Here are a couple of examples or just disney vinylmation - Google Search

Name:  400156118077[1].jpg
Views: 145
Size:  28.3 KBName:  Disney-Vinylmation-Muppets-01[1].jpg
Views: 145
Size:  92.1 KBName:  park6_box[1].jpg
Views: 147
Size:  19.1 KB
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• The Pumpkin King

Re: please explain

Ugly imo.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Vinylmation appeals to Disney fans who want a souvenir that's a little edgy. It's sort of like the Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise where you can show that you're a Disney fan without wearing mouse ears or a touristy T-shirt. The fact that people don't like them or just don't "get" it is part of the appeal. It's a souvenir that isn't obvious and requires some explanation for The Uncool to understand.

I've bought 5 souvenirs in my 30 or so years of going to Disneyland: 3 wooden guns from the POTC shop when I was a kid, a baseball cap at Grad Night and a Vinylmation Mickey. If I could just buy my choice of Vinylmation figure I'd probably have bought more of them, but the luck-of-the-draw packaging is a detraction for me.
    Last edited by bee1000; 08-18-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: bold, baby

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    \ I'd probably have bought more of them, but the luck-of-the-draw packaging is a detraction for me.
    That's the appealing point that some people get with the whole blind box thing. You don't know which vinyl figure you're gonna get from that particular set or collection. So when you're opening the package you get that feeling of excitement.

If you get the figure you want, awesome. If there's another one in a collection you want then you buy another one to try your luck. It's the same if you get one you don't like. You buy another one. It's the exciting/addictive way blind box figures work.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Quote Originally Posted by mavmaestre View Post
    That's the appealing point that some people get with the whole blind box thing. You don't know which vinyl figure you're gonna get from that particular set or collection. So when you're opening the package you get that feeling of excitement.

If you get the figure you want, awesome. If there's another one in a collection you want then you buy another one to try your luck. It's the same if you get one you don't like. You buy another one. It's the exciting/addictive way blind box figures work.
    This, I think, is the key. It's a challenge to the buyer the same way that baseball cards used to be. You never know which one you're going to get, and that encourages a social aspect in trading and collecting. Pin trading has the social aspect, but there's no randomness or challenge in the collecting part.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Oh, I knew the concept of the random figures from Japanese vinyl figures before, but I'd just rather be able to choose one souvenir rather than become a crazed collector!

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    Oh, I knew the concept of the random figures from Japanese vinyl figures before, but I'd just rather be able to choose one souvenir rather than become a crazed collector!
    That's what ebay is for. Hahaha.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    This, I think, is the key. It's a challenge to the buyer the same way that baseball cards used to be. You never know which one you're going to get, and that encourages a social aspect in trading and collecting. Pin trading has the social aspect, but there's no randomness or challenge in the collecting part.
    Or Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, buying more packs to get the rare cards and holographics.

• -

I'm hoping sales will die off soon and that these things will go the same way as the beanie baby, and Garbage Pail Kids.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

ORDDU: I'm not particularly attracted to these vinylmation items, either. Now, if they were in the shape a DIFFERENT character--like, say, Tarzan--you'd have my attention and I'd buy at least one.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Vinylmation's grow you! There are some pretty darn cute ones and then there are some hideous ones. I like the little keychains and magnets (had to buy some for our Disney cruise!!). I don't have any, but my mom started collecting the Holiday series and they make wonderful gifts to give along with something
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

While I like some Vinylmations, I don't care for most of them. So when you factor in cost and the blind box packaging, that's enough to keep me on the sidelines in this hobby. To me the major difference between pins and vinylmations is the blind box packaging. If they were to release the Star Wars Vinylmations in viewable packaging, I would certainly get some.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't care how cute or ugly they are. I have no clue why people are into this stuff in the first place. Instead of buying a Mickey vinylmation or a pin wouldn't it be nice of someone can take that money and give it to someone who is poor or hungry? Or maybe help someone buy a ticket who normally can't afford Disneyland but who would love to go.

Just sayin'
    You know this ISNt the place for that, BUT sicne you brought it up, how much of your weekly/biweekly/monthly check GOES to the homeless? Or do you sit behind the keyboard and preach?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

LOL DIP!!!! I don't understand why people buy, says, CARS or different repaints of the same exact one but hey - to each his or her own.

I like Vinylmations, but I agree, some are uuuuugggggllllyyyyy. I only collect the ones I like and trade the ones I don't. I think they will be around awhile but - the issue is they release many types at once and release them often. They also have raised the prices. And some of the bigger ones are INSANELY priced, like $75? For plastic...
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I'm from Canada eh!

I just wish that the Star Wars ones didn't sell out so fast...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast