Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    • is poppin' tags
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,742

    Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    I have only seen/heard of Vinylmation on MC and on the Disney shopping pages. I am VERY familiar with KidRobot Dunny series (we sell 'em where I work),but have never really gotten into them (I do own a few). However, from Goover's sweet photos, I have been inspired and want to get one or two of the Disney versions! I was just curious as to the possible re-sellability of Vinylmation versus Dunnys. I guess my main concern is that I will be purchasing just a piece of vinyl and not a tiny investment. I know how the blind-box toy values are subjective to the market, but I am really wondering about the Vinylmation market, I guess.


    To be blunt - are a BUNCH of people buying these? How many pieces are being produced? Where do I get them?
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/





  2. #2

    • I eat TR's for breakfast!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,767

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    If you are considering them solely for the sake of investing in a collectable, I would highly reconsider.

    Vinylmation is not just something you buy and stick on a shelf. They are their own, individual identities of Mickey Mouse and your friends!

    They may be worth a fortune in 100 years, they may not.

    All I'm saying is that you shouldn't focus so much on the value, but rather the enjoyment you'll get from having them.

    12 of my 15 Vinylmations live on my window pane loving life, not simply collecting value!

    They are like babies.

    You don't know what you're going to get, and when you get it, you shouldn't always think "is he/she going to be a successful so-and-so in the future?" You should rather place importance on the experience in the now.

    In other words >> if you are going to buy these things in hope that they will some day become very valuable, you are buying them for the wrong reasons.

    PS: Thanks for mentioning me in your post. !!!!

  3. #3

    • is poppin' tags
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Maybe I did not explain myself correctly.

    I am still going to get one (or 2 or 3), but I am curious about how many are being made and purchased. I think they are cute and I will probably only buy them to take fun pictures (like you!).

    As far as calling them my 'babies'......that probably won't happen since I already have a 5 year old.

    I will not be buying them for only investment reasons....I was just curious about the ways they might trump Dunnys. I thought , perhaps I was missing something?

    And, do I only get them in the parks/online?


    And, Thank you, Goover, for answering with speed!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/





  4. #4

    • I eat TR's for breakfast!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,767

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Yes. They are not sold at any other stores (even the Disney store) besides those at the parks and online.

    There are currently 4 series being sold right now.

    1) Urban Series 2

    2) Park Series 2

    3) Holiday Series 1

    4) Clear Series 1

    Next series: Cuties (pretty much for girls)

    A great source: vinylmation.net

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, Cali
    Posts
    539

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Quote Originally Posted by leopardchucks View Post
    Maybe I did not explain myself correctly.

    I am still going to get one (or 2 or 3), but I am curious about how many are being made and purchased. I think they are cute and I will probably only buy them to take fun pictures (like you!).

    As far as calling them my 'babies'......that probably won't happen since I already have a 5 year old.

    I will not be buying them for only investment reasons....I was just curious about the ways they might trump Dunnys. I thought , perhaps I was missing something?

    And, do I only get them in the parks/online?


    And, Thank you, Goover, for answering with speed!
    Pretty much Vinylmation has only been out for almost a year in December. The people who are in charge of it are sorta trying to figure out the sweet spot of how many to produce but not enough to possibly have them sit on the shelves and not sell. So production numbers arent set in stone nor are they being released to the public. Pretty much people are buying them but its uncertain yet how many of those people right now are smply buying to make a quick buck while the rest collect for enjoyment.

    Although realistically any collectible's money value depends on how the market is, its safe to bet that overall the Park 1 and Urban 1 (Although park 1 trumps the urban series to some collectors) series are going to maintain their values and even if the values go down a bit I believe that they're value will be higher then any other series released. The reason for that is because not may were produced because they weren't sure if Vinylmation would take or not. Ofcourse they sold out quickly and thus are the harder series' to try and complete because once the whole series production is sold out then they're gone for good.

    The main ones in a regular set that would have a higher value then the rest of a particular set would be the chaser. There's only one chaser figure in a case of 24 vinyls.

    So pretty much:

    Set with highest value: Park 1 set of 12 (Sold out)
    Chaser with highest value: Park 1 Balloon chaser (sold out)
    Regular Vinyl figure with most value: Any chaser from a series that is currently being sold at the parks and is not sold out yet.

  6. #6

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Now a WDW Local!
    Posts
    20,520
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    What are Dunnys?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  7. #7

    • is poppin' tags
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Dunnys are vinyl toys that are blind boxed with chasers. They are put out by Kid Robot and are all decorated by popular grafitti/graphic artists. Some are really rare (1/96) and some not so much (2/24). They have been making them for about 5 or 6 years now, I think. They are pretty big with the 16-24 set.

    Since I already know how their system works, I was curious about Vinylmation. I love Disney waaaaay more than grafitti (ha!), so I just wanted to get the scoop on the Disney version of collectible vinyl figures.

