Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

What NBC Universal Property can help Universal Studios?

There's been a lot of Universal Studios talk lately, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to strike up some discussion.

What NBC Universal show or film would make a great Universal Studios attraction?

When i look at the roster that's at the park, it's just so incredibly varied, with attractions and shows from OTHER studios. Seems odd for something like that since studios are so competitive.

Here's a look at Universal Studios Hollywood's attractions:

-Studio Tour -- includes visit to Jaws, King Kong, Fast & the Furious, Mummy, Earthquake, War of the Worlds (paramount), Desperate Housewives (disney), others.
    -Revenge of the Mummy Ride
    -Shrek 4D (dreamworks)
    -Jurassic Park River Adventure
    -Fear Factor Live
    -Terminator 2 3D (studio canal)
    -Water World
    -Nickelodeon Blast Zone (paramount)
    -Back to the Future ride
    -Special Effects Stages
    -Universal's Animal Actors
    -Backdraft

Universal Studios Japan
    -Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride (marvel)
    -Terminator 2:3D (studio canal)
    -Hollywood Dream: The Ride
    -Shrek 4D (dreamworks)
    -Sesame Street 4D Movie Magic (sesame workshop)
    -Universal Monsters Rock and Roll show
    -Animation Celebration w/ Woody Woodpecker
    -E.T. Adventure
    -Back to the Future Ride
    -Backdraft
    -Jurassic Park ride
    -Snoopy's Sound Stage Adventure (united feature syndicate)
    -Snoopy's Playland (united feature syndicate)
    -Water World
    -Jaws
    -Peter Pan's Neverland show
    -Wicked musical
    -Toto & Friends animal show (mgm)
    -Hello Kitty show (sanrio)

ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE - ORLANDO
    -Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (marvel)
    -Hulk Coaster (marvel ... the movie is Universal at least)
    -Dr. Doom's Fearfall (marvel)
    -Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls (not universal)
    -Popey & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges (not universal)
    -Jurassic Park
    -Dueling Dragons coaster
    -Eighth Voyage of Sinbad
    -Poseidon's Fury
    -Everything in Seuss Landing (seuss)

Anyway you all get the point. And now Simpsons is going to join in on the Universal experience... though it's very 20th Century Fox.

So are there any Universal films that you all can think of that would make for a great attraction?

I'm thinking that they could do something with Battlestar Galactica, since that's a huge hit for them. But I'm having trouble thinking of anything else. All the obvious universal hits are done (jurassic park, e.t., back to the future, jaws, mummy)... anything else?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• This space for rent

Re: What NBC Universal Property can help Universal Studios?

There had been a rumor about a show based on SNL possibly for the empty theater/soundstage at USF, that used to host originally a behind the scenes look of what it took to pull off and episode of Murder She Wrote, and then later Herc/Xena. Both of those shows were alot of fun mostly due to the actors that played the various sound/sfx/comptuer "experts" who lead the show and also it was fun due to audience participation.

To me it wouldn't be hard at all for them to come up with a similar show to the earlier ones, that shows what goes on behind the scenes of making and episode of SNL, and pulling it off at USF. Unfortunately Universal is quite cheap and love to get rid of as many live-actor/character jobs in the park so I can't see them adding more live actors when they've gotten rid of a lot of them over the years.

Also that iVillage talk show show is moving out of IoA soon, so I'd love to see them bulldoze that stadium and extend Marvel Superhero Island over there for another ride or 2 in that area, and base it/them off the comics like the rest of that area, and not any of the live action movies.

Also there's the rumors about Harry Potter(WB) at Ioa, which sound alot better so far than the Simpsons cheap retro fit at USF and USH. I was really hoping that they were going to do a ride based on the Transformers(Dreamworks SKG).

Universal/NBC has a serious problem on it's hands concerning the parks in that almost all movies(and most tv shows) come and go so fast nowadays. They don't have alot of timeless movies like Disney does with it's animated library. Universal is always scared to commit to an attraction early, then once they finally do commit, it already seems like yesterday's news once it's open. Plus as you've already shown, they don't have much of their own stuff that's current to base an attraction off of without it looking dated as well by the time they get it planned, then built, then opened. They have to go out and buy/or lease the rights to other successful properties, which in the end can take away from the quality of the attraction itself it just seems like an endless downward spiral anymore concerning Universal for me.

I don't see anyway Universal can overcome this in the long run without permanently partnering/ and totally alligning themselves up with something like WB or Sony to get more franchises/properties at their dispossal, plus they have to be willing to actually spend some decent amounts of money on the parks if they want to stay competitive, no more of this nickel and dime crap that's been going on the last few years.

It would be cool to see them pay tribute to the Universal Classic Monsters as has been said on MC before with some sort of attraction, the only problem would be most(not all) of the park's guests would be out of touch with them.

• Banned User

where is ivallage live moving to?

• This space for rent

According to Screamscape (via the Orlando Sentinel,) it's going to Chicago, so it can have edgier/more adult topics that wouldn't be appropriate to discuss at IoA.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/isla..._adventure.htm

The Land Before Time Dark ride would be nice and how about a Heroes attraction? hmmm.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Baghira View Post
    Universal/NBC has a serious problem on it's hands concerning the parks in that almost all movies(and most tv shows) come and go so fast nowadays. They don't have alot of timeless movies like Disney does with it's animated library. Universal is always scared to commit to an attraction early, then once they finally do commit, it already seems like yesterday's news once it's open. Plus as you've already shown, they don't have much of their own stuff that's current to base an attraction off of without it looking dated as well by the time they get it planned, then built, then opened. They have to go out and buy/or lease the rights to other successful properties, which in the end can take away from the quality of the attraction itself it just seems like an endless downward spiral anymore concerning Universal for me.

I don't see anyway Universal can overcome this in the long run without permanently partnering/ and totally alligning themselves up with something like WB or Sony to get more franchises/properties at their dispossal, plus they have to be willing to actually spend some decent amounts of money on the parks if they want to stay competitive, no more of this nickel and dime crap that's been going on the last few years.

You're right. Look at Simpsons... it's an attraction that's here 18 years after the start. But at the same time, an attraction based on that series now would probably be of better quality than if it was made back in the day. But how many more years does Simpsons have? I know the talent involved aren't in a rush to end the show... they're making BANK! And I suppose if it's still profitable, they will keep making new shows.

If any cartoon series was to be made into an attraction, it should be FUTURAMA. I mean... an entire land of the future would be so rad. (oh wait... that's supposed to be tomorrowland).

And the reason Universal Hollywood takes so long to commit to anything is because of space. It's a real operating studio built on the bottom of a hill. The theme park is then expanded upon the top of the hill and connected at the bottom. But because it's a real operating studio, they really can't afford to lose anymore soundstages to the theme park. So anything that comes into the park needs to be the most appropriate.

The park in Florida is a much better fit since it's sprawled out and they can focus on actual attractions. Islands of Adventure though... the only thing Universal about it is Jurassic Park.

As for other ideas, Apollo 13 is Universal... you'd think they would have maybe done something with that. But I suppose Disney has attempted that scenario all too many times.

• This space for rent

As for other ideas, Apollo 13 is Universal... you'd think they would have maybe done something with that. But I suppose Disney has attempted that scenario all too many times.
    I remember for a while before RotM was announced there were rumors of an Apollo 13 indoor rollercoaster floating around, and everybody automatically compared it to Space Mountain.

• Time Travel Volunteer

I agree about a 'Battlestar'-themed attraction. In my opinion, that would've been a much cooler replacement for BTTF, and pretty easy to replace the DeLoreans with Raptors. But I keep hearing rumors that season 4 will be their last, so who knows how smart that is to do... But then again, Matt Groening also said that if he ever did a 'Simpsons' movie, he'd stop doing the show.

As Forrest Gump would say, that's all I have to say about that.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

How about, Without a Paddle the ride? even though it's not universal.... you get stranded on a river and lose control going through all kinds of rapids and waterfalls.

I know they have JP but they could use another water ride.

• ...TWO BITS!

The Bourne Triology movies

Them (re-remake 2009)

Incredible Shrinking Man (2008)

Flash Gordon (2008)

Serenity (2005)-(they had a big event for it in the park and a Q&A at the Fear Factor LIvE stage)

Heroes (that would be interesting. A SFX of guests performing unbelieveable feats like the old USH shows...)

Land Before Time could be interesting. I want to see a video of the old show. They already have like 10 squels, right?

Universal's House of Horrors kind of tributes the movie monsters...

E.T. needs some sort of presence in USH. All I see is merchandise for the character. That's about it. (Was thinking once they relocate the Tour's spinning tunnel, they could theme it to Stargate (not Universal) and it transports you to a show building to E.T.'s Green Planet similar to the end of the ride.)

(Not my personal favorites: Thunderbirds & Riddick)

Not Universal:

Transformers (to replace the Fast & Furious cars on a stick)

In addition to the Marylin Monroe atmosphere, add Lucy & Ricky and GREASE to help represent the mid 1900s era around Mel's Diner.

Maybe team up Blues Brothers, MIB, and Ghostbusters in a new show and rethemed stage that's currently used just for Blues Brothers... sounds like a funny match up, but look at Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue and Spider-Man Rockin' Musical...

Wonder if Tomb Raider had any consideration.

And why Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek Experience? Why couldn't it have been USH?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Tomb Raider has a presence in the now former Paramount Parks

There is a Lucy walk around character at USH

Why Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek Experience? LICENSING!

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Well I thought it was kind of weird that Universal had the Star Trek Experience which kind of is like Disney's Star Tours. And now, nothing.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    ^ Well I thought it was kind of weird that Universal had the Star Trek Experience which kind of is like Disney's Star Tours. And now, nothing.
    Wait... Universal had a Star Trek attraction?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Wait... Universal had a Star Trek attraction?
    well, paramount was going to partner with universal but backed out.. the most they had in Orlando was using it with the green screen home video shop thing....

wish they still had north american rights to doctor who...

i can so imagine something wicked from that

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Universal Hollywood had a Star Trek show (with great audience participation) for several years in the spot that now holds Shrek 4D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIpmJO9GN4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast