• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Did James Baskett receive the Disney Legends Award in 2010...or didn't he?

Howdy Pards,

Well, depending on where you look on Google...James Baskett, the feller who played Uncle Remus, in the 1946 film SONG OF THE SOUTH either did receive a Disney Legend Award in the year 2010...or he didn't. So...'xactly what is the truth here? The official Disney site makes no mention of Mr. Baskett whatsoever and seems to be saying that the awards were not presented in 2010. Elsewhere on line, in many different locations, there is a list of recipients for that year...including Tom Hanks. So, who knows the truth here? Did Uncle Remus get this recognition he so richly deserves...or didn't he?

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Re: Did James Baskett receive the Disney Legends Award in 2010...or didn't he?

Howdy Pards,

Is there anyone on here from Disney or anyone who knows someone at Disney who could either verify that this award was presented...or not?

We all know it should have been...but was it?

Wild Ol' Dan

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I would say no, since he is not listed on the official site (even though Disney websites are notorious for inaccuracies).

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I would say no, since he is not listed on the official site (even though Disney websites are notorious for inaccuracies).
    Howdy lazyboy970,

Well...I suspect you are right. Still, I wonder how all these sites on Google got the idea that he had been recognized with the honor?

Where did that information come from?

As you say, the Disney websites have been kinda notorious in the past for their "inaccuracies"...and, to be honest, I believe that this recognition for Mr. Baskett is long, long overdue...

At any rate...thanks for respondin' to the question...

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

One of the places that list James Baskett as a recipient of the Disney Legends Award is the Crown Hill Cemetary web site. In their obituary of Mr. Basket they state, "To Baskett’s acting credit, he became a Disney Legend in 2010."

If the event, in fact, did not happen I wonder where that informtion came from...and if it did, I wonder why The Walt Disney Company hasn't listed it on their web-site with all the other Disney Legends...

Now, understand, of course, that I believe it SHOULD have happened...but, the question is did it?

There are several other web-sites that say the award was presented to Mr. Baskett in 2010...and several that say no awards at all were presented that year.

Has anyone here ever visited DISNEY LEGENDS SQUARE at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank? It should be a simple matter to confirm this one way or another...is there a plaque for Mr. Baskett, or isn't there?

Wild Ol' Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

One of the places that list James Baskett as a recipient of the Disney Legends Award is the Crown Hill Cemetary web site. In their obituary of Mr. Baskett they state, "To Baskett’s acting credit, he became a Disney Legend in 2010."

If the event, in fact, did not happen I wonder where that informtion came from...and if it did, I wonder why The Walt Disney Company hasn't listed it on their web-site with all the other Disney Legends...

Now, understand, of course, that I believe it SHOULD have happened...but, the question is did it?

There are several other web-sites that say the award was presented to Mr. Baskett in 2010...and several that say no awards at all were presented that year.

Has anyone here ever visited DISNEY LEGENDS SQUARE at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank? It should be a simple matter to confirm this one way or another...is there a plaque for Mr. Baskett, or isn't there?

Wild Ol' Dan
    Howdy Pards,

Still no answer to this question...is there no one on this site that works at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank? No one on here that knows someone who does? This question really shouldn't be all that hard to answer...either Mr. Baskett did...or he didn't.

If he did, then everyone should know about it. If he didn't, then the Walt Disney Company should recognize him...it is an honor long, long overdue.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Well according to Wikipedia, and other sites on Google, these are the people who received DISNEY LEGEND recognition in the year 2010:

James Baskett, Film
    Jim Cummings, Animation (voice)
    Tom Hanks, Film, Animation (voice)
    Aaron Spelling, Television
    Frank Welker, Animation (voice)

Yet, there seems to be NO recognition of this on the official Disney Web-site...

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Somebody knows the answer to this question...please share the correct answer with us.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Refugee from a island

To the best of my knowledge, the individuals you cited were not made Disney Legends. I believe since the first D23 Expo where the induction ceremony was held, Disney choose to hold off on a 2010 induction and conduct it again at the 2011 Expo. Know of those individuals were included. Someone else can correct me if they'd like, but, I believe your best and most credible source would be the the Disney Legend website.

Hope this helps.

Howdy Pards,

Well, Dave Smith has replied to my question. James Baskett has NOT yet received the Disney Legends Award. Contrary to several sites on Google there were no awards presented in the year 2010.

My thanks to Dave for his answer.

Let's hope that Mr. Baskett is soon recognized with this long overdue honor.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."