Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blog Entries

Just got back from my Universal trip

I have to say that I am very impressed with everything that is now at Universal. I hadn't visited since the early 90's when it was just Universal Studios and man has it changed. I was blown away by how good IOA is and the citywalk layout is much better than Downtown Disney. I'll be posting a trip report with pictures later, but I haven't had time to format the pictures. So I'll give much more detail there.

I just wanted to say that IOA is a beautiful park even though I found some nitpicky issues which I'll discuss later and the even though the Studios don't compare to the quality of IOA or anything at Disney I do believe that The Mummy ride is probably the greatest ride I've ever been on. I was completely blown away by how perfect this ride was. I couldn't find one thing to complain with on this. This ride was perfect, beautiful theming and effects, good thrills and tons of scares mixed with some welcome humor, and it's as much a psychological thrill ride as it is a physical one.

I give Universal Creative two thumbs up on this ride. Very well done.

• i ♥ Deidara

Re: Just got back from my Universal trip

did you do the tour?

[x] Deviant
    [x] Akatsuki youtube blog
    [x] My custom icons

Blog Entries

no, no tour. We stayed at Royal Pacific for two nights. Spent Monday in the parks, and started home Tuesday. So we pretty much just hussled through the main things we wanted to see at both parks before heading out. We'll definitely be back, what with having the 2 year annual pass to burn for the next two years.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Looking forward to the pics!

Thanks.

• Banned User

this is universal orlando you are talking about right?

• Banned User

Wink Re: Just got back from my Universal trip

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    this is universal Orlando you are talking about right?
    Mother, USH has no IOA

(Universal Hollywood does not have a Islands of Adventure... or on park resorts...)

Though the thread name should have USO in it somewhere to not confuse as many.. and yes.. I love it there I have an AP... (Road trip!)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    Mother, USH has no IOA

(Universal Hollywood does not have a Islands of Adventure... or on park resorts...)

Though the thread name should have USO in it somewhere to not confuse as many.. and yes.. I love it there I have an AP... (Road trip!)
    i know figment dear i was clarifying it for the readers

ps it's not nice to correct your mother

Blog Entries

Sorry, I always forget that there's a Universal in California. Yes, this is Universal Orlando.

• Banned User

I haven't stayed at the Royal Pacific yet. How was the room and services.

• Functional & Decorative

I've stayed at the Royal Pacific. I liked it quite a bit... enough to go again this upcoming December! Not a lot of food (quick) food options, that may be my only major complaint... but then again, Citywalk is nearby, so that's always an option.

did you do the tour?
    I think this may be why some were confused with Universal we were talking about. As far as I know, only USH has the big tram tour. Unless there was something I missed at USF, tram tour-wise?
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Blog Entries

there are some vip tours at Universal Orlando just like at Disney, but nothing that catches my eye enough to want to do.

The Royal Pacific was nice. The rooms were beautiful, the staff was friendly, and the food options were nice although as stated, most of it was sit down. The pools were beautiful as well. There were tons of little details all over the ground that I'm sure I didn't catch them all. Also the express pass benefit was wonderful. It was great walking right on Jaws and skipping right past the 30 minute ride, or skipping the 45 minute ride on Dudley and only waiting for 10 at the height of the heat.

I did have a few complaints however. 12 dollars a day to park is ridiculous, especially if you're an AP holder who can park for free at Universal normally. There should at least be some discount on parking for AP holders. And while the jacuzzis felt great after a long day in the parks, the fact that kids decide to use them as their own personal pool is annoying. We only stayed in for about 5 minutes because there was a group of kids jumping in and splashing around in the pool and swimming and snorkeling all over the pool. I wish they'd designate one jacuzzi as adults only and the other as the family one or something. There's nothing more annoying than that.

I'm glad you liked it. I haven't been in several years, but love USF far more than Hollywood. Jaws was one of my favorite rides there. Last time I went they still had King Kong and Men In Black hadn't opened yet. I got to IOA and while it didn't have as much as it does now, it was a fun park. My favorites there were the Hulk, Spiderman, Cat in the Hat and Poseidon's Fury.

I'd be interested in your feedback. We're going to WDW next summer, around June 9 for 8-10 days. One day we're planning on going to Universal. There will be 10 of us, including a 7 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old, so commando style will definitely be out. Do you think at that time we should even bother trying to do the highlights of two parks in one day? I'm leaning towards just doing IOA so we don't try to rush everything, since the kids won't be able to ride the Mummy and probably wouldn't enjoy having a large shark rushing the boat. I think the only things that would interest them at Universal would be E.T., Shrek and Jimmy Neutron. So I'm leaning towards just doing IOA (I also wouldn't get stuck seeing the Barney show if we don't go to Universal). What are your thoughts?

Blog Entries

I think if you paid for the express passes you could probably do it, but you'd be rushed and wouldn't get to just sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Islands. My biggest complaint with islands is that there just isn't enough for kids. Even some of the stuff in seuss landing is a little intense. The cat in the hat ride has a lot of spinning and while some kids like that, I know many who wouldn't. Almost everything else in the park has big drops that some kids won't like, scary, or a little on the intense side such as the coasters, spiderman, etc... I didn't get to see the sinbad show or poseidon's fury though so I'm not sure how they are.

If your kids can handle those things and you don't want to pop for the express pass in addition to their park hopper extra fee I'd do IOA. To me it is the only Universal park that really measures up to Disney and in some cases surpasses Disney. The theming is beautiful and there were areas that we just sat and looked around because the layout and audio were beautiful.

Just be careful because the little ones may not have enough to do. For the real little ones you'd probably be relegated to Seuss landing, popeye, the pteranadon flyers, and the shows. Everything else may be too intense for them. That park does have a lot better food, scenery to just sit and look at, and shade. The studios has very little shade, IOA has a lot of it which is nice.

By the way, I've started my trip report on the WDW board since it started there. I'll probably just leave the whole report there. You can find it here if you're interested in our pictures of the parks:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36235

• Shablagoo!

I agree with kcnole, Neon Cactus. IOA is a great park, but it is not the best for little kids. For Posideon you have to ask how the kids do with dark spaces and loud noises. I imagine a 2 or 3 year old might have some problems with it. The 7 year old would probably be fine, but you know the kid, not me. I wish IOA would add a dark ride over in Toon Lagoon, one that has water as a theme but does not get you wet. A real gentle non- scary ride.

Blog Entries

That would be a very welcome addition. There's so many good cartoons that they have rights to that they could easily make a cute dark ride, maybe a boat ride through animatronics. I'd really like to see something well done and cute like ET. I love that ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast