Exclamation Is Disney eyeing Hasbro?

No sooner has the world calmed down from the LucasFilm acquisition, than the next M&A rumours have begun! Wall Street have already started to consider Disney's next multi-billion dollar acquisition. According to MTV, Disney have been in talks with Hasbro - the owners of GI Joe, Transformers and Star Wars toy production. The company is one of two major toy brands in the word, the other being Mattel, and have successfully moved their IP onto the movie and home entertainment screens.

In my opinion, this isn't the best move Disney could make. Currently, Disney can enjoy the pleasure of picking who to choose as the toy manufacturer to bring down the price. Apple don't mass-make their products, they employ Foxconn for that. If Disney were ever to buy any other IP based company, I would love for a Nintendo (in the days after console production) buyout.
    Last edited by antem; 11-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.

• Bangarang!

Re: Is Disney eyeing Hasbro?

Given how quiet both Lucasfilm and Marvel deals were kept, I'm wondering if this is nothing more than speculation.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This would be absolutely frightening power that Disney would have on the boys market. They would pretty much own my entire childhood save for He-Man and Ninja Turtles.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Haha now if they did this, what would that mean for future Transformer rides at Universal?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Given how quiet both Lucasfilm and Marvel deals were kept, I'm wondering if this is nothing more than speculation.
    I would have to agree, and I predict that some people wanted their stock to rise - Hasbro has risen 4.4% today. Equally, the silence before the previous deals were pretty fantastic, putting faith in those who worked on the deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I am wondering how deep Disney's pockets are... :P
    For the love of Disney....

•   
    • Banned User

I'm with Antem. I loved the 80's GI Joes and Transformers and even into today's toy market they really do continue to dominate with even the Star Wars stuff as well. ....but is it Disney? It kind of doesn't feel like it. Toy companies spend a lot of time on the verge of not making it, even after decades of being around. It doesn't feel like a solid investment to make.

I think at this point a lot of us are just concerned about "...and now they're buying what?" Good grief Disney, stop shopping and just play with the acquisitions you've already bought.

• will-o-the-whip

From what I've heard what Disney is interested in from Hasbro's portfolio is Wizards of the Coast to get the intellectual property for Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons. The one thing Disney is missing is an established fantasy narrative, and WotC would give this in spades to base movie series and TV shows on. Disney has missed out on Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, so don't be surprised if Disney picks off Wizards from Hasbro. Disney is not interested in the toy business of Hasbro, it's interested in lucrative IPs for new media series.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    From what I've heard what Disney is interested in from Hasbro's portfolio is Wizards of the Coast to get the intellectual property for Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons. The one thing Disney is missing is an established fantasy narrative, and WotC would give this in spades to base movie series and TV shows on. Disney has missed out on Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, so don't be surprised if Disney picks off Wizards from Hasbro.
    This actually makes quite a bit of sense, but do you have a source/link.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Disney is not interested in the toy business of Hasbro, it's interested in lucrative IPs for new media series.
    This is what stumped me with Disney buying them. The rights to the Transformer and GI Joe film properties are already tied up so it would echo the Marvel rights deal. But just the WotC acquisition does sound plausible.