Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Hogwarts = the best queue ever?

So I have been racking my brain... Is there any other queue at any other theme park in the world, that rivals the amazing detail and immersive nature as the Hogwarts portion of the queue for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I am drawing a blank of anyone who even comes close. Indy in Cali is neat, but it is NOT Hogwarts. Tower of Terror in DHS is nice, but feels empty compared to Hogwarts. Men In Black at Universal Orlando is awesome, but still no where near Hogwarts.

Any thoughts?

Re: Hogwarts = the best queue ever?

Def Hogwarts... maybe Indy as a close second.... Star Tours was cool, but when I was a kid, then it kind of seemed trashy for a while, then I started using logic, and just convinced my self that Star Tours is for some reason operated by the rebellion. I did like the USO Simpson's line once you got inside to the "booth" area, with the animated characters.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Those pics bring back good memories. Thanks TDRFAN!

• Shablagoo!

I have not been to Hogwarts yet. However, one of the great ones was the Dueling Dragons queue. I am sad it is gone now.

• Minion

Sorry guys, pictures were removed as MiceChat prohibits links to other Disney boards. But I'll repeat my opinions since they were removed as well. I think in terms of detail and scope, the elaborate queue at Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo DisneySea is on par with the extensive queue at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Sorry guys, pictures were removed as MiceChat prohibits links to other Disney boards. But I'll repeat my opinions since they were removed as well. I think in terms of detail and scope, the elaborate queue at Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo DisneySea is on par with the extensive queue at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
    I saw your pics. And until I go there, I can't really argue one way or another. But I went to Forbidden Journey again today, and It is just stunning everywhere. Takes my breath away.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I saw your pics. And until I go there, I can't really argue one way or another. But I went to Forbidden Journey again today, and It is just stunning everywhere. Takes my breath away.
    For sure. I am a big fan of the books and films, and the entire Hogwarts area is just overwhelming for me. It's just so well done and pure magic, especially being able to connect with everything. I was the only Potter fan in my party, which was unfortunate because of all the brilliant references to the different objects and characters in the series. Regardless, walking into the Hogwarts castle is spectacular even if you have no idea what's going on.

I think that's something both queues have in common. Even if you are not familiar with the works of Jules Verne, walking into the Mysterious Island caldera is just a mindblowing experience for everyone (the gigantic rock structure blows all the Disney Mountains out of the water in scale and scope). It's impossible for me to say which queue is better, and I think it simply boils down to whether you prefer exploring an active volcano or castle (both are grander than any other show building I've experienced). Journey to the Center of the Earth and Forbidden Journey are unrivalled in terms of their level of theming and attention to detail. Every corner you look is fully themed and highly polished, and there are wonderful treasures to discover in each queue to warrant repeated visits.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

For sure. I am a big fan of the books and films, and the entire Hogwarts area is just overwhelming for me. It's just so well done and pure magic, especially being able to connect with everything. I was the only Potter fan in my party, which was unfortunate because of all the brilliant references to the different objects and characters in the series. Regardless, walking into the Hogwarts castle is spectacular even if you have no idea what's going on.

I think that's something both queues have in common. Even if you are not familiar with the works of Jules Verne, walking into the Mysterious Island caldera is just a mindblowing experience for everyone (the gigantic rock structure blows all the Disney Mountains out of the water in scale and scope). It's impossible for me to say which queue is better, and I think it simply boils down to whether you prefer exploring an active volcano or castle (both are grander than any other show building I've experienced). Journey to the Center of the Earth and Forbidden Journey are unrivalled in terms of their level of theming and attention to detail. Every corner you look is fully themed and highly polished, and there are wonderful treasures to discover in each queue to warrant repeated visits.
    ahhhhhhh Another reason to visit the Tokyo Disney Resort.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think in terms of detail and scope, the elaborate queue at Journey to the Center of the Earth in Tokyo DisneySea is on par with the extensive queue at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
    Not even close in my opinion. Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Tower of Terror at Tokyo Disney Sea all have amazing queues beyond anything at other Disney parks. However, the Forbidden Journey of Harry Potter is so far beyond anything that has ever been done before from a detail, story, and special effects point of view. The Harry Potter queue is essentially an attraction in its own right. It is the new high water mark for theme park attractions.

Hogwarts is absolutely the best theme park queue currently in existence.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Not even close in my opinion. Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Tower of Terror at Tokyo Disney Sea all have amazing queues beyond anything at other Disney parks. However, the Forbidden Journey of Harry Potter is so far beyond anything that has ever been done before from a detail, story, and special effects point of view. The Harry Potter queue is essentially an attraction in its own right. It is the new high water mark for theme park attractions.

