Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Is Disney becoming a symbol of out of control corporate greed?

Howdy Pards,

Well, it sure wasn't anywhere near this bad back in Walt's day. Nope it surely wasn't.

With profits measured today in the billions...Disney management is raising prices at the already way overpriced theme parks again. Their hotels and campgrounds and little boat rides in the ocean are way, way overpriced to the point of being totally ridiculous and out of reach of most middle income families in America. It costs fourteen or more dollars just to park your car in a Disney lot for one day. Once inside, a 50 cent Coke is sellin' for $2.59. And Mr. Iger and company, and ravenous Disney stockholders whose only interest is money, money, money and more money, continue to smile all the way to the bank.

So...here's the question: "Is today's Disney management fast becoming a symbol of totally out of control corporate greed?"

I suspect you might have an opinion on this...I'm beginning to form one myself...

Yep, you could say that the image of Disney management has changed quite a bit since those days when Walt Disney was still around. Back then, we loved the place...

Twas Mama Odie who said it best... "Money ain't got no soul. Money ain't got no heart!"

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Not here to help

Re: Is Disney becoming a symbol of out of control corporate greed?

No
    It has been that for decades.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

many thanks

I agree with Timmy, Disney has had that association ever since I can remember.

That reputation definitely been more prevalent with the recent price jumps at Disneyland. I'm interested to see how one justifies those prices, and whether this is truly "corporate greed" or just smart business that will ultimately make the Disney experience better in the long run.

Either way, the Walt Disney Company is a huge corporation, and huge corporations will always be viewed by a lot of people as greedy soulless empires (whether its deserved or not).

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney is a symbol of out-of-control corporate theme park attraction competition. With an uncertain tough econimy hanging on, Disnney corporate management has apparently decided to keep many of the ticket, food, merchandise and lodging prices unduely high. If it were not for the unique new word class rides and shows, I would be nmothing but criticle. Intead, I'm willing to give the economy a couple of years before i pass my judgement. In the meantime, I cannot praise the companey enough for all of the inexplicably wonderful new attractions, and the awesomeness yet to come.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post

No
    It has been that for decades.
    Actually, it has been that way for over a quarter century -- since 1985, when the Eisner regime took over and applied their current business model to all aspects of Disney theme park operation.

From raising customers' prices to slashing employees' training, from charging $3 to have your name stitched on your Mouse Ears (formerly free) to paying CMs fast-food wages, Disney under Eisner and Iger is a classic, ruthless Wall Street corporation. The difference with other ruthless Wall Street corporations is that this one likes to masquerade in a cloak of pixie dust.

Ask anyone in town who's done business with them.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

Well, it sure wasn't anywhere near this bad back in Walt's day. Nope it surely wasn't.

With profits measured today in the billions...Disney management is raising prices at the already way overpriced theme parks again. Their hotels and campgrounds and little boat rides in the ocean are way, way overpriced to the point of being totally ridiculous and out of reach of most middle income families in America. It costs fourteen or more dollars just to park your car in a Disney lot for one day. Once inside, a 50 cent Coke is sellin' for $2.59. And Mr. Iger and company, and ravenous Disney stockholders whose only interest is money, money, money and more money, continue to smile all the way to the bank.

So...here's the question: "Is today's Disney management fast becoming a symbol of totally out of control corporate greed?"

I suspect you might have an opinion on this...I'm beginning to form one myself...

Yep, you could say that the image of Disney management has changed quite a bit since those days when Walt Disney was still around. Back then, we loved the place...

Twas Mama Odie who said it best... "Money ain't got no soul. Money ain't got no heart!"

Wild Ol' Dan
    ok first of all its the same price to park in as Magic Mountain and second coke is over $1.50 in most stores not $0.50
    and third Disney is a business and as a business money is high motivation. and if youre suggesting the Disney company didnt care about money when Walt was around please google Roy Disney

and last im a stock holder and money isnt my prime motivation for Disney

---------- Post added 06-24-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Actually, it has been that way for over a quarter century -- since 1985, when the Eisner regime took over and applied their current business model to all aspects of Disney theme park operation.

From raising customers' prices to slashing employees' training, from charging $3 to have your name stitched on your Mouse Ears (formerly free) to paying CMs fast-food wages, Disney under Eisner and Iger is a classic, ruthless Wall Street corporation. The difference with other ruthless Wall Street corporations is that this one likes to masquerade in a cloak of pixie dust.

Ask anyone in town who's done business with them.
    sadly i agree

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    ok first of all its the same price to park in as Magic Mountain and second coke is over $1.50 in most stores not $0.50
    and third Disney is a business and as a business money is high motivation. and if youre suggesting the Disney company didnt care about money when Walt was around please google Roy Disney

and last im a stock holder and money isnt my prime motivation for Disney

---------- Post added 06-24-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

Howdy MrsMonroe,

O.K....let's see if we can't address your points...one by one. I ain't never been to Magic Mountain...so I'll have to take your word that they are chargin' way too much to park your car too.

You're from out thar in California so I reckon you are right about it costin' you folks $1.50 for a 50 cent coke. In most of the country it'll cost ya 50 to 75 cents dependin' on where ya go. You can get a big Ol' 2 Liter Bottle of soda pop at Walmart for anywheres tween 84 cents and $1.38...I know cause I bought some just the other day.

As for Roy Disney, I reckon I know a little about him. Seems he spent a good deal of his lifetime tryin' to find the financin'
    for his brother's projects. He was indeed a financial genius...but he believed in his brother's philosophy of business...putting the money into exciting new projects and ideas. That's not to say they weren't very successful financially...they were. Did you know that Roy figured out a way of buildin' Walt Disney World without the company having any debt whatsoever when it opened? He surely did.

Now...lots of fine folks bought Disney stock probably for the same reason you did...you believed in the product. Profits weren't your primary motivation. Well...I commend you for that. Other stockholders look upon Disney as...what do rich folks call it? Oh yes, a "cash cow"...which means profits, profits, profits. Mr. Wiggins summarized that up right nice I think and like you say, saddly, it's true. The Disney Company today measures profits in the BILLIONS of dollars...they gave a bonus to good ol' Mr. Iger just recently...twenty six million dollars I think it was. Then...they raised prices at their theme parks once again.
    All of which kinda brings us back to the original question of this here thread...not a statement...a question..."Is Disney becoming a symbol of out of control corporate greed?" Not you...Disney.

It's an image thing...that folks are starting to think seriously about...money in most folks wallets bein' so tight an all...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-24-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Disney management is raising prices at the already way overpriced theme parks again. Their hotels and campgrounds and little boat rides in the ocean are way, way overpriced to the point of being totally ridiculous and out of reach of most middle income families in America. It costs fourteen or more dollars just to park your car in a Disney lot for one day. Once inside, a 50 cent Coke is sellin' for $2.59. And Mr. Iger and company, and ravenous Disney stockholders whose only interest is money, money, money and more money, continue to smile all the way to the bank.
    trust me you think you have it bad over their, here in California to buy a bottle of soda its around 3.50, one day i went to Disney California Adventures to attend the ElecTronica Dance Party i bought a bottle of a souvenir coca cola which was like 3 inch's tall (which i drank in 1 gulp that's how little the bottle was) which cost me 3.25 and Disney gets their coca cola for free which is the reason i get mad so they are greedy with their soda . but overall all Disney parks here in the U.S seem over priced but not really, before the one ticket system Disney sold Admission tickets to the park and then inside the park they sold separate admission tickets to the rides. In the late 1970's they phased this system out and im guessing they added up everything and put one price for the entire park that's y now we can ride the rides unlimited without having to buy tickets every time we want to ride a ride that's also y the ticket price seems high but for what ur getting its actually not and u cant forget the shows either they help the prices go up, Disney needs to pay for everything to run so they raise up the prices, but i also see your point with the boats over their that does seem over priced and especially the parking but ares is actually $15 at the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure. The thing that does make me mad is, my opinion, Disney also knows that people think the park tickets seem high so they actually raise the prices of everything they own outside their parks. but overall in my opinion i don't think there greedy because the trips i take to Disneyland (50-60 trips a month, i live like 6mins away from disneyland ) i actually feel like i get my money's worth

[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]
    Mr. Wiggins summarized that up right nice I think and like you say, saddly, it's true. The Disney Company today measures profits in the BILLIONS of dollars...they gave a bonus to good ol' Mr. Iger just recently...twenty six million dollars I think it was. Then...they raised prices at their theme parks once again.
    All of which kinda brings us back to the original question of this here thread...not a statement...a question..."Is Disney becoming a symbol of out of control corporate greed?" Not you...Disney.

It's an image thing...that folks are starting to think seriously about...money in most folks wallets bein' so tight an all...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Yes, Disney is a symbol of corporate greed.

The price increases earlier this month made me curious. I was telling myself "Disney needs to raise their prices to keep us entertained."

Here is a quote taken from Mr. Iger's letter to the shareholders found in the Annual Report of the Walt Disney Company for the 2011 Fiscal Year:

In fiscal 2011, net income attributable to Disney was a record $4.8 billion, an increase of 21% over last year, and revenue was a record $40.9 billion, up 7% from last year. Diluted earnings per share increased by 24% to a record $2.52. I’m particularly gratified by our outstanding performance in fiscal 2011, given the challenging global economic environment.
    Annual Reports | The Walt Disney Company

"Record" and "increase" were words used more than once and yet prices are constantly going up and up. Disney seems to have an insatiable appetite for profits.

• Refugee from a island

Let us set aside for the moment that Disney is a public company, providing a very non-essential consumer product. Let us also set aside that Disney management owes a fiduciary responsibility to increase the value its stockholders’ investments. And, momentarily suspend the economic principles of ‘supply and demand.’

Imagine what Disneyland, or any U.S. Disney park for that matter, would look like if Disney was to roll back prices too… say 1990 level? I would imagine that the turnstiles of these parks would be closing down early on an almost daily basis because of capacity crowds.

The pricing accomplishes more than just profits; it is also a means of crowd control.

Not many people are going to like this, but, I posit that those who are complaining of Disney being greedy, are themselves being bit greedy…and are ticked because they now can’t go to a Disney Park as often as they’d like.

You may not like it, but it is free enterprise working the way free enterprise is suppose to work.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Howdy Second Star,

No...a company...even in a free enterprise system...can take the concept of profits beyond the point of common decency...especially a company as important to America as The Walt Disney Company. There is nothing wrong with making a profit...but there is something wrong...very wrong with corporate greed.

The question is...is the Disney company becoming a symbol of corporate greed. For many, many, many years it has been a wonderful symbol of American Free Enterprise. It built it's success by a focus on making guests happy...it's product inspired, enriched, brought joy and happiness into our lives...all of our lives...not just the lives of the very rich.

In short Disney has represented far more than simply profit making in the past...and people loved and respected the company for that. In fact, under Walt Disney's leadership, it became a beloved American Institution.

Is it now becoming a beloved American Institution for only rich people? There is a line...and folks are indeed starting to notice. The image of this beloved American company may well be changing because of the management of this beloved American company.

Cars Land...a reinvestment of profits...is a positive sign that there may indeed be hope for the future. Still, review all the posts on this thread...a pattern in evolving...not necessarily in the company's best interests... The patterns found on this thread reflect attitudes forming around the world...

Wild Ol' Dan

• I am not a Krusty Krab

[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]
    Howdy MrsMonroe,

O.K....let's see if we can't address your points...one by one. I ain't never been to Magic Mountain...so I'll have to take your word that they are chargin' way too much to park your car too.

You're from out thar in California so I reckon you are right about it costin' you folks $1.50 for a 50 cent coke. In most of the country it'll cost ya 50 to 75 cents dependin' on where ya go. You can get a big Ol' 2 Liter Bottle of soda pop at Walmart for anywheres tween 84 cents and $1.38...I know cause I bought some just the other day.

As for Roy Disney, I reckon I know a little about him. Seems he spent a good deal of his lifetime tryin' to find the financin'
    for his brother's projects. He was indeed a financial genius...but he believed in his brother's philosophy of business...putting the money into exciting new projects and ideas. That's not to say they weren't very successful financially...they were. Did you know that Roy figured out a way of buildin' Walt Disney World without the company having any debt whatsoever when it opened? He surely did.

Now...lots of fine folks bought Disney stock probably for the same reason you did...you believed in the product. Profits weren't your primary motivation. Well...I commend you for that. Other stockholders look upon Disney as...what do rich folks call it? Oh yes, a "cash cow"...which means profits, profits, profits. Mr. Wiggins summarized that up right nice I think and like you say, saddly, it's true. The Disney Company today measures profits in the BILLIONS of dollars...they gave a bonus to good ol' Mr. Iger just recently...twenty six million dollars I think it was. Then...they raised prices at their theme parks once again.

Wild Ol' Dan
    may i ask where you live because i like the prices there. because Coke is over a dollar for one litter no matter where you go in Southern California and the average county fair, theme park and sports game costs over $10.00 to park. and i agree that the company had a better way of sending back then but sadly times have changed and everything is about money. but on the other hand, Disney is quality and they pride the fact that other parks are dirt and Disney is clean. sorry is i came off as a &$%#@ on my last post, wasnt in a great mood, sorry for that

and might i say i love the way you write

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Refugee from a island

Cars Land...a reinvestment of profits...is a positive sign that there may indeed be hope for the future. Still, review all the posts on this thread...a pattern in evolving...not necessarily in the company's best interests... The patterns found on this thread reflect attitudes forming around the world...
    I don't think 9 negative responses on a 12 post thread constitute any kind of trend on a board with over 50,000 member. Especially since many of the responses are from member who I see continually bash Disney in other threads.

