Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Hogwarts = the best queue ever?

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I might not be the best person to ask, as I already feel the queue to be an integral part of any attraction. A very good queue feels just like a walk-through attraction for me, and I'm the type that spends hours in those just looking at every single detail. Perhaps obsessive even by Disney fan standards. So yes, if the queue were a stand-alone "walk-through", I would certainly spend however long I need to fully admire every corner of rockwork and to take in every little detail. That's just me, but I hope my opinion has some value in this discussion.
    It most deff does

• MiceAge Columnist

I'm going to echo the TDS position. Hogwarts is as impressive as heck, and I think the best queue in the United States.

But TDR_Fan is right about the caldera in TDS. It really does dwarf any man-made object you've seen before. Literally a (small) mountain... but SCUPLTED in intricate detail, and done in a way that impresses and inspires rather than bores.

The line itself has tons to look at, and the boarding zone will take your breath away.

I raved about the FJ line, but I *RAVED* about the JttCetE line!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I'm going to echo the TDS position. Hogwarts is as impressive as heck, and I think the best queue in the United States.

But TDR_Fan is right about the caldera in TDS. It really does dwarf any man-made object you've seen before. Literally a (small) mountain... but SCUPLTED in intricate detail, and done in a way that impresses and inspires rather than bores.

The line itself has tons to look at, and the boarding zone will take your breath away.

I raved about the FJ line, but I *RAVED* about the JttCetE line!
    Forbidden Journey's queue is definitely my favorite of all the attraction queues in the U.S. Perhaps the only close rival would be the Temple of the Forbidden Eye at Disneyland which, while lacking the large-scale "WOW" factor of Hogwarts, certainly has as much to look at inside the incredibly long winding queue.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

While I haven't personally experienced the new Hogwarts Castle and the Forbidden Journey ride at Orlando (yet) but I have seen HD videos from diehard fans capturing moments of them walking up to the gates to walking inside to boarding the ride. I have to say, it's really amazingly detailed, and it's no doubt a fan's dream come true. It would be like stepping onto the set or in the book. Just like the feeling I felt for riding Jurassic Park: The Ride for the first time on grand opening in Hollywood but what really bothers me. I've heard they really down graded the heavily themed former Dueling Dragons queue area, man that queue was really awesome as well.

I always thought Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye waiting queue is still impressive today but one has to remember too. It's a long trek to get on the jeep, and if it was not detailed at all, it would be one BORING wait. I still have my card to decode the writings on the walls too, which paid off for the once 4 hour wait, to past the time, and now the line pretty much has good pace, and the card is useless but still fun to pull out =)

It's no doubt, since 1955's Disneyland, the waiting area became part of the story of the ride, a staple for all future theme parks to come. If one theme park in the industry would give Disney a run for its money, hands down, it would be Universal. They've been making movie magic for 98 years now, so they know something about illusion for its theme parks. Of course, Universal wants to keep that "studio" feel, unlike Islands of Adventures and it's other oversea parks where more of the "theme" is involved.

I mean, even though you walk in the themed Hollywood sections at Disney's theme parks at WDW/California Adventure or even at Universal Studios Orlando, nothing feels like the real thing as the original in Hollywood. Which I feel the same way about Disneyland, nothing beats the original! No other Disney park can capture the feeling of true "magic" of that place. Meaning, Walt placed his blood, sweat, and even lived in Disneyland... Basically his presence! It's not the same when visiting WDW, or the over Disney theme parks.

In the end, think its safe to say it's a tie between Hogwarts Castle and the Forbidden Journey & Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye for having the best atmosphere queues.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    In the end, think its safe to say it's a tie between Hogwarts Castle and the Forbidden Journey & Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye for having the best atmosphere queues.
    I 100% appreciate your opinion. I do. Understand that I am NOT a Harry Potter fan, but I am an Indy fan. I have been to Disneyland who knows how many times, it is the park of my childhood, and the park I have the most love and nostalgia for... that being said.

To me there is 0... i mean 0 comparison of Hogwarts to Indiana Jones Adventure. Not even in the same league. It would be like having a Farm League Team play a Professional Baseball Team.

While there are cool things in the Indy queue that i love... Hogwarts is simply breathtaking, and any photo or video you have seen does 0 justice to it.

• Minion

Temple of the Forbidden Eye isn't as breathtaking as entering Hogwarts, but it definitely doesn't fall behind in the storytelling and detail category for me. Every corner of the temple, every little design element, has a story behind it. If you have the orignal hand-drawn map of the Temple they were selling around 1995, you'll have an even greater appreciation for the depth of detail and cohesiveness the place has.

Here is a copy of the map they still have in the queue. Too bad you can't zoom close enough to read all the little notes written by Indy.

All available sizes | Indiana Jones Adventure Map | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Having not seen FJ yet, I think ToT is still my favorite queue.

It's a bit hokey, but I also have a fondness for E.T. Adventure's. Even the unique smell is strangely nostalgic.

• Minion FOREVER!

I haven't ridden FJ yet. But one thing that JTTCOT does that is truly impressive IMHO is that it is so well themed that the land blends seamlessly into the queue and into the ride.

And to answer the question about how I would feel about just going thru the queue alone: Yes, I would love to just go thru the queue by itself even though the ride is down.

In looking at the media available, it looks like FJ could be something like that, but one never knows until one actually experiences it.

Also another thing is that OLC keeps the queue in immaculate condition. We'll see if Universal is up to that challenge.

Unfortunately, it'll be several years till we can see it since we just went to WDW this past Spring.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    I haven't ridden FJ yet. But one thing that JTTCOT does that is truly impressive IMHO is that it is so well themed that the land blends seamlessly into the queue and into the ride.
    That is how I feel too. I have to say that the first glimpse of the volcanic caldera leading up to the grand caverns housing JttCotE's queue was by far the most awe-inspiring and immersive feeling I've ever felt in any theme park. There is a sense of realism that sends shivers down your spine- from the fully functioning machinery to the kinetic energy of the very active volcano. Everything is just so elaborately done and quite beyond anything I've seen in terms of detail. It doesn't have the magic or whimsy of Forbidden Journey's Hogwarts setting, but it definitely feels more overwhelming for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12