such a place.... while it might be initially successful, the longevity of such an attraction would be suspect (think Star Trek experience in Las Vegas).
    I think fantasy has a much longer life then a particular series.

Remember LOTR can pretty much be tuned to incorporate any story you wish that includes elves, dwarves, humans, sorcery, and every mystical fantasy character. LOTR is an entirely different universe that pretty much is the foundation for all fantasy novels. It's potential is really endless.

If anything.. Harry Potter's world could be seen as just a slice of what a LOTR land could be.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think fantasy has a much longer life then a particular series.

Remember LOTR can pretty much be tuned to incorporate any story you wish that includes elves, dwarves, humans, sorcery, and every mystical fantasy character. LOTR is an entirely different universe that pretty much is the foundation for all fantasy novels. It's potential is really endless.

If anything.. Harry Potter's world could be seen as just a slice of what a LOTR land could be.
    Call me names, or disagree with me, but I honestly do not see a LOTR themed park attracting 5 - 7 million unique Orlando visitors a year.

If someone has some data that says otherwise, I would be thrilled to see it.

I think what will be telling, is when we have the attendance data for 2011. Once we have a full year of WWOHP we will begin to see the real impact it had on IOA and UO. If IOA is up a 1 million + I think we can see an expansion of WWOHP.

I PERSONALLY would like to see a UO branded/themed water park on property before I see another expansion of IOA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast