• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

George Kalogridis to Move to WDW, Micheal Colglazier to Take Over Disneyland

It's official folks, after months of rumors from Al Lutz, Dusty Sage and Kevin Yee, Disney has finally announced some major changes to theme park operations.

Effective February 1st, George Kalogridis (beloved Disneyland President) will take over the entire Disney World Resort. Current head of Disney's Animal Kingdom, Micheal Colglazier will become Disneyland President.

However, this does not mean that Meg Crofton is out. She is retaining her current role as President of all of Disney's US and French parks and resorts. At least for now. We would expect that George is being groomed to take over that role as well in the future.

What does all this mean, Al Lutz will fill you in on the back story very soon. However, we do know a few things.

This is great news for fans of the Disney World parks and resorts. George is a maintenance first sort of guy. He'll get the place cleaned up quickly. He also won't stand in the way of concepts and ideas to reinvigorate the parks. But what about Disneyland's future? We have a bit of experience with Micheal Colglazier from Animal Kingdom, and he is loved by the Cast Members there. That's a very good sign. He is well known to walk the park frequently and interact with guests and cast. Assuming he keeps up that strategy and doesn't become a puppet of the One Disney machine, he should be a very strong replacement for George. Though, it is always wise to be watchful and cautious in such considerations of new park Presidents. The proof will be in his actions.

As an aside, Disney has been extolling Colglazier's virtues by explaining that he has been involved in the planning for Animal Kingdom's upcoming Avatar Land. Unfortunately, this is likely to cause more concern than reassurance among well educated Disneyland fans. However, Colglazier isn't in any way responsible for the decision to bring Avatar to the parks, nor the decision on what attractions and concepts that land will encompass. Those were all decisions made at the very top (Iger and Staggs). It is unfortunate that Disney strapped that albatross around Micheal's neck, and we hope he won't be savaged for Disney's erroneous attribution.

If you are looking for a sign from me, I'm cautiously optimistic for both the Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. It's clear that Disney wants to fix Disney World, or at least address the grave concerns. That's a good thing and I am certain of George's capabilities. We'll wait and see on Micheal Colglazier but have good initial feelings. I'm receiving rave reviews of him from some cast members close to both Colglazier and MiceChat. So let's cross our fingers that this is a good thing.

UPDATE 1-10-13: Al Lutz has posted an article about the executive shakeup HERE

We'll folks, Disney's top park President is on his way to a resort in need of help. What are your thoughts? And what, if any, impressions do you have about Disneyland's newest President?
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-10-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Re: George Kalogridis to Move to WDW, Micheal Colglazier to Take Over Disneyland

While I am happy for George and feel he will help right whats wrong at Disneyworld . I am concerned for disneyland. Was Mary Niven given consideration would she be someone worthwhile? I just hope disneyland keeps its unique charm that makes it so.

Re: George Kalogridis to Move to WDW, Micheal Colglazier to Take Over Disneyland

I have to say I feel a little sad. Last spring when I booked our non refundable trip for 11 days in the parks, I had planned on buying an 8 day hopper.When all the changes occured with the hoppers,I e-mailed Mr.Kalogridis and voiced my displeasure.I never imagined in a million years that his assistant would track me down through our e-mail address,on file from a previous trip,I would assume.
    Who does that? WOW. I was completely blown away that he would make sure that my concerns were addressed.
    Good luck in Florida Mr.Kalogridis.They are lucky to have you!

• HYDRA

Well all good things come to an end,in a way
    glad to see that WDW is getting the help it needs,hope we are in good hands,but i know DLR will be safe
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Here's my 2 cents

I'm a cynic, Coligrazier is just gonna be Meg Crofton's toady
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I hated how George treated Cast Members. I was glad with what he did initially to the parks but he crapped on CM's way too much. Whenever he came out with a new policy that screwed over Cast Members, he put it in a memo at the end of day Friday. I'm not sorry to see him go.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite Disney Park in the US. I'm intrigued to see what he does. We shall see.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I wish George the best of luck. He's got his work cut out for him turning that place around. But if he can then I see a bright future for Walt Disney World.

Micheal Colglazier on the other hand I'm not so sure about. Disney's Animal Kingdom has a number of issues right now. The Everest and Dinosaur problems have been well documented. The Parks only Parade has been going just as long as Celebrate A Dream Come True. Are these not things he should have been pushing to see change during his time at Animal Kingdom.

1. Cautiously optimistic for sure. George has been like a B- in my book so if he can raise WDW to that level, they'll benefit from it.
    2. I highly doubt Colglazier has anything to do with such things as a new parade for DAK or fixing the Yeti - I think his position deals more with day to day operations of what's already there. But I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! AL Lutz better calm me down soon. Every time there is a shakeup I have a mental image of the new guy looking just like Paul Pressler. Are things after Cars Land opening going to go downhill again like after Indy??!!!??? What does this all mean?!?!!?

No offense, Dusty, but as someone who broke this story a month ago on another site, I'm wracking my brain trying to recall when either Al, Kevin or yourself ever suggested that George K was coming back to FL to replace Meg.

Not to get into a site vs. site pissing match because I enjoyed my time here before the discussion boards sorta died, but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. Or you just don't take it. Period.

That's all. Happy New Year. And best of luck with Colglazier, you'll probably need it!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Just to give Colglazier the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps Crofton didnt allow any of the presidents of the parks to really blossom or do anything . Even if they had the best of intentions... If he turned out to be Ed Grier who by all accounts was status quo at best , would that satisfy folks ? I hope Colglaziers restores CM moral and keeps Disneyland and California adventure in the highest standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
    I e-mailed Mr.Kalogridis and voiced my displeasure.I never imagined in a million years that his assistant would track me down through our e-mail address,on file from a previous trip,I would assume.
    Who does that? WOW. I was completely blown away that he would make sure that my concerns were addressed.
    Good luck in Florida Mr.Kalogridis.They are lucky to have you!

I believe those are Excellent Good New for Disneyland parks.
    George Kalogridis is a Greek-American as i have read on Wiki about him.

I am a Greek Cypriot and I am glad he is Greek :-)
    As "Susie63" said below is correct.

He likes to give a lot of Attention to detail and how he’ll do everything possible for guests.
    This is a BIG PLUS for Disney world. :-)

I wish him The Best of good Luck to his New presidency. :-)

Does someone knows George Kalogridis email or contact details?
    Message me Private.

Thank you.
    A Big Disney Fan!