Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Comcast to "step up" spending on UOR and USH once again

It looks like they're going to start investing even more money in both Universal parks in the US.

Comcast to speed up spending at Universal theme parks
    Comcast to speed up spending at Universal theme parks - OrlandoSentinel.com
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

Re: Comcast to "step up" spending on UOR and USH once again

Not surprised at all.

They start heavy construction on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Hollywood next month.

• Singing Drinker

Universal's upped their game considerably, this sounds like a commitment to continuing to push.

If Disney's not looking in the rear view mirror and worrying, then things aren't going to go well for the Mouse parks soon.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    If Disney's not looking in the rear view mirror and worrying, then things aren't going to go well for the Mouse parks soon.
    Exactly. For more than a quarter century, Disney has been too smug, too self satisfied and too arrogant to do any real rear-view-mirror worrying, and they're not about to start now -- "We're Disney, You're Not" is in their corporate DNA. Their answer to competition from Universal is beancounter games like MyMagicEverything, squeezing more cash from the customers without creating great new attractions, much less great new lands. Typified by second-hand-store ideas like "Avatarland," Disney's corporate vision for its theme parks is so chronically narrow that they're extremely unlikely to knock the momentum out of Universal's charge.

What Disney doesn't understand is, it's a battle of internal attitudes -- theirs vs. Universal's. And in that war, they are already losing.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-01-2013 at 02:08 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Good news....I'd love Universal to have more rides and shows...and be up to par with Disney

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Here's how I see it. Disney has been out front for so long that they laped the field five times. They grew so comfortable with their lead that they turned off their in car driver to crew radio. Now Universal is on the lead lap and is quickly catching up and if they're not careful, Universal will pull off one of Cale Yarborough's famous last lap sling shot passes and will leave Disney in the dust.
    Current coaster count: 166
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Six Flags over Georgia

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I think the momentum that Universal has going is pretty incredible. I am excited to see them continue that momentum.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    They start heavy construction on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Hollywood next month.
    It's not really clear in the article, but it sounds like Comcast is adding another $500M to their existing budget. So this is in addition to what they already budgeted for Potter in Hollywood? I'm wondering if this is also in addition to what they were planning for the Jurassic Park expansion in Orlando. If so, this is some amazing news. Additional spending for 2 more Potter-sized expansions?!

Gonna be interesting to see if Disney is still just talking about concept art at D23.

• Singing Drinker

The Vision Plan for USH that's been approved by the city's pretty striking. In addition to what's already been talked about there's at least one more likely "park" expansion and a few studio tour expansions planned. No info beyond the blocks on the VP, but it's definitely an exciting time.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• From the Garums

Disney's aware of the increased spending, they are an enormouse (pun intended) and risk-averse corporation. They want to see if the Universal attendance momentum fizzles or continues before they start heavily investing again in all of their parks. I think of the opening of Islands of Adventure, when Disney had 4 E Tickets prepped to open in case they began losing significant business. They kept their finger off the trigger, which turned out to be the right decision for them as a business, if not for us as fans.

Disney is also counting on their new IPs, Avatar and Star Wars, also boosting their own attendance and cutting off the Universal parks growth.

My hope as a fan of Disney is that neither of these do particularly well, which sounds pessimistic. But...
    1) Star Wars already has a pretty decent presence in the parks, and I wonder if between Jedi Training Academy for kids, the Star Tours for families, and Star Wars Weekends for diehard fans, they've completely tapped out their possible guests who would come for Star Wars. They're also going to have to be VERY careful marketing this. Most people won't be paying enough attention to recognize that Star Wars land is a new land, as opposed to a weird upgrade. New Fantasy land failed as a marketing campaign, due in part to people not understanding what exactly was new or going on, and so did IoA when it first opened.

2) Avatar is not a strong enough IP to bring in crowds. It hasn't been spoken of in 5 years, it's not part of the cultural media narrative anymore.

Now, I don't want these to fail out of anger, I want them to fail because a couple of high profile failures like that are just about the only way the Disney Corporation will begin to reexamine their "synergy & cross-promotional" strategy, and return to the original design methodologies of Tony Baxter et al.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^While Star Wars will help bring people in.....unless its a NEW attraction or land I don't think a show or something will really hurt Potterland

So they can buy up as many properties as they like but unless they use them in the right away, it wont hurt Potterland

• Singing Drinker

HP's got a much better potential down-the-road path than a lot of other expansion ideas. Stripped of the Rowling-specific, it's still a fantasy village full of magical junk. SW's likely to weather the years as well (sci-fi being sci-fi and the movies having now a several decade release span).

What's the latest on the Hollywood HP park? Is it known whether they will be building a park similar in size to the original in Orlando, or will they start off with the plus-size version that Orlando is now expanding to?

• Singing Drinker

The details are still hazy, but the last news I'd heard (admittedly rumors for the most part) combined with the size of the expansion from the publicly posted Vision Plan suggest it's HP 1.0. Uni HAS gone on record that it will be with "improvements and corrections" placed in FL, but my suspicion is that's more along the lines of "We're building a jeffing huge Olivander's, get off our backs".

Thanks. I was hoping they'd go straight to the plus version with train ride & especially underground bank coaster. I hope at least they come up with something original other than the Dragons & Hippogriff coasters, since those were just existing rides adapted to the new theme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast