• Minion

need help ASAP :)

hey everybody, I usually frequent the WDW side but i have an urgent question so i figured I would direct it over here. I managed to tack on a day at universal to our tampa area vacation because I still haven't seen potter world and I really want to see jaws one last time. I will be going there either the 28th or 29th of dec seeing as i thought those would be the two least busy days out of this very busy time. Because i usually have a couple days to enjoy the parks I need some help on making a super plan if you will, 1 day 2 parks, lets get it on. Again because im coming from the tampa area I will only be able to get there about 30 mins-an hour after opening so this will need to be factored into the plan but i will be there the whole day until closing (aprox 9am-11pm). bellow is a list of attractions and restaurants, hope you guys can help me out!

Must see Attractions
    Rip ride rock it coaster
    Revenge of the mummy
    Jaws
    Men in black
    Simpsons
    ET
    Either horror movie makeup show or Terminator 2 3D
    Dragon challenge
    forbidden journey
    Jurassic park
    Hulk
    Spiderman

If there is time
    Popeye and Bluto's river rafts
    Ollivanders
    Poseidon's furry
    Cat in the hat
    the other of Either horror movie makeup show or Terminator 2 3D
    the grinch christmas special
    shrek 4-d
    Twister

Restaurants (need one for lunch and one for dinner)
    Mythos
    Margaritaville
    Lombards seafood grill
    richter burger
    three broomsticks
    classic monsters cafe
    mels drive in
    (hopefully a snack from green eggs and ham if their open)!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: need help ASAP :)

Ok I am going to make my list in the order in which I believe they should be done (so they are in a logical walking order).

Islands of Adventures:
    1. Forbidden Journey
    2. Dragon Challenge (Red)
    3. Dragon Challenge (Blue)
    4. Jurassic Park River Adventure
    a) Ripsaw Falls (if it is only 11:00am and the wait times for Popeye's and Ripsaw are under 15 mins ride them)
    b) Popey's Bilge Rat Barges (if there is time)
    5. Spider-Man
    c) Doctor Doom's Fearfall (if it is only 12:00 and the line for Doctor Dooms is under 10 mins then ride it)
    6. The Incredible Hulk
    d) Cat in the Hat (if it is before 12:30 and the line is under 10 mins)
    e) High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride (if it is before 12:30 and the line is under 5 mins)
    7. Posideon's Fury

Universal Studios:
    1. Rip it Ride it Rockit
    a) Shrek 4-D (if you park hop over here before 1pm and there is a wait time of less than 15 mins or it is near the end of the day and there is wait time of less than 15 mins)
    b) Twister Ride it Out (if you park hop over here before 1pm and there is a wait time of less than 15 mins or it is near the end of the day and there is wait time of less than 15 mins)
    2. Revenge of the Mummy
    c) DISASTER! : Staring You (if it is before 2pm and the wait time is less than 20 minutes)
    3. JAWS
    4. MIB
    e) Fear Factor LIVE (if it is early in the day or you can catch the last showing)
    5. The Simpsons
    6. ET
    f) Animal Actors LIVE: On Location (if you catch a showing and it is early in the day)
    7. The Horror and Make Up Show
    8. Terminator 2: 3-D

If you navigate with confidence you really might be able to do both parks, but if not, enjoy the sights sounds and the best attractions in Orlando.

As far as restaurants go....Mythos is by far the best as far as value, quality, and atmosphere is concerned. However with it's location you might not be in the right spot during the day for lunch.

But if you can, I highly recommend it.

Sometimes what I do, is I spend the first half of the day at IOA, then as I walk over to UO, I dine at HardRock Cafe (they make a mean burger and any burger can be turned into a veggie burger, and they make great salads) then I hop right into UO through the Blue Man Group entrance at the back of HardRock Cafe.

This will put you past the congested main entrance and you will avoid any lines that might be at the main turnstiles.
    Last edited by KingEric; 12-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    If you navigate with confidence you really might be able to do both parks, but if not, enjoy the sights sounds and the best attractions in Orlando.

As far as restaurants go....Mythos is by far the best as far as value, quality, and atmosphere is concerned. However with it's location you might not be in the right spot during the day for lunch.

But if you can, I highly recommend it.

Sometimes what I do, is I spend the first half of the day at IOA, then as I walk over to UO, I dine at HardRock Cafe (they make a mean burger and any burger can be turned into a veggie burger, and they make great salads) then I hop right into UO through the Blue Man Group entrance at the back of HardRock Cafe.

This will put you past the congested main entrance and you will avoid any lines that might be at the main turnstiles.
    Much thanks king Eric! hopefully the crowd situation wont be to bad on one of the days ive picked any thoughts on that? I would love to get that volume of attractions completed if i could but worst case scenario we will cut out a few of our less liked attractions to re ride our favorites. If i were to do Mythos it would most likely be for lunch as I would want to hit city walk for dinner time and switch parks to see the Grinchtacular show in seussville, again if crunched for time i would use a counter service. if i do that what would you recommend? ive been to universal 3 times now and have only been to two CS's.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

For crowd volumes I always look at the price of Express Pass for that day.

So Express Pass starts at 19.99 for a 1 park, and goes all the way up to 79.99 for 1 park or 89.99 for both parks.

Ok sadly for both days the express pass price is
    Islands of Adventure: 79.99
    Universal Studios: 59.99

What that means is that IOA is going to be extremely busy peak crowds and USF will be busy.

That said you are going to have to limit yourself to only the essentials, and you are going to need to head back to WWOHP and get a Return Ticket (like a fast pass) to experience the WWOHP while you go an experience other attractions at IOA.

I hope this helps.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'd like to throw out the suggestion of Confisco Grille as a place to eat at IOA. It's usually overlooked as it's in the Port of Entry area, but the food is really good and the prices are very reasonable.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think you'll be pushing serious commando to get it all done during a busy day.

Tip - water rides are SOAKING water rides. Do not ride unless you have alternate shoes and clothes/poncho. But I do think the rides are worth it! But you must plan ahead.

The main thing going for you is the very long park hours those days.. those hours are like 50% longer then they are most of the rest of the year.

How big is your party? That influences if you think express pass is worth it... or possibly consider booking a room on property solely for the express pass perk. Their site is broken right now so I can't check availability.. but a room can hold up to 5 people... so $300+ a night divided by 5 is still only $60 per person. That may be worth it for you for the express pass. It also gets you into WWOHP an hour early, which could be the difference on a xmas week day like this.

I don't have any direct experience with UO during these holiday periods, but I have to imagine the park people suffer from 'long day fatigue' and lines would be shorter in the evening.

We were there in Oct.. and the shows people poop on... I still found to be great. T2, Shrek, etc are still solid shows. Don't miss Donkey outside Shrek!!

Posidens Fury is 'ok'. Twister is 'ok'. Disaster I would skip if pushed simply because of the long show cycle and limited value. The climax is respectable, but its basically the same as the tram tour canyon in DHS but indoors.

I ate at Mythos... I don't see the hype. Its an actual sit down which is nice for a theme park, but nothing to seek out IMO. Just eat counter service and save your time and energy for theme park stuff

I would spread the motion simulators out if you can... they were a bit too much stacked up even for my kids. Things like MIB spins too much, along with spiderman. Those added to Simpsons, FJ, etc and my kids tired of the motion sim stuff.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think you'll be pushing serious commando to get it all done during a busy day.

Tip - water rides are SOAKING water rides. Do not ride unless you have alternate shoes and clothes/poncho. But I do think the rides are worth it! But you must plan ahead.

The main thing going for you is the very long park hours those days.. those hours are like 50% longer then they are most of the rest of the year.

How big is your party? That influences if you think express pass is worth it... or possibly consider booking a room on property solely for the express pass perk. Their site is broken right now so I can't check availability.. but a room can hold up to 5 people... so $300+ a night divided by 5 is still only $60 per person. That may be worth it for you for the express pass. It also gets you into WWOHP an hour early, which could be the difference on a xmas week day like this.

I don't have any direct experience with UO during these holiday periods, but I have to imagine the park people suffer from 'long day fatigue' and lines would be shorter in the evening.

We were there in Oct.. and the shows people poop on... I still found to be great. T2, Shrek, etc are still solid shows. Don't miss Donkey outside Shrek!!

Posidens Fury is 'ok'. Twister is 'ok'. Disaster I would skip if pushed simply because of the long show cycle and limited value. The climax is respectable, but its basically the same as the tram tour canyon in DHS but indoors.

I ate at Mythos... I don't see the hype. Its an actual sit down which is nice for a theme park, but nothing to seek out IMO. Just eat counter service and save your time and energy for theme park stuff

I would spread the motion simulators out if you can... they were a bit too much stacked up even for my kids. Things like MIB spins too much, along with spiderman. Those added to Simpsons, FJ, etc and my kids tired of the motion sim stuff.
    thanks for the advice flynn, the express pass wouldn't be worth it as there's just two of us as we are driving back to our place in tampa right after anyways for the room idea and the express pass without the room for both parks would cost more then the actual park hopper ticket itself which is ridiculous. weve been to universal enough now that we know the ins and outs its just hard to make a solid plan for a one day visit, even for experienced visitors lol.i love T2 and shrek also, i miss the original hitchcock attraction though as well , that was a classic. i really just wanted to try mythos to see what all the hype is about but i doubt well get in there anyways considering how busy i will assume it to be. like i said before though well be there about 45 mins after park opening untill 11 so that should in theory be enough time to catch everything and hopefully we are hitting the park in a travel day between the Christmas groups leaving and new years groups coming

• Pilot EdForceOne

mythos - no different then my local town chain resturants IMO. It wasn't too pricey and was certainly nicer then eating from an ODV But we also ate at Mels and the only knock on Mels was it was crowded where Mythos being table service is more relaxed.

I think Rip Rocket will be your worst time sink... you may consider hitting that early. FJ is a people eater and also offers a decent single rider. We had bad luck with singer rider on Rip Rocket.

On FJ, go straight to the lockers if they let you (vs waiting in queue before the lockers) by going up the single rider line, and then pick your path from there.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    mythos - no different then my local town chain resturants IMO. It wasn't too pricey and was certainly nicer then eating from an ODV But we also ate at Mels and the only knock on Mels was it was crowded where Mythos being table service is more relaxed.

I think Rip Rocket will be your worst time sink... you may consider hitting that early. FJ is a people eater and also offers a decent single rider. We had bad luck with singer rider on Rip Rocket.

On FJ, go straight to the lockers if they let you (vs waiting in queue before the lockers) by going up the single rider line, and then pick your path from there.
    so would you recommend going to the studios first or IOA?? i heard they will close the HP area if there are to many people in it so I thought I would go first to IOA. heres my plan right now, see what you think, i would love to hear some tweaks if you have them:

go straight to IOA just for potter, Jurassic park river ride and spiderman then hit the entire studios park, do lunch in park there (if theres time lombards TS if not richter burger CS), get out for dinner time and hit a city walk restaurant (most likely margaritaville) to regroup relax and get ready for the rest of the day, then head back to IOA until close doing everything there, this might mean ill miss dudley and popeye but oh well already hit jurassic park and ive already rode both multiple times, plus the sprayers can be more fun then the rides sometimes . also shows would all be based on their times and how much time we still have left to do everything, except the grinchmas spectacular which is a much watch event lol. thoughts?

• Pilot EdForceOne

IOA first is the standard mantra.. mostly due to trying to get to Olivanders and FJ before it gets out of hand (or land goes into lockdown). But I haven't heard of land going into lockdown recently - but that might just be lack of knowledge.

Rip Rocket and FJ are the biggest waits in the resort.. FJ should be better capacity though.

It's a tossup.. HP first tho is the preference of most. The risk for both is breakdowns and that really hurts queuing.

Since WWOHP is a focus of the trip.. its probably best to go there first, get your fill, and then that gives you the choice to go back to it again later for repeats. Rip Rocket will either be an hour wait or hope for best in single rider.

Since you've been to the rest of the park before.. prioritize HP is my feedback.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

thanks flynn, ill send a report back when i arrive home