Disney Airlines?

I dont know if its been asked before but does anyone think Disney will ever create an airline? and How do you guys think it would be like? and What kind of Airplanes Models would they buy? (A380s, 737s, 747s,etc...) and Would they have characters on Board for the kids?

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Disney Airlines?

it would be interesting and expensive as well as fun perhaps. turn it into an art form lol

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Banned User

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, Disney made a deal with the Pentagon and created the Disney Air Force.

• Yay Mickey!!

I have thought about this before. Back when the cruise line was starting out, my group of Disney friends discussed the pro's and con's of such a Disney venture. It would be fun to fly along with pilot Mickey and the Guest Service would be good too. What we could not get past was the potential PR nightmare if there were to be some sort of air disaster and lives were lost. Then a few later, came the 9/11 and that pretty much dismissed any idea in our minds that Disney would get into the airline business.

-Justin

I've thought about this too, but I don't think it would work. The airline industry is not very PR-friendly. No matter how great you are, you'll still be subject to delays, weather, TSA agents, and all the other frustrating stuff that people associate with flying. I doubt Disney wants its brand associated with any of that. Even if they had a good/friendly reputation (like Southwest does), it still seems like a cutthroat industry and financially very difficult. Disney doesn't seem like that kind of risk-taker. Plus, unlike the cruise industry, I don't think there's a niche for a family oriented airline. Disney will build the parks, but let someone else get them there.

But I would love to see what kind of livery/paintjob Disney could do with an airliner.

I am pretty sure Disney wants to make money on any investments they make..lol

Airline industry is cut throat and difficult to make money in, takes a lot of capital and the chances of success are not very good, Disney would have no net benefit to owning an airline other then having their name flying around on the side of airplanes.

Richard Branson has a saying that goes like this: the easiest way to become a millionaire is to start out a billionaire then go into the airline business.

And its 100% true, airlines burn through money like no tomorrow, they lose more money then they ever make.

Look at the past 12 years in the airline industry in the US.

Aloha and ATA- Went out of business.

US Airways, Delta, Northwest, United all filed bankruptcy in the earlier half of the decade.

Delta and Northwest merged.

Continental and United Merged.

American Airlines is currently in bankruptcy protection.

The youngest airline at the moment in the US is Virgin America, and since they start 5 or so years ago, they haven't yet turned a profit, most recently they reported a 76 million loss for the first quarter.

United reports a 448 million loss in 1st quarter.

Trust me, Disney will never start an airline, they will never see the money they invest into it, and the profit margin at an airline suck on a good day.

Add Midwest Airlines to the list of now defunt airlines since 2000.

• Hukuna Matata!

I love the airline I work for, and I am really really glad we did not make your list, Jsmith. But I would have to consider working there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    I love the airline I work for, and I am really really glad we did not make your list, Jsmith. But I would have to consider working there.
    I thoroughly enjoyed at the airline I was at, but after 9/11 and the instability and the 4 moves (it was either transfer or be laid off) I decided to quit. Moving every 4-6 months was exhausting.