It's both a blessing and a curse.. that as a company, Disney's most motivated investors are interested only in the Parks. Constrast that with how much time and effort Disney puts into all its financial reporting about the Media division.. at the shareholder meeting all anyone wants to talk about are the parks.. and on top of that.. bring up tiny singular issues instead of actually make comments about how the company is run or it's intentions.
Listening to the questions in the replay.. out of 21 questions.. 12 of them were about the parks and probably only about 4-5 that even should have been asked in a forum like that.
Instead we get people complaining that APs don't have even cheaper parking perks (seriously??), not enough discounts, someone asking when the Kingdom Hearts release date would be (this one had to be heard to be put in context..), and questions like 'any plans to update TL'.
These are not questions about how the company is being lead and where it's going!
Now there were some good questions mixed in..
- A gentleman asked for clarification on the Vet program Disney announced if it was capped at 1000 and the locations included. Iger said it was at 1000 for now, but that multiple divisions (including Media) were participating so it's not just certain sites
- A gentleman asked about Disney support for initiatives to save a landmark in Kansas City related to Disney (their old cartoon office)
- Questions about the use of marvel in the parks (recent major acquisition.. perfectly legit)
- Questions about investing in Avatar instead of StarWars (another major investment)
- Someone tried to ask about John Carter flopping.. and they basically said 'too early to comment'
- Kid asked if Pixar will start making more than one movie a year - they responded they have additional capacity now, but still targeting quality over quantity
and of course the two that will be misconstrued on sites for months now..
The talk about Pirates and Cars in the parks and looking to expand it. TO BE CLEAR, the question was by someone talking about character meals and basically saying there isn't a lot for boys. Iger responded in that they are exploring how to improve in that area by expanding the use of some of their more boy oriented franchices in the parks.. and pirates and cars were two of the franchises mentioned. But they were talking things like M&G, characters, etc.. not specifically adding attractions. The context of the discussion was about girl-centric characters vs material for boys too.
And the other.. which people have already gone to the races over.. the 24hr day. A commenter asked about the 24hr day and if they were going to do more. Iger said the event was a big success, but didn't say anything about doing another one, just kind of left it as they were looking at the past event and evaluating it. A second commenter then SUGGESTED that if they do another, they should do it on Dec 5, as it's Walt's birthday. That's the ONLY thing discussed.. not that they are thinking about doing it, or would do it.. just a commenter suggested it.
As far as a shareholder meeting.. I certainly would never waste time to travel to one if this is the type of questioning people have for the CEO/CFO/Chairman. Save that stuff for D23 or other park events.. this meeting was about the entire company, not lame 'I wish there were tiered parking prices for AP holders'