Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Disney fined for rip-off princess toy

LINK: Prosecutors take on Disney princess kit | UTSanDiego.com

I don't know who gets the $225,000,
    and I wonder if Disney even knew what this product contained. (I guess they should have.)
    Are they still selling this in other states even though it will cause some customers to equate Disney with "rip off"?
    Will they continue to do business with the company that produced this?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Disney fined for rip-off princess toy

I'm sorry but I fail to see where the deception was...

The unopened box:
    Name:  princess_cover_t620.JPG
Views: 518
Size:  68.4 KB

The opened box:

Name:  princess_inside_t620.JPG
Size:  66.3 KB

Everything that was being show in the unopened package is in the open one. Is the complaint that there are empty slots?

Also it says on the package what the box contains and it looks like all of that is there.

This just sounds like a spoiled kid didn't get what she thought she was getting and mommy and daddy saw $$ signs.

The girl was crushed when she opened the container to find it empty beyond the beads she could see through the labeling on the container’s lid.

And when my kid complained I would explain the empty slots were for holding the beads and projects separate.

That is my take on it. I'm not a bracelet maker so if I am missing something here please let me know.

• Minion

Very silly indeed. It says right on the packaging how many beads are in the box.
    Jeff Wayne

• Team Hail HYDRA

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    And when my kid complained I would explain the empty slots were for holding the beads and projects separate.
    me too
    i sad what people will now to make some $$$$$

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• former CM

Thanks for posting the photo. So who did get the money?

I do think it was packaged to mislead, which is uncool to do to kids, though you could argue it provided a good teaching moment. I just hate Disney to be seen as the sleazy capitalists to be wary of. The empty boxes just looked wrong to me, but blasting Disney on the internet seems more appropriate to me than involving the government. I would like to see ads aimed at small kids (especially for unhealthy foods) outlawed as they are in some other countries.

• Knight that says Nee!!

It is only "packaged to mislead" if you call misleading the same as expecting people to have common sense and basic powers of observation. This is a typical example of parents failing to be parents and rather scapegoating others (in this case a company) for that failure and then attempting to profit on it.

The parent didn't sue, the lawyers did on their behalf. The money is supposed to be going toward prohibiting future "fraudulent practices" through the legal system.

Also, Disney didn't get hit with the lawsuit, the toy manufacturer did. Disney simply licensed their images and properties to them to produce the product in question. Whether or not Disney actually knew what was going on with the toy is (as far as I can tell from the article) unknown.

Personally I would think there would be some sort of check and balance with Disney licensing.
    For the love of Disney....

• Seasick

I can see where that would be irritating as a consumer, but it's not uncommon.

Is it now a requirement that the entire contents of a product be visible? What if you couldn't see any of the contents? This packaging is misleading, but what next? A box of candy has to be translucent so you can see how many are actually in the box?

Lego in particular does a very good job using over sized boxes and imagery to make it look like you're getting more than you actually do.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Senior Minion

No question about it, that box is classic deceptive packaging. The box is more than 50% air -- which fact is conveniently covered by the artwork. "Fillers" and oversize packaging that disguise the fillers are common techniques of false advertising.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Banned User

It may feel deceptive but if it contains what the packaging said it would contain, then it was honest. If anything it contains all of that plus storage compartments.

Normally I side with the defrauded consumer because no one likes a cheat, except what was advertised here was honest so.... you know, get over it. ....or show your kid that in this self-entitled society you should be able to sue anyone if you find yourself disappointed. .....at the clearly printed truth on the cover of the box you're looking right at.

---------- Post added 11-19-2012 at 11:31 AM ----------

Come to think of it, if we're going to go there let's sue every snack food that has air in their bags.

Oh wait...

Product Packaging: Consumer Reports Investigates

• will-o-the-whip

This is classic deceptive advertising, the shape and placement of imagery on the box is designed to fool, and the courts are especially protective when it comes to children's products since they are an unsophisticated audience.
    Here's another example with an inflatable water toy that specifies it dimensions, but the imagery on the box is clearly intended to deceive:

How Photoshop Ruined This Poor Girl's Summer

•   
    • Banned User

Well now I see that one completely different. The beads mentioned above are the size they appear to be through the window, and it includes all the bits it said it would. There's no lie there.

But this thing you just posted, about the waterslide? Yeah, that's just total BS. That's deceptive photoshop to shamelessly fool people into expecting one thing but getting another. I'm in total agreement about THAT being fraud.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I'm sorry but I fail to see where the deception was...

The unopened box:
    Name:  princess_cover_t620.JPG
Size:  68.4 KB

The opened box:

Name:  princess_inside_t620.JPG
Size:  66.3 KB

Its like Walt Disney World
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    This is classic deceptive advertising, the shape and placement of imagery on the box is designed to fool, and the courts are especially protective when it comes to children's products since they are an unsophisticated audience.
    Here's another example with an inflatable water toy that specifies it dimensions, but the imagery on the box is clearly intended to deceive:

How Photoshop Ruined This Poor Girl's Summer
    Clearly...this and this:

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  71.4 KB

Are photoshopped. I mean in the picture above...the box pictured pool looks at least a foot longer than the actual pool!
    Last edited by clara; 11-21-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast