• Sock Puppet

Exclamation USH: Wizarding World of Harry Potter out of theme?

There have been countless debates on here about how attractions like Monsters Inc do NOT fit the 'studio theme' of the Hollywood area at DCA. So, to be fair, the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter really does NOT fit USH's studio theme if you think about it. It worked theme-wise in Orlando because this land is in Islands of Adventure, anything with 'adventure' is really fair game. However, Harry Potter's Hogwarts will be at the studio park here in Hollywood. USH is themed to a studio, what does Hogwarts have to do with a movie studio? Plus, Harry Potter isnt even Universal, its Warner Bros. So it doesnt fit the studio theme AND isnt even produced by the right studio!

If we are going to hold Disney accountable for things like this, its only fair to hold Universal's feet to the fire as well.

Re: USH: Wizarding World of Harry Potter out of theme?

While I definitely do think Universal needs to use their own properties (especially at its HQ), Universal has never truly been an area with lands or really any theme. It's pretty bluntly, a place with rides scattered about based on movies. Universals only "theme parks" are IoA and USS. Other than that, if it was based on a movie it fits anywhere in their mind.

USH works kind of like a Greatest Hits compilation. Some of the best attractions gathered in one place without much thought or care when considering how to present or arrange them.

Also, a Greatest Hits album probably doesn't have your favorite song on it, but it has the ones that they're best known for...
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

I don't understand this complaint. Yes, USH is a movie studio, but most of Universal's attractions have nothing to do with film production. They're simply based on a film or television property. You "ride the movies" by being put into that world. So Harry Potter is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    While I definitely do think Universal needs to use their own properties (especially at its HQ), Universal has never truly been an area with lands or really any theme. It's pretty bluntly, a place with rides scattered about based on movies. Universals only "theme parks" are IoA and USS.
    USF has themed lands. So does USJ. USH is the only Universal park that isn't set up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    USF has themed lands. So does USJ. USH is the only Universal park that isn't set up that way.
    I'll give you USJ. But I guess when I think of a land, I think of cohesiveness. At opening, USF had this down, but I think later on it became less put together. Of course, it's a studio park which kinda gives it liberties from the traditional land. It's hard to explain in words but comparing IoA to USF or DHS to any other WDW park and you'll see what I'm getting at.

If you're trying to say that some of the individual attractions don't fit thematically in their respective lands, I would agree. They've made some mistakes there. However, each area is still meant to represent a specific location (minus Kidzone.)

The same can be said for DHS, to an extent. It has several very distinct areas of its own, although much of that park is just studio randomness.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

You're making a rather bad comparison. Universal Studios Hollywood is not themed to a studio, it IS a studio with attractions. It's a very different animal. It's definitely different than what Universal Studios Hollywood has at the present, but the park gets to be a mash of this and that because it is authentic, it really is a studio where the concern is about the immediate.

Monstropolis doesn't fit because its going into Hollywood Land, not Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The land is supposed to be moving towards a 1930s/1940s Golden Age of Hollywood. Yes, a Monstropolis done up as a set could fit a studio theme, but that's the problem with faking the chaos of a studio; it's an excuse to not theme, not create a non-place.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    You're making a rather bad comparison. Universal Studios Hollywood is not themed to a studio, it IS a studio with attractions.
    This. The Mummy at USF is a great example of an attraction themed to being in a studio. Explain to me how USH's Jurassic Park is themed to a movie studio? Same with T2, The Mummy, Shrek, The Simpsons, Transformers etc. etc. Once you step foot into these rides, you are in those worlds, from the pre-show video all of the way through. There is no allusion to being in a studio. WWoHP will be the same way. Once you step foot into that attraction (and YES the whole land is an "attraction", the distinction between the two is irrelevant) you will be in that world, not on a studio lot.

USH, as others have said, is and has always been a greatest hits of individual attractions themed either to a movie OR a real working studio. WWoHP will fit just fine.

One last note... I do agree that most hold Disney to a higher standard than Universal, but I don't think thats the case here.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."