That is how I am feeling. I would rather stand in the the Stand by queue, than single rider, or express, because I want to experience the whole thing. I felt like the line was moving too fast for me to truly experience the queue... I have never experienced that before.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Harry Potter looks like it has topped all, but these would all fall next in line

Indy came to my mind, especially with temple courtyard, incredible statues, with props from the movie, all the variations in the queue, from the ground to the ceiling, and the details showing the 3 choices you are offered, the interactive items including the collapsing ceiling and the "rope trick" in the well, the safety film (before it got hacked) was the incredibly themed, Indy's office, all the various Mara Heiroglyphics throughout the entire queue, including the one over the water fountains that says choose wisely, the huge interior queue rotunda and all that detailing,

then their is the Haunted Mansion queue, with the welcome foyer, the stretching room, the hanging, the changing portait, the busts that follow you as you walk toward your Doom, . . . . Buggy

the Roger Rabbit queue is also incredibly themed as you walk thriough the streets of toontown, pass Jessica Rabbits Dressing Room with the blown out brick wall (with a hole in the shape of a heart) in front of her room, the entrance to the Ink and Paint Club with it's doorman opening the window occassionally, siloette of Jessica passing by, the Dip machine, bulletin board showing the order of the acts, the back side of Baby Herman's Baby Carriage, siloette of a weasel passing by on an upper window, the specialized license plates, just a ton of detailed items in Roger's queue.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

That is how I am feeling. I would rather stand in the the Stand by queue, than single rider, or express, because I want to experience the whole thing. I felt like the line was moving too fast for me to truly experience the queue... I have never experienced that before.
    I felt the same way Eric. We were lucky to visit the attraction before it opened to the public, so we breezed through the queue. But when we went back to actually wait in line we were even more amazed by the detail (in every nook and book and artifact) and even more by the building level of actual storytelling in each room of the queue.

It is a beautiful experience which left me totally high on Universal. That one ride has completely changed how I feel about that entire resort. And in some ways, it has diminished Disney a bit in my eyes as well, since Disney just doesn't build at this level of detail in the United States any more. But Universal apparently does.

Universal Creative (and the consultants they work with) is the new Imagineering (which most of them once were).

If there is one thing that a Disney fan needs to see this year, it's Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It will change the way you view theme parks and what you expect from them.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

I don't know about that. Perhaps I have a different eye for judging queues, but I certainly think that the Journey to the Center of the Earth queue is as impressive as Harry Potter's. There are more special effects in Harry Potter's, and they certainly are cool, but I am equally as wowed by the elaborate rockwork and endless details in the Journey queue. In terms of detail, I look at quality over quantity. I don't look at how many different things there are to see. Instead, I look at the quality of what is there. And I certainly think that the theming in Journey's queue is as elaborate as anything in Potter.

Story-wise, Harry Potter certainly has the advantage of having a well-established following, but the queue was not easy to follow for my partners who had no knowledge of the Potter universe. On the contrary, the timeless nature of Verne's works was easily understood. In any case, I think Journey's queue tells the story just as well- if in a more subtle way. The Terravators add that extra layer of storytelling that even Harry Potter doesn't have in my opinion.

Just like theme park attractions, I don't think one can objectively declare any queue the "best". Everybody has different preferences, different qualities they feel are the most appealing. My travelling partners all felt just as amazed by the Journey queue as the Hogwarts queue, and it was difficult for us to pick a favorite. But that's the beauty of thematic design. There is something that appeals to everyone.
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 08-31-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Typo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I don't think one can objectively declare any queue the "best". Everybody has different preferences, different qualities they feel are the most appealing. My travelling partners all felt just as amazed by the Journey queue as the Hogwarts queue, and it was difficult for us to pick a favorite. But that's the beauty of thematic design. There is something that appeals to everyone.
    I guess here is the test TDR_Fan... if the Journey to the Center of the Earth queue, just emptied straight back into Tokyo DisneySea, do you think it would have been an hour well spent?

That is how I feel about hogwarts. I feel like the Forbidden Journey is the cherry on top of an amazing experience.

• Minion

I guess here is the test TDR_Fan... if the Journey to the Center of the Earth queue, just emptied straight back into Tokyo DisneySea, do you think it would have been an hour well spent?

That is how I feel about hogwarts. I feel like the Forbidden Journey is the cherry on top of an amazing experience.
    I might not be the best person to ask, as I already feel the queue to be an integral part of any attraction. A very good queue feels just like a walk-through attraction for me, and I'm the type that spends hours in those just looking at every single detail. Perhaps obsessive even by Disney fan standards. So yes, if the queue were a stand-alone "walk-through", I would certainly spend however long I need to fully admire every corner of rockwork and to take in every little detail. That's just me, but I hope my opinion has some value in this discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast