Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who Should Disney Buy Next?

Bob Iger mentioned in the company’s conference call a few weeks ago, that he was still interested in buying companies who can offer Disney new characters and stories. Some would complain that Disney has too many characters than they need. However I believe that there are companies out there that would prove successful with Disney behind them. Here are a shortlist of who I think fit into the Disney jelly mould and would be wise acquisitions:

Rovio Mobile

Makers of the popular Angry Birds game, this app developer has expressed wishes to become “Disney 2.0”. Some people will say that the original game has no narrative, however with internet shorts and a movie supposedly in the works, I feel that this is a great company for Disney to seriously think about. Merchandise is flying off the shelves, and the brand reaches out to businessmen, teens, families and children.

Electronic Arts

Okay so Disney has been closing down their own video game companies, but EA has much more to offer than that. They are one of the biggest mobile and social game companies around using their unique IP and turning it into app games - much akin to Disney’s new strategy. The two companies produce synergy with EA Sports and ESPN, Playdom and PlayFish, as well as several other properties. I feel that the two companies are perfectly suited and give Disney a much stronger footing in the video game market.

LucasFilm

This is a bit of an awkward one. Right now, I am content with George Lucas owning the property but I feel that when the day comes and he passes away, Disney should purchase his company. Both parties would be satisfied, and I’m sure George would rest peacefully knowing his beloved franchises are in the right hands.

Nintendo

This is a curveball. Everyone associates the company with hardware but Nintendo is the best company that offers family gaming. Pokemon is currently airing on Disney XD but little of Nintendo’s popular characters have left the world of games and entered other mediums. Disney on the other hand can create movies, TV shows and merchandise based on these beloved franchises not to mention theme park attractions. The hardware is a problem and in my view doesn’t fit into Disney’s corporate strategy but the characters and stories are VERY Disney-esque. Heck if Disney has one of their franchises - Pokemon - on their network years after it launched, then the properties must be good.

So what do you think? Any other suggestions? Or does Disney own all the characters that they need?
    Last edited by antem; 09-07-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Re: Who Should Disney Buy Next?

EA Games would also be able to produce all Disney games internally. These could range from Cars, to Marvel property to up and coming movie tie-ins. Disney's primary interest in the other companies would be solely character and story based. EA is more to boost Interactive Media Group and keep all movie tie-ins internally rather than outsourcing.

• I also like Stitch!

Maybe there will be a giant mindf**k for comic book fans and Disney will buy DC, combine Marvel and DC into one world and keep all the characters but add Disney characters in there.

Whilst I would love Batman and Superman under the Disney banner, I don't think Time Warner would sell them to Disney. Thats not even going into the FTC who probably wouldn't allow this

• Disneyland's the best!

I agree with all BUT Nintendo. Nintendo is a competitor, and the US government seems to have a problem with competitors combining. (Don't know why) Plus, Nintendo doesn't quite, well, fit the Disney brand. Heck, Marvel didn't either.

EDIT: Okay, I DO know why. But the situation with the mobile industry that they are going through is ridiculous.
    Last edited by RatherBeAtDLand; 09-14-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Said somethin' stupid.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

I believe that Nintendo in it's current form isn't the best fit for Disney. First and foremost is that Disney is a content provider and not a hardware manufacturer. If Disney did buy Nintendo then Marvel games etc would probably be exclusive to the Nintendo platform. So why did I pick it? Nintendo has received a lot of negativity towards their 3DS and (I feel it's too early to judge) Wii U. With mobile markets becoming more dominant their could be a point where Nintendo games and hardware are priced out of the market. To try and keep the shareholders happy Nintendo may eventually shutter their hardware devision similar to Sega. Whilst I don't see the Nintendo execs wanting this, shareholders opinion may differ. At that point (should it happen) Disney could come in with an offer to buy Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong and the rest of the Nintendo franchises. The potential is huge and in many circles Mario is more famous than the big cheese himself.

The US Government doesn’t allow any one company to monopolize the market. Case in point Disney cannot buy the movie and character section of Time Warner (ie Warner Bros and Hanna Barbara) However, Nintendo is a whole different ball game. Currently the two companies don’t overlap so Disney cannot monopolize any particular genre. That should allow the purchase to take place. Recently AT&T were not allowed to buy T-Mobile because that would offer the former company too much of a share on the communication market. But both companies offer the same thing so surely that worked against AT&T. Disney and Nintendo are different. Currently they both aren’t competitors as Disney have barely any video games and likewise Nintendo has very few movies and TV shows for their franchises.

In light of yesterday's news it looks like Disney is continuing to embrace outside franchises. With AVATAR now coming to DAK and other DL's later, we're really starting to see Iger's vision. He's putting more emphasis on non-Disney franchises to bulk up the parks and merchandise. Disney is basically enjoying the revenue from already established and loved franchises.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
    I agree with all BUT Nintendo. Nintendo is a competitor, and the US government seems to have a problem with competitors combining. (Don't know why) Plus, Nintendo doesn't quite, well, fit the Disney brand. Heck, Marvel didn't either.
    What are you talking about? Nintendo IS Disney in video game company form. Not to mention the two go back to Walt's day when Nintendo got the Disney license for playing cards in Japan in the 1960s, or the two Mickey Game and Watches in the 80s. Not to mention Miyamoto himself is basically considered the gaming medium's Walt.

Also, Mario and Mickey Mouse are basically the same person. Red wardrobe, white gloves, high voice, most recognizable characters in their respective mediums, and to top it all off, both were created as a result of copyright disputes. Mario came to be because Nintendo lost the license to make a Popeye arcade game and ended up reworking it as Donkey Kong. Popeye became Mario, Bluto became DK and Olive Oyl became Pauline.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Senior Minion

Who should Disney buy next?

Swift & Company Meats.

Hey, they gotta do something about the sucky hamburgers at Disneyland.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post

EDIT: Okay, I DO know why. But the situation with the mobile industry that they are going through is ridiculous.
    Mario and the gang are very family friendly and even have the Disney look (big eyes and very animated and colorful) IF one day a Nintendoland was added to a third park in CA...I think it would fit in just nicely........along with other cool characters like Link and Samus you can't go wrong

I added Nintendo because they are essentially the gaming version of Disney. There's so many similarities from Mickey=Mario to Disney=Miyamoto. Right now their paths differ as DIS is a content company and Ninty a hardware provider. But one day they're paths could merge.....

• Musical Fireman

I would die laughing if Disney bought something like Sailor Moon.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Metro-Retro Historian

I think a Disney/Nintendo thing could be very cool. Beyond getting Nintendo's character roster and Disney getting a real in house game developer, Nintendo is the most innovative video game company in the world. They are always exploring new ways to enhance how we interact with our games. Having some of the Nintendo R&D folks working in Disney's NextGen theme park projects could produce some really exciting results.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

As mentioned before Disney can't buy out everything. As mentioned if DC comics were bought that would make headlines. I would like if Disney would partner with Nintendo(not buy, but partner/license). Nintendo should remain as a gaming company, but it would be very great idea if Disney could produce (with Nintendo) an animated mario film. Yes, I am aware of Mario having a tv series, several Japanese films, and poorly recieved live action film. I think using the plot like the paper mario series(which do have very detailed storylines unlike regular games) would be a good idea. I would prefer would not be an origin story. Legend of Zelda would a great film as well, and I am aware they had shorts.

---------- Post added 11-07-2011 at 09:26 PM ----------

I don't know if Disney would buy EA, but I think Disney will have issues if they attempt buy anthing George Lucas related. Industrial Light and Magic would not be sold because other companies work with them such as Warner bros/Time warner. Paramount,20th centuary Fox, and time warner would go crazy and prevent Lucasfilms from being sold. If Disney try to buy George Lucas's companies, I think would result in the company being split like the muppets/sesame street.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    As mentioned before Disney can't buy out everything. As mentioned if DC comics were bought that would make headlines.
    DC is already owned by Warner Brothers.
    Nintendo should remain as a gaming company, but it would be very great idea if Disney could produce (with Nintendo) an animated mario film. Yes, I am aware of Mario having a tv series, several Japanese films, and poorly recieved live action film. I think using the plot like the paper mario series(which do have very detailed storylines unlike regular games) would be a good idea. I would prefer would not be an origin story. Legend of Zelda would a great film as well, and I am aware they had shorts.

I'd rather see new stories in the sandbox of those existing worlds. Would easily avoid the issues of trying to adapt a specific game story into a film. Zelda in particular would work fine that way: It's own story in the broad overall timeline probably picking elements from other games just like we actually see within the series at times. Also, art style inspired by Sleeping Beauty because an Ervind Earle inspired Hyrule would look pretty cool.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast