Question of ownership

I got to thinking today about the children and a grandchildren of Walt. Does anyone know if any of the family living today currently own any part of the Disney company?? I hope I don't seem too nosy but I am curious. Thank you.

• Refugee from a island

Re: Question of ownership

I know that when Roy E. passed away, his Shamrock Holdings held about 1.6 million shares, so that would have passed to his children. It is a large enough block of shares that selling it off would require SEC filings and make some news. I have seen anything in the press, so I would have to say they are still holding some if not most of it.

I don't know if any shares are held in the trust for Sharon Disney's children, but, I do know that there have been some issues with the trustee of late. As for Diane, Ron, and their kids... They are pretty private family, so I don't think they'd say, even if asked.

So yes, there is some stock ownership still within the Disney family, but how much and where, I'm not sure.

Hope this is helpful.

Yes, thanks so much. Would that be Roy, the brother or nephew?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    I know that when Roy E. passed away, his Shamrock Holdings held about 1.6 million shares, so that would have passed to his children. It is a large enough block of shares that selling it off would require SEC filings and make some news. I have seen anything in the press, so I would have to say they are still holding some if not most of it.

I don't know if any shares are held in the trust for Sharon Disney's children, but, I do know that there have been some issues with the trustee of late. As for Diane, Ron, and their kids... They are pretty private family, so I don't think they'd say, even if asked.

So yes, there is some stock ownership still within the Disney family, but how much and where, I'm not sure.

Hope this is helpful.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The nephew (Roy O. = brother, Roy E. = nephew, Roy P. = grandnephew). And those shares, while worth a lot, are a very small percentage of the company. So while they likely have some shares, they now amount to very little of the whole pie.

• Refugee from a island

Thanks lazyboy. Yes, any Disney family stock interest is in the minority category. The last largest minority interest holder that I now of was Steve Jobs, as most of his gain for the sale of Pixar to Disney was in stock. The majority of Disney stock is held by institutional investors and mutual funds. If you are interested in seeing a breakdown, check here.

• DLR Cast Member

There are about a dozen or so employees with the last name (or maiden name) of "Disney" scattered throughout the Resort, Burbank, and Glendale. I've spoken to a few of them in my routine interactions. Yes, they're all related to Walt or Roy. Of those that I've met, they're normal friendly Cast Members or Employees, just like anyone else. They neither expect nor receive special treatment, nor are they treated with any particular adversity. Aside from the "so how are you related" question, they're just like everyone else I've ever met. They prefer to enjoy their careers of choice in anonymity, and more power to them. For that reason (and because it's against policy for CM's to discuss specifics about other CM's), I won't list any specific persons, positions, or locations. But I CAN tell you they're at all different levels and professions, just like everyone else.

• Banned User

I do know that Walt's daughter, Diane Disney Miller, is quit active in the Disney company!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDork101 View Post
    I do know that Walt's daughter, Diane Disney Miller, is quit active in the Disney company!
    Her efforts are pretty focused on her Walt Disney Family Foundation and their Walt Disney Family Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Her efforts are pretty focused on her Walt Disney Family Foundation and their Walt Disney Family Museum.
    Which they try to keep as separated from the Disney company as possible!
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Didn't the family of Walt Disney sell a big part of their shares when Roy E. Disney changed the management back in the 80ies and brought Michael Eisner and Frank Wells into the company? I think I read that in the book "DisneyWar" by James B. Stewart.