That also doesn't discount your ignoring the main point of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
    Let us set aside for the moment that Disney is a public company, providing a very non-essential consumer product. Let us also set aside that Disney management owes a fiduciary responsibility to increase the value its stockholders’ investments. And, momentarily suspend the economic principles of ‘supply and demand.’

Imagine what Disneyland, or any U.S. Disney park for that matter, would look like if Disney was to roll back prices too… say 1990 level? I would imagine that the turnstiles of these parks would be closing down early on an almost daily basis because of capacity crowds.

The pricing accomplishes more than just profits; it is also a means of crowd control.

Not many people are going to like this, but, I posit that those who are complaining of Disney being greedy, are themselves being bit greedy…and are ticked because they now can’t go to a Disney Park as often as they’d like.

You may not like it, but it is free enterprise working the way free enterprise is suppose to work.

As always, just my 2 cents.
    Howdy Second Star,

Well, I surely didn't mean to ignore the primary point of your post...so...let's look at the whole thing...

I'm not entirely sure that I agree that what Disney is providing is all that non-essential to the happiness and well-being of our world these days. And, hold on to your hat, I have absolutely no objection whatsoever to Disney increasing the value of stockholder's investments. Within reason.

Now, you say that I should imagine what Disneyland or any U.S. Disney park for that matter, would look like if Disney was to roll back prices to say 1990 levels. Well, I'll tell ya...both attendance and profits would go UP!

Capacity crowds are controlled by closing down the turnstiles when the parks are full...
    not by raising prices so only the very rich can get in.

Now as to your point about those who are "complaining of Disney being greedy, are themselves being a bit greedy...and are ticked because they now can't go to a Disney Park as often as they'd like." I don't know if I would characterize folks who wanna visit a Disney Park as bein' greedy...I rather think the truth of it is that they love the place...they love the hope, the magic, the joy, the beauty, and the wonder of the place. Should they be locked out because their wallets are not large enough? I don't think so. That is not exactly what Walt had in mind when he built the place...as I recall he said, "To all who come to this happy place...welcome." Not..."To all rich people who come to this happy place...welcome."

No...poor folks who wanna visit Disney are not being greedy. Turns out they need hope, and joy, and magic, and wonder, and happiness just as much, if not a little more than rich folks do.

Raising prices to ridiculous levels is not "free enterprise working the way free enterprise is suppose to work." It is greed...pure and simple.

Disney stockholders have a right to hope for some level of profits...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, many of us believe that Disney's customers or guests should be treated just a little better than they are being treated these days... Why? Well,
    because the whole company was founded on that idea...

Now, as to what Disney is doing being a "non-essential consumer product"...well...Walt had an idea or two about that...here's what he said:

"More than ever, I believe in the permanence of any well-founded institution which recognizes and caters to the basic needs of the people, spiritually as well as materially. And in my opinion, entertainment in its broadest sense has become a necessity rather than a luxury in the life of the American people."

Walt thought about his company and life on a little higher plane, "You reach a point where you don't work for money."

"Well, I think by this time my staff, my young group of executives, and everything else, are convinced that Walt is right. That quality will out. And so I think they're going to stay with that policy because it's proved that it's a good business policy. Give the people everything you can give them. Keep the place as clean as you can keep it. Keep it friendly, you know. Make it a real fun place to be. I think they're convinced and I think they'll hang on after...as you say...well...after Disney."

"Disneyland is not just another amusement park. It's unique, and I want it kept that way.
    Besides, you don't work for a dollar -- you work to create and have fun."

Nope...I reckon you could say that Walt Disney...the feller who created the company...just wasn't in to corporate greed much...he was a whole lot more interested in makin' folks happy no matter how big or small their wallets might be.

On page 49 of THE QUOTABLE WALT DISNEY book you'll find this interesting little comment:

"A word may be said in regard to the concept and conduct of Disneyland's operational tone. Although various sections will have the fun and flavor of a carnival or amusement park, there will be none of the pitches, game wheels, sharp practices, and devices designed to milk the visitor's pocketbook."

Seems Walt was more interested in treatin' folks right than milkin' the visitor's pocketbook. As a result of Walt's philosophy of business and of life the Walt Disney Company became one of the most beloved and successful businesses on earth...

Wild Ol' Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast