View Poll Results: Who should be Disney's next CEO?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Lasseter

3 50.00%
  • Jeffrey Katzenberg

1 16.67%
  • Steve Burke

0 0%
  • Thomas Staggs

2 33.33%

• former CM

Who should take over Disney as CEO?

John Lasseter

or

Jeffrey Katzenberg

or

Steve Burke

or should

Thomas Staggs (
    a financial officer turned head of outdoor entertainment with no film experience) assume the position that Walt Disney and Michael Eisner held as the great and underpaid Bob Iger has planned?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-19-2012 at 05:00 AM.

• former CM

Re: Who should take over Disney as CEO instead of Thomas Staggs?

Wow! Three votes (including mine) and one reply (this one) in under 60 hours!
    I guess we can look forward to a bean counter with no storytelling experience filling Walt's shoes.

I honestly believe that Thomas Staggs is the best choice. First, he is gaining experience in the actual physical product by being Chairman of the Parks and Resorts. Secondly compared to the rest of your shortlist, he is the best one to take the company financially forward - with experience currently within the company.

John Lasseter has, without a doubt, one of the best imaginative minds at Disney, so why sacrifice this creativity to focus on stock value and the financial position of the company? He should stay as CCO (Chief Creative Officer) and continue to push for better movies and attractions.

Walt Disney has never actually held the position of CEO. That honour went to Roy with Walt taking a Chairman position as well as - but not officially - CCO. TWDC needs someone who can handle both the financial and creative sides of the company. Staggs - by all accounts - is gaining an appreciation for the creative values of the company. With a strong team within the other divisions, he is a very strong candidate going forward. I view it like Apple with Tim Cook leading. He's not a "Product guy" but he has an appreciation for the finished article, plus with a very strong set of executives, Apple can continue to produce great quality products. Disney are not very different, as long as the quality of the back-room staff is there, Staggs can propel TWDC forward.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by antem View Post
    I honestly believe that Thomas Staggs is the best choice. . . . John Lasseter has, without a doubt, one of the best imaginative minds at Disney, so why sacrifice this creativity to focus on stock value and the financial position of the company? He should stay as CCO (Chief Creative Officer) and continue to push for better movies and attractions.

Walt Disney has never actually held the position of CEO. . .
    Good post, antem! I just hope that Staggs doesn't err on the side of playing it safe. Universal's Harry Potter proves that taking big chances can be worthwhile.

Thanks! Iger has been a great CEO for the company and key to very strategic acquisitions, but I find that he plays it safe most of the time. His tenure was much needed though for the company to cool down after Eisner - who I also believe done a stellar job for the most part. Now that Iger has built up a very successful boys brand (Marvel and Pixar acquisitions) and boosted the Interactive Division, I hope that Staggs can continue the tremendous momentum. Interactive Media will only get stronger, and I cannot wait for DIMG to hit green so the division can really start to become a powerhouse alongside the likes of EA, Zynga, Activision etc. unless of course Disney decide to buy Electronic Arts (even though that would require a lot of restructuring).

• former CM

Who should take over Disney as CEO?

This from Al Lutz today--emphasis mine:
    EDITOR’S NOTE 4/19: John Lasseter paid another visit to Anaheim yesterday, his second of the last week. His seasonal visits in 2011 became bi-weekly this winter, and now he's dropping in every week. Last weekend he thrilled tourists when he ate at the Blue Bayou, after his full DCA inspection in the rain that Tom Staggs insisted on tagging along for. Yesterday John was back in Cars Land riding all the rides again, inspecting all the new details, and fussing over the latest construction delays on Buena Vista Street. TDA is relishing all this last-minute investment in DCA's Billion dollar makeover. . . - Al Lutz

Again, I bolded some names and other words.

So John is visiting every week, even in the rain. And among Disney fans, he has Walt/Stan Lee/Lee Iacoccca in the 80s/Neil Gaiman/Steve Jobs/Tim Tebow/John Paul 2 & Jeremy Lin-like charisma.

Thomas Staggs certainly deserves some respect for accompanying him in the rain.

BTW, Thomas Staggs, drop the "h" & the "as" from your first name. Even excellent actors (Hanks, Selleck, and Cruise), and great, popular recent writers (Wolfe the younger) are "Tom." "Thomas" sounds too much like a theologian. (Jordan and Jackson had made "Michael" cool or at least acceptable for Eisner.) Also, the "S" at the end of the first name is just a bit awkward next to the "S" that starts your last name. Just a suggestion from fellow "Thomas S."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-19-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: I had misspelled Selleck

Whilst it's encouraging to hear that Lasseter is in the parks every week, I just hope he doesn't over do it. I've read that his wife gave Jobs, Iger and other executives a word on making sure that he doesn't work too hard. I would hate for a great imagination like Lasseter's to be lost so soon - just like Walt. But in any case, it's wonderful to see the company revitalise the perfectionist like attitude.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by antem View Post
    Whilst it's encouraging to hear that Lasseter is in the parks every week, I just hope he doesn't over do it. I've read that his wife gave Jobs, Iger and other executives a word on making sure that he doesn't work too hard. I would hate for a great imagination like Lasseter's to be lost so soon - just like Walt. But in any case, it's wonderful to see the company revitalise the perfectionist like attitude.
    Walt smoked over 100,000 (or possibly 200K) cigarettes.

John needs to start each day with a fast, five-mile walk and eat less; this will give him more energy.
    And maybe sell the winery and replace it with a private jet, if he doesn't use Disney's--which he should.
    I realize it's none of my business, but he is a Walt, and Walt did die too early, and
    I'd love John to be as active in his late 70s as Warren Buffet, Rupert Murdoch, Yoda, Ben Franklin & Sumner Redstone were--but not for the dark side. And then enjoy at least a decade of having all kinds of fun with grandkids and great grandkids all over the free world.

P.S. Now is new Disney Studios head Alan Horn in the running? Maybe he will be eventually.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-31-2012 at 09:14 PM.