• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Shareholders meeting

After owning shares with Disney for about 20 years since I was a teenager, I am finally presented with the opportunity to actually attend the shareholders meeting being that they are holding it in Phoenix. Best of all, it is a couple of blocks from my office. I know they are usually dry and full of investor related items.

My question is does Disney do anything "fun" or "Disney" for the presentations that day to make it worth attending? Just curious if anyone has gone before and what should I expect other than a bunch of investor related speeches.

Thanks.

Mike

• Under that tree again!

Re: Shareholders meeting

Honestly some interesting information can come out. Real news.

I've listened to some broadcast and it doesn't sounds "fun".

Some of them have been more fun then others. They usually have characters for meet and greets and during the conference they sometimes do presentations of upcoming movies and other things.

there is the occasional time when someone actually asks an interesting question during the Q&A section.

the times they had it in Anaheim they also passed out free Disneyland tickets. Two per shareholder

I knew they used to give away tickets years ago and was excited after I bought my first shares in 95 when Disney bought the Angels. But just my luck, every year since then they haven't held a meeting within 400 miles of me let alone in Anaheim to get