$2 billion Universal Studios set for Beijing

Universal Studios To Build $2 Billion Hollywood-Themed Resort in Beijing

Work start in 4th quarter this year and aims to open in 2018.

So both HKDL and SHDL will have a very strong competitor for theme park visitors.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Re: $2 billion Universal Studios set for Beijing

I think it wont affect much since Disney and Universal Studios both serve different targets and guests. I do love some Universal Studios rides, but that's it. There rides dont give me the atmosphere that I can only find in Disney park. I'm glad that it will be located at Beijing, just like Universal Osaka. If they build it next to Disney, people can see a big contrast between 2 resorts.

I think the big competitor to HKDL is SHDL, since most of visitors are from Mainland. In 2016 and 2017, SHDL will sure to become one the most visited park on earth, just like any other Flagship Disney Castle Park (HKDL is exceptional).
    Last edited by Duyanh92; 03-05-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
    Instagram
    Flickr
    Youtube

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Wow, interesting news. Thanks for sharing!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Universal can't compete against Disney in the United States or Japan. This will be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Universal can't compete against Disney in the United States or Japan. This will be no different.
    I am not so sure that's true in Orlando, especially from this summer onwards.

USJ is also debuting The Wizarding World of Harry Potter this year. That could be a game changer in the Japanese market, too.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The best Universal can hope for with Diagon Alley is that it matches the Hollywood Studios in attendance numbers. And that's a long shot because going by the most recent unofficial attendance figures Universal would have to grow by almost 4 million Guests to match DHS which in 2012 had almost 10 million. If any park is going to take a hit it will be Islands of Adventure.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter wasn't a real game changer for Disney when it opened in Orlando. So why would it be any different now? Yes it will be a good attendance boost for Universal Japan. But it won't hurt the Tokyo Disney Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Duyanh92 View Post
    I think the big competitor to HKDL is SHDL, since most of visitors are from Mainland. In 2016 and 2017, SHDL will sure to become one the most visited park on earth, just like any other Flagship Disney Castle Park (HKDL is exceptional).
    The biggest competitors of HKDL would be Universal Studios Singapore and other upcoming Southeast Asian theme parks like 20th Century Fox World. China is a large market and the opening of SHDL won't affect the Hong Kong park much since most mainland Chinese visitors of HKDL are from the Pearl River Delta region.

You can also see that the introduction of Halal and Indian food is HKDL's strategy to attract Southeast Asian guests.
    Last edited by iluvHKDL; 03-06-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: quote missing

• former CM

51 acres is really small, and starting small has proven to be a bad strategy when a company's previous parks create large expectations.

Also, it had better be in an airtight bubble or series of domes because Beijing air is currently hazardous at times. I hope they clean it up!

And I hope this parks widens the bridge between China and the U.S.

It is a four-hour train high-speed train ride from Beijing to Shanghai. If one comes from more Northern parts of China it would make more sense to go to Beijing than Shanghai for a short vacation.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    This isn't as true as you would think. Universal Studios Japan only had 3 million less visitors than TDS and 5 million less than TDL, and USJ it is growing at a little bit of a quicker rate. In the US, USH is about 2 million visitors behind DCA, but DCA's number is rising at an extremely fast rate, and about 10 million behind DL. IOA is about 2 million behind DHS and DAK, 4 million behind EPCOT, and 10 million behind MK. USF is about 3 million behind DHS and DAK, 5 million behind EPCOT, and 11 million behind MK, but USF has Potter 2.0 arriving this summer, so its # should rise. The conclusion is, however, that USJ can compete with TDS, but not as much TDL, USH is behind DCA and DL, and IOA/USH can compete with DHS and DAK (until Pandora), but not EPCOT and MK.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    This isn't as true as you would think. Universal Studios Japan only had 3 million less visitors than TDS and 5 million less than TDL. . .
    And isn't Harry Potter set to open there in mid-July of 2014--in about 5 weeks?

Think THOSE lines will be long?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-08-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo