Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Re: Rich Ross steps down

No surprise. The only question is what kind of brilliant replacement Bob Iger will pick this time. (Hint: David Stainton's available.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Re: Rich Ross resigns from Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Ever since his presentation at the Expo, I knew this guy was all talk. He just didn't have the right mind set for this company.
    Everybody in town knew that from the get-go.

Except for Bob Iger -- the guy who promoted him.

Any bets on which TV-trained dweeb that TV-trained Bob will pick this time?

- Neil Gabler

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I don't really know what all the hub-bub is. But this article helped. Interesting read.

"I’d be lying if I said I knew exactly why Rich Ross got the ax as head of Disney Studios on Friday after barely 2 ˝ years in the job. But like a lot of people in Hollywood, I’d also be lying if I said I knew why he got the job in the first place."

Rich Ross ousted at Disney: What went wrong? - latimes.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I just hope the Muppet sequel is still on track. Let's hope his replacement is a supporter of the Muppets.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pyttius View Post
    I don't really know what all the hub-bub is. But this article helped. Interesting read.

"I’d be lying if I said I knew exactly why Rich Ross got the ax as head of Disney Studios on Friday after barely 2 ˝ years in the job. But like a lot of people in Hollywood, I’d also be lying if I said I knew why he got the job in the first place."

Rich Ross ousted at Disney: What went wrong? - latimes.com
    An interesting quote from that article:

"Is it time to put an old hand at the tiller, someone with decades of experience and finely tuned creative instincts? Or will Iger double down on another newcomer? If you study the history of Hollywood, the track record for outsiders isn’t especially good, especially ones like Ross who had a touch of arrogance about their own gifts.

...If I were Bob Iger, I’d be very wary of making another bad choice. If his next pick doesn’t pan out, the person getting the blame will be Iger himself."

And from the New York Times:

"His departure is a rare misstep by Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive. After firing Disney’s previous movie chairman in September 2009, Mr. Iger stunned Hollywood by handing the job of a studio turnaround to Mr. Ross, whose career until then was spent entirely in television. It was a bold decision that did not work in practice, as Mr. Ross, 50, in turn hired lieutenants with little or no film experience.

...Mr. Iger now finds himself in the painful position of having a movie studio that continues to operate in turmoil more than two years after he first moved to fix it. It may take weeks or months to fill the movie chairman job, partly because of a lack of candidates inside the company and across the industry. Running a movie studio has become one of Hollywood’s least coveted jobs because of the huge challenges the business faces, not the least of which involves slumping DVD sales.

...When Mr. Ross came to the studio job he was riding a wave of success, having turned Disney Channel into a franchise-generating machine that spawned properties like "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical." Mr. Ross also played a significant role in the rise of the Jonas Brothers.

He started his career as a talent booker at Nickelodeon and joined the Disney Channel in 1996 as senior vice president for programming, helping to develop 'Lizzie McGuire.'"

...Yup. Bob sure knows how to pick 'em.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

...When Mr. Ross came to the studio job he was riding a wave of success, having turned Disney Channel into a franchise-generating machine that spawned properties like "Hannah Montana" and "High School Musical."

Two franchises that each brought in over a Billion dollars from modestly budgeted TV series. The latter of the two also kicked in a feature film budgeted at $7-10 million that grossed over $300 million at the box office.

Ross and his team knew how to push the Disney Channel to great heights, taking a shot at his being able to translate that to a major motion picture studio probably seemed like an in-house gamble worth trying at the time.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

^ Too bad selling TV cheeze to teen girls for big bucks doesn't qualify a TV exec to run a major motion picture studio. (Well, anywhere except at Disney.)

Now, if only the ex-TV Exec who runs Disney (you know, the one who inherited Disney from the other ex-TV exec who got fired) learned that lesson, maybe there wouldn't be so many fired ex-TV execs littering up the place.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Disney in my opinion has done a pretty well job of getting some good movies out...ever since Bolt the studios was making some good films.........a few here and there did not work (prince of Persia) and some like John Carter just cost too much (good film not worth the budget)

But we got Tangled, the Muppets, Pooh, Princess and the Frog, most of these will be classics at least unlike other studios that make movies that might make money now..but not in 50 years

• Not on the Jedi Council

PJ Lifestyle » Disney’s Rich Ross: The Rise And Fall Of An Entertainment Mogul

Another write up to add to the mix. They suggest "Word is that Disney is speaking to DreamWorks’ Stacey Snider (former head of Universal Studios), ex MGM head Mary Parent (who got a raw deal when the studios money ran out right when she started) and current Walt Disney Animation head and Pixar Chief John Lassiter [sic]" as replacement candidates.

I HIGHLY doubt John Lassiter is the replacement, as he currently controls Disney Animation/Pixar.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, twernt nuthin' wrong with John Carter the film...'cept maybe that it cost too much to make and they forgot to promote it. I do think it's gonna wind up makin' money in the not so long run...it was a good movie.

That bein' said...to my way of thinkin' it takes a great deal of wisdom for a feller with a huge ego to recognize that bein' the feller in charge sometimes ain't much fun at all. Steppin' down from up thar can be one of the happiest things anyone could possibly do...could lead to a much, much happier life.

Now...this whole thing I suppose has surely been noticed by folks watchin' Mr. Iger... Shucks, the only mistake Mr. Ross made was sayin' "yes" instead of "no thank you". But, then folks with huge egos generally just don't find it easy to turn down "promotions". But, you gotta give this Ross feller credit...
    it didn't take him long to figure out that he was in a spot that twernt much fun...

I think Mr. Iger has gotta loosen his necktie some...maybe head on over to Disneyland and sell some popcorn for a spell...try to get things in perspective here. There's a lotta people watchin' him up thar at the top...maybe it's time for him to remember what it's like to be out thar in the real world a little.

Who knows, he might be happy doin' what Walt used to do...runnin' those choo choo trains around the park...gettin' away from the nonsense over thar in Burbank occasionally...and just doin' somethin' he loved to do...in a place he loved...a place he called "The Happiest Place on Earth"...

Seems the top feller at Disney needs more than all these high level executive skills...he needs to have some fun and nurture a slightly different image than he's been nurturin' lately.

Ever wonder why some of those Disney street cleaners are smilin'? Well, they figured out that Disneyland...and the whole Disney outfit for that matter...is a show. Everyone is important to the success of that show... Mr. Iger has been purty good at buildin' boats...now he needs to focus a little on that studio...and, well, somebody's gotta sell that popcorn over at Disneyland...

Nope...life at the top...it's almost never easy...and sometimes not that much fun... Some folks with a whole lotta ego can find that a mighty hard lesson sometimes... Maybe Mr. Iger needs to loosen his tie some...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-20-2012, 09:32 AM
  2. 04-20-2012, 09:27 AM