• Minion

Glen Keane Resigns from Disney Animation

Found this on Cartoon Brew
    March 23, 2012
    Dear Colleagues and Friends of the Walt Disney Animation Studio,
    After long and thoughtful consideration, I have decided to leave Disney Animation.
    I am convinced that animation really is the ultimate art form of our time with endless new territories to explore. I can’t resist it’s siren call to step out and discover them.
    Disney has been my artistic home since September 9,1974. I owe so much to those great animators who mentored me—Eric Larson, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston—as well as to the many other wonderful people at Disney whom I have been fortunate to work with in the past nearly 38 years.
    Over these four decades I have seen so many changes, but the one thing that remains the same is that we all do this because we love it.
    I am humbled and deeply honored to have worked side by side so many artists, producers and directors during my career here at Disney, and I am tremendously proud of the films which together we have created. I will deeply miss working with you.
    With my most sincere and heartfelt good wishes for your and Disney’s continued artistic growth and success,
    Glen

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Merry 2014!

Re: Glen Keane Resigns from Disney Animation

I am convinced that animation really is the ultimate art form of our time with endless new territories to explore. I can’t resist it’s siren call to step out and discover them.
    Does this mean he is employed elsewhere? He animated my favorite Disney character Ariel.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Cars Land Rocks!

Kind of sad to see him leave Disney. He gave life to so many great characters. I interviewed him many years ago for a video I was producing. I have a feeling if Disney was still making hand drawn animation a priority, he'd probably have stayed longer.

• I'm wishing

Oh, I'm sorry to hear this! I hate to see him leave Disney, but I hope his talents will be put to good use somewhere else. Any word yet on if he's going to Dreamworks? As I recall, they were seriously courting him last spring when his contract with Disney came up for renewal....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow, sounds like he's tired of the politics and corporate culture of the company. I wish him the best. A truly talented artist and a genuine nice guy.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• former CM

I heard Chuck Jones speak at USC about 14 years ago
    and he was asked which animators working today he admired most.
    He replied, "John Lasseter and Glen Keane."

I sent them both notes informing them of this and Glen Keane sent me a really nice note back thanking me.

Jones noted that Keane could animate humans well, which is particularly challenging.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.

• Minion

There's speculation going around that Glen Keane might be trying to do his longtime dream project of an animated Beethoven's 9th Symphony now that he's left Disney.

Is Disney Legend Glen Keane Starting Work On His Fantasia-Style Dream Project Now That He’s Left The Magic Kingdom? | Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Glen Keane got all this respect the old fashioned way...he earned it. Disney has got to figure out ways to keep the great ones...if for no other reason than to train, coach, and inspire new generations of artists. The Art of Animation is too important...it is the heart of the Walt Disney Company...and people need to start focusing on the future...if Disney is to continue to play the leadership role... it must remember that character animation...the ability to bring heart, emotion, warmth to those line drawings...like Glen and a very famous mermaid of his...is the key.

I hope there are some folks comin' up over at CalArts...the Walt Disney Company is gonna need 'em...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

What a shame! I hope it is indeed to work on his dream project and not because of Disney's internal issues.

I had seen this a few days ago: http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/04/25/...nd-drawn-film/

Hopefully it's true and hand drawn animation is still a priority - but it's a shame to lose Glen Keane if they are starting on a new film...