Interesting video,, Universal makes big bet on Harry Potter again | Daily Ticker

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...?.tsrc=applewf

i like what the analyst says at the end.

He mentions that Disney's decision to pass off the rights to Harry Potter because it did not fit into their formula was most likely the biggest mistake in 20 years.

now let's consider this, if Disney had gone ahead and bought the rights to do Harry potter do we think they would have created twolarge immersive lands like universal or just an attraction here and there dispersed through out their parks worldwide?

lets just say that Disney would have created two lands with multiple attractions. would the attractions have the thrill factor these have along with the new ride technology that universal used or would they have gone with the same technology they feel comfortable with and used omnimovers, flume rides or another Soarin clone?

lets also say that they would have built the exact Sam thing that fans got from universal. What two parks in WDW would you add it too.?

would Diagonal Alley work in Epcot? A New large Pavillion with England as the center point and then behind the Pavillion Diagon Alley.? Would hogs worth express run from there to Disney Hollywood studio creating a faster connection between both parks and boosting both of these gates attendance.

Or

Diagon Alley built in DHS replacing the tram tour and then have the train run from there to DAK where Hogsmeade would be built adding the mythical aspect of that park with all the weird creatures that appear in the movie.
    i think it could have worked and also finally gave DAK the perfect transportation connecting it to the rest of the three parks and at the same time boosting its attendance

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Interesting video,, Universal makes big bet on Harry Potter again | Daily Tic

One reason that it was for the best that Disney did not get HP: the merchandising.

The stores wouldve been consumed by generic HP merchandise as oppose to staying true to the themes and character of each store from the books. Just look at how the stores of Main Street and other lands in Disney parks digressed to generic-ism.

Re: Interesting video,, Universal makes big bet on Harry Potter again | Daily Tic

That is so true, i am sure that we would have seen Princess merchandise being sold next to wands. Especially in WDW which is worst then the other resorts and i'm sure they are the reason DIsneyland see so much generic merchandise that that only relates to WDW pop up occasionally in Anaheim.

The reason why the thousands of dollars i used to spend in merchandise at DIsney parks now goes to other things including universal

• Singing Drinker

HP had a few disincentives. I have no doubt that the biggest for Disney on a business level was the mentioned split ownership of the property. They've obviously gotten over that (Avatar, Marvel) but at the time I can see it weighing on them heavily.

I can imagine that Rowling's insistence on being final gatekeeper (and her ability to pull the plug on the franchise if she's not satisfied) would also be a big negative to Disney - Universal's managed to turn that into a plus, as I don't believe the property would be developed anywhere NEAR as impressively without her monitoring and input. Disney Imagineering though? Can you imagine? "Hey guys, here's Ms. Travers, ooops, Mrs. Rowling" and it all slides downhill from there.

*shrug*

This all is coming home to roost for Disney in a big way. They created the creative environment of several hungry young imagineering firms by gutting WDI and outsourcing everything. They passed on major franchises that there just happened to be a big company with a LOT of money just itching for the chance to jump in and make a splash with their recently purchased Parks division. The franchises they DID bet on (Narnia, Oz, Muppets, looking at you here) didn't perform as hoped and got dropped or scaled back from in park presence.

So now they're putting their eggs in a few different IP baskets and are playing catch up on the creative end. I really do hope it works - I'm LOVING the SoCal theme park market right now and the more work Disney has to do in their parks the more ComCast is going to have to respond with and vice versa.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That is so true, i am sure that we would have seen Princess merchandise being sold next to wands. Especially in WDW which is worst then the other resorts and i'm sure they are the reason DIsneyland see so much generic merchandise that that only relates to WDW pop up occasionally in Anaheim.

The reason why the thousands of dollars i used to spend in merchandise at DIsney parks now goes to other things including universal
    The one thing Universal Creative can't get past is Rowling. If she visits the park and sees something like that, if she doesn't agree then it WILL be removed. She has termination rights on the franchise property if they fail to uphold her standards. I'd love to see the legalese on it, but it's strong enough (and Universal wants to keep her happy enough) that I've read reports of several costly rebuilds until it was "just right".
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Universal will and has done way better than Disney ever would.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Disney and always will. However, we have to be real in the fact that Disney hasn't created any groundbreaking technology, or put a lot of groundbreaking technology into it's parks in quite a long time.

I think part of the reason is, because most of it's former Imagineers work with Universal now and are moving forward, where as Disney if they produce anything new sticks to the same sort of formula with creating rides. Also, in the time that Disney has created New Fantasyland and the Mine Train, Universal created two Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme parks, Transformers, and some other additions to their parks.

Also, as everyone else said: merchandising. Almost all of the things you can get at Disney World stores in the parks you can get at Downtown Disney, other Disney stores in other parts of the US, or online. You don't need to go into the parks to get these things. Also, in almost every shop there isn't really a theme, but the same merchandise over and over again. Where as almost every single thing in WWOHP was created for the park, are truly unique, and stay within the shops it belongs to. You actually feel as if you can be in a completely different world.

They knew they could have never won Rowling over. She takes her works very seriously, and that is kind of the opposite of Disney adaptations (I know its just theme park rights, but I think she views all her copyrights as the same given her history of lawsuits). I've seen it pointed out on other forums that the direct adaptation of her vision is why Hogsmeade gets so crowded; the paths and shops are too narrow.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

She's compromised on a few things. For example, the original wand shop resembles the film version and potentially her vision, but the new one at Diagon Alley is much more larger in comparison. Out of all the shops, that was the most worst when it came to crowding and traffic. Clearly they learned their lesson.