Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Is Disney becoming a symbol of out of control corporate greed?

Quote Originally Posted by TCadillac View Post
    If a company does not offer stocks to finance their company then they would be classified as a sole proprietorship or a partnership, not a corporation, and their goal is still to maximize profits while minimizing costs.

On your second point I would not say Disney would be classified under the "Greed" definition you present. You should check out this link to Disney's corporate governance page Corporate Governance | The Walt Disney Company

Click on the link "Standards of Business Conduct". If you read through the documentation Disney operates their company through 6 core values: Integrity, trust, teamwork, honesty, play by the rules, and respect. In regards to caring more about dollars than the people that make the money you should check out core value #3 "Teamwork". Quoting Disney "Our Cast Members and employees are the cornerstone of our magic. We are committed to a work environment where everyone is afforded the dignity and respect that they deserve." Another quote "We promote professional development. We are also committed to offering opportunities for Cast Members and employees to develop and advance professionally, in a manner consistent with their abilities."

A corporation such as Disney can not achieve and sustain success and growth without a commitment to their shareholders which include employees, customers, the community, the environment, etc.
    Yes but theirs a difference between saving money and being smart and greed.....greed is when a company decides to give on many millions and million's of people much less

I know you need head guys and they should get paid a fair amount but the amount most head guys make could be spit in a fourth and give the other 3/4 (along with all other heads of the company) and other people in the company get some more money instead of sending all the money to the head guys

Without the artists and creative types Disney can't be as much as the penny pinches...yet guess who makes more an Imageneer of Tom staggs?

• Just another Disney fan..

By its very definition of being a for profit corporation, it is the duties of the corporation to maximize profits. Why should Disney be viewed upon differently than any other corporation such as Apple, Exxon/Mobile, etc?

People can choose to stop paying Disney for what they offer if they feel it is overpriced.

Here is another question to consider....

"Are Disney fans becoming a symbol of people who have an out of control sense of entitlement and huge self-centered attitude?"

As a Disney fan and as a consumer, I don't welcome nor do I like price increases. I would think that just about everyone would feel the same.

But Disney (especially the theme park division) is not a necessity and it is not something Disney fans are owed at a price equivalent of whatever each individual feels is reasonable. Like everything else, people have a choice if they want to pay the asking prices or not.

So to answer the original question posed... the answer is YES Disney is becoming and has been for a long time a symbol of out of control corporate greed .

But the reasons aren't because it is in fact greedy and out of control. The reasons are because the consumers for whatever reasons have for the most part chosen to view Disney as something they are entitled to at a price they feel is reasonable. Not a price reasonable to everyone, but a price reasonable to their own personal situation.

If Disney were truly greedy and out of control, it would have priced themselves out of profitabiity years ago. The fact is that even in what people call a "poor economy" Disney is thriving. Consumers continue to pay the asking prices. Theme park attendance is UP.

To me it seems like Disney is very much "in control".
    Last edited by Roger55; 08-04-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Can't type :(

when I first started going again on a regular basis in the early 80's I noticed that the park still had much of its innocence. Now a lot of the sparkle and fun is tarnished, at least that's the way I see it. Still fun, but not as much. I remember I wrote to the park once commenting as the OP did about the cost of the drinks. They replied that it was what the market price was, or something to that effect. Kind of a dumb thing to say, as though we could go to Knotts and get a coke if they had a lower price.
    when its in the 90's and water is going for over $2.50, you know someone is making some serious bucks. It's over $125 to feed a family at the Big Thunder barbeque as another example. It's rough to take a family to Disney, but something still draws us there. And they know it.

Well stated. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    By its very definition of being a for profit corporation, it is the duties of the corporation to maximize profits. Why should Disney be viewed upon differently than any other corporation such as Apple, Exxon/Mobile, etc?

People can choose to stop paying Disney for what they offer if they feel it is overpriced.

Here is another question to consider....

"Are Disney fans becoming a symbol of people who have an out of control sense of entitlement and huge self-centered attitude?"

As a Disney fan and as a consumer, I don't welcome nor do I like price increases. I would think that just about everyone would feel the same.

But Disney (especially the theme park division) is not a necessity and it is not something Disney fans are owed at a price equivalent of whatever each individual feels is reasonable. Like everything else, people have a choice if they want to pay the asking prices or not.

So to answer the original question posed... the answer is YES Disney is becoming and has been for a long time a symbol of out of control corporate greed .

But the reasons aren't because it is in fact greedy and out of control. The reasons are because the consumers for whatever reasons have for the most part chosen to view Disney as something they are entitled to at a price they feel is reasonable. Not a price reasonable to everyone, but a price reasonable to their own personal situation.

If Disney were truly greedy and out of control, it would have priced themselves out of profitabiity years ago. The fact is that even in what people call a "poor economy" Disney is thriving. Consumers continue to pay the asking prices. Theme park attendance is UP.

To me it seems like Disney is very much "in control".

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

In trying to form an answer, I looked to the internet to find any kind of formal qualitative research as to how people view Disney. Forbes published two articles detailing the results of studies conducted by the Reputation Institute in early 2012.

America's Most Reputable Companies
    In the first quarter of 2012, Reputation Institute conducted an online study among 10,198 consumers. It measured consumers’ perceptions of those companies among the 150 largest in the U.S. that they were “somewhat” or “very” familiar with. Each company earned a “RepTrak Pulse” score of 0 to 100, representing an average measure of people’s feelings–or reputation–for a company. The scores were statistically derived from four emotional indicators: trust, esteem, admiration, and good feeling.
    In this study, Disney ranked #17 out of 150 companies. The top 3 companies are General Mills, Kraft Foods, and Johnson & Johnson. The bottom 3 are companies in the financial industry, who probably are most symbolic of greed over the past few years: Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, and Goldman Sacs.

The second Forbes article took a larger, global view. Again, this was a study conducted by the Reputation Institute earlier this year.

The World's Most Reputable Companies
    Reputation Institute, a global private consulting firm based in New York, recently ranked 100 businesses that have successfully established strong international names for themselves. The firm invited about 47,000 consumers across 15 markets to participate in a study of those 100 most reputable companies, all multinational businesses with a global presence.
    In the global study, Disney ranked even higher at #3. The top 2 companies in this study are BMW and Sony. The bottom 3 are Lockheed Martin, Vodafone and Petrobas.

These rankings puts Disney's reputation in a pretty good light. If the company is seen as greedy, it's either not reflected in these surveys OR other values (e.g. trust, esteem, admiration or good feeling) carry more importance to those surveyed. Looking at the other companies and their rankings in the lists makes for some interesting reading. For example, in the US-only study: Apple #8, Target #22, Southwest Air #51, Starbucks #78, Time Warner #124.

•   
    • Fresno Follies

Blog Entries

Out of control? No. DIS is much better than most companies. Their business is to create wonderful memories. Dividends are nothing special. Last years dividend bought another share for me. Iger may have earned his bonus. They just invested a billion into a once failing park. The result cOuld have also been a bust in another's hands. This is no Exxon on Haliburton.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123