    Just curious...is each one designed by a different Imagineer or special artist like Shag? That could be cool.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/





  8. #8

    • sleepy lagoon
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    a tiny cottage in the forest
    Posts
    17,695

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    We just started buying the small Vinylmations... At first I thought they were weird, like it was some blasphemous Mickey or something!!
    But, the kiddies liked them and after reading so much about them on MC (yes, that's you Goover!! ) I decided that we would get one each time we went to the park. So far we have 5 (with 2 kids still anxiously awaiting their first one!!) They do come with a little card that tells you the artist who designed it. It is fun and so cute to see my 4 year old picking up all the boxes and weighing them in his hand to see if he can tell which one is in what box. (He really wants the Yeti Monster from the Park 1? but it is sold out and $50 on ebay...)


  9. #9

    • is poppin' tags
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    ^^^ I have seriosly had people come into my store with tiny postal scales, trying to weigh the boxes!!! lol! But if you get a rare one, it can be worth big bucks!

    M7D--- Can you tell me some of the artists that designed the Vinylmations you have? Pretty please?
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/





  10. #10

    • sleepy lagoon
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    a tiny cottage in the forest
    Posts
    17,695

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Quote Originally Posted by leopardchucks View Post
    ^^^ I have seriosly had people come into my store with tiny postal scales, trying to weigh the boxes!!! lol! But if you get a rare one, it can be worth big bucks!

    M7D--- Can you tell me some of the artists that designed the Vinylmations you have? Pretty please?
    Let's see... we have vinylmations designed by: Dawn Ockstadt,Quyhn Kimball, Rachael Sur, andMaria Clapsis.


  11. #11

    •   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Planet Selectro, in the Andromeda galaxy
    Posts
    2,039

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Collect them because you enjoy them, not as an investment. Remember what happened to Beanie Babies after that fad burned out? Right now Vinylmation is at its peak of popularity, and you can get a premium for the rare. But once the fad is over, and collectors move on to the next hot item, many Vinylmation collections will be sold off for whatever their owners can get. You will be able to find the Park Series for a dime a dozen. If you are looking to collect as an investment, try original Disney animation cells or the pieces by Olszewski.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, Cali
    Posts
    539

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Collect them because you enjoy them, not as an investment. Remember what happened to Beanie Babies after that fad burned out? Right now Vinylmation is at its peak of popularity, and you can get a premium for the rare. But once the fad is over, and collectors move on to the next hot item, many Vinylmation collections will be sold off for whatever their owners can get. You will be able to find the Park Series for a dime a dozen. If you are looking to collect as an investment, try original Disney animation cells or the pieces by Olszewski.
    I kinda have to disagree. Although some of the fire might fizzle out on these things over time the simple fact that its a Disney collectible means that it wont just go the way Beanie Babies went. However if Disney floods the markets with these then it could/will hurt them a bit but they will still be sought after.

    I find it funny that you think that Vinylmation is at its peak when the Vinylmation brand is barely a year old. I think it hasnt reached its peak yet, not by a long shot. But I do agree with buying them to enjoy them and not for the sole purpose of making a quick buck.

  13. #13

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    i don't collect vinylmation but from what i can tell, these will not raise in value expect the chasers,

    if you are loking for high resell value, buy limited edition wdcc figures, or LE pins. possibly jim shore stuff as well

  14. #14

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Now a WDW Local!
    Posts
    20,520
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    i can't wait until they start selling for a dime a dozen
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  15. #15

    • Future Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    6,930

    Re: Vinylmation a better bet than Dunny?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    If you are considering them solely for the sake of investing in a collectable, I would highly reconsider.

    Vinylmation is not just something you buy and stick on a shelf. They are their own, individual identities of Mickey Mouse and your friends!

    They may be worth a fortune in 100 years, they may not.

    All I'm saying is that you shouldn't focus so much on the value, but rather the enjoyment you'll get from having them.

    12 of my 15 Vinylmations live on my window pane loving life, not simply collecting value!

    They are like babies.

    You don't know what you're going to get, and when you get it, you shouldn't always think "is he/she going to be a successful so-and-so in the future?" You should rather place importance on the experience in the now.

    In other words >> if you are going to buy these things in hope that they will some day become very valuable, you are buying them for the wrong reasons.

    PS: Thanks for mentioning me in your post. !!!!
    Well put. =) Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of them this way. I keep mine out so I can see them every day, and every day I look at them, sometimes move my collection around a little, etc.


    And I personally don't like Dunnies. I think it's the Disney factor(The Mickey shape, and the designs) that really make me love them.

    -♥d.p♥

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vinylmation
    By Speedway in forum Vinylmation
    Replies: 199
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM
  2. Vinylmation
    By Vinylmation Fan in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 11:51 AM
  3. [Fun] Vinylmation
    By Speedway in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •