Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Singing Drinker

Re: Comcast to "step up" spending on UOR and USH once again

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping they'd go straight to the plus version with train ride & especially underground bank coaster. I hope at least they come up with something original other than the Dragons & Hippogriff coasters, since those were just existing rides adapted to the new theme.
    I *believe* (sorry, don't have time to go back through eight thousand fan page posts at the moment for something more concrete) that the outdoor coasters that were repurposed for HP are not part of the plan. Uni's got very wealthy neighbors who are VERY lawsuit happy and likely not all that supportive of the massive property expansion that is coming. I would guess that everything noisy's going to be indoors, and Uni HAS basically said that there are a few "surprises" in the build. Who knows? It might be Gringott's. It'd help fill an otherwise abysmal ride count for the brand new area.

The details are all hazy, and at this point I do not believe they have broken ground for anything beyond at most backlot infrastructure upgrades - I saw them laying a large amount of pipes over the course of the last few months up by Falls Lake/Amphitheatre, which is close by the area most believe the expansion is going into.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

As someone who worked in the Finance Division when Universal was building the Harry Potter land orginially (2010), I was disapointed with the head of the parks division's answer at the Quarterly Review Meeting when asked "Is Disney woried about the Universal expansion and do they have any plans to meet this new competition?" and the answer was Universal is not really competition for Disney, if anything it will increase Disney attendance because people will come to WDW and stay and extra day (at WDW resorts) to go to Universal...I think Disney needs to recognize competition when they see it and step it up or be rolled over....
    Oh... I just love happy endings.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose13 View Post
    As someone who worked in the Finance Division when Universal was building the Harry Potter land orginially (2010), I was disapointed with the head of the parks division's answer at the Quarterly Review Meeting when asked "Is Disney woried about the Universal expansion and do they have any plans to meet this new competition?" and the answer was Universal is not really competition for Disney, if anything it will increase Disney attendance because people will come to WDW and stay and extra day (at WDW resorts) to go to Universal...I think Disney needs to recognize competition when they see it and step it up or be rolled over....
    Good thing Universal is building a steam roller. lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Is it bad of me if I want Universal Studios to just blow Disney completely out of the water? Don't get me wrong, I love both parks for many reasons, but I just want someone or something to slap some reality sense into Disney so they can finally step up their game, like they should have been doing years ago.

So yeah, hooray for Universal. They have more money to spend on the parks!

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

^Absolutely not. Competition is a great thing.

I want Disney and Universal to go to war with each other, and try to out do one another. Because at the end of the day, we the fans win.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    ^Absolutely not. Competition is a great thing.

I want Disney and Universal to go to war with each other, and try to out do one another. Because at the end of the day, we the fans win.
    That is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Is it bad of me if I want Universal Studios to just blow Disney completely out of the water? Don't get me wrong, I love both parks for many reasons, but I just want someone or something to slap some reality sense into Disney so they can finally step up their game, like they should have been doing years ago.
    I feel the same way. My only real concern is I am not a fan of Comcast and I tend to put my blinders on when I think about the "evil empire" receiving my money.

However, if Disney is too ignorant or tired or whatever they are to offer true value and entertainment, I'm very happy to have an option. Evil Empire + HP 2 or Sleeping Empire + Dwarf Train? Guess I'll keep my blinders on for now

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DuckyDelite View Post
    I feel the same way. My only real concern is I am not a fan of Comcast and I tend to put my blinders on when I think about the "evil empire" receiving my money.

However, if Disney is too ignorant or tired or whatever they are to offer true value and entertainment, I'm very happy to have an option. Evil Empire + HP 2 or Sleeping Empire + Dwarf Train? Guess I'll keep my blinders on for now
    Yeah I guess I just don't understand how you and others are still drawn to Disney.

I go to Orlando theme parks ever weekend, so I am pretty jaded, and num to the "magic" but I have family from across the country who either:

1. start out their Orlando vacations excited about Disney, but then halfway through want something different

2. Feel Disney has nothing for them, and are now experiencing Universal and SeaWorld because Disney has lost their business.

But I go to the WDW parks, and I wonder all the time "why are people paying these prices, when there is a better product and value down the street"

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Well said Eric. I go to WDW once every few years and I go to UOR, SWO, and BGT just about every month or two. I get better bang for my AP dollar at all those parks than I do at WDW and at a better price. But that's just my opinion.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• former CM

I like this thread.

I imagine that Micechatters are:
    1. more knowledgeable than most Florida & CA tourists about what's coming to Orlando and S. California theme parks, and
    2. trying to like Disney because of positive childhood trips to Disney parks, and/or trips to currently excellent parks at the Disneyland Resort and at Tokyo Disneyland.

If Disney were more visionary or at least more long-term they'd fear that some of its potentially biggest fans are more excited about what's coming to Universal Orlando than what's coming to WDW. Believe it or not, WDW would not even be on my 8-year-olds sand bucket list, if she had one. She does want to go to Universal Orlando.

I fully agree with point 2 from personal experience. I know a real life friend who is a huge huge HUGE Disneyland fan from a very young age and has love the Disney Corp and Disney Parks ever since, and loves to dwell into the very minute and small details of the parks. However he disregards any and all of the other parks as satanic money hungry companies, from Universal Studios being a penny milker of movie franchises to Knotts Berry Farm which is second worst to Six Flags as ugliest park with all the free standing metal structures. Some people just believe what they want to believe; Disney is the best and cannot be beat.

Now I am not saying that the VAST majority think like that, but I am speaking from personal experience, and SOME think like that. Blinded by the light pretty much?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

You can bet as soon as Disney announces Star Wars Land, Universal will announce Lord of the Rings land

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    You can bet as soon as Disney announces Star Wars Land, Universal will announce Lord of the Rings land
    You are probably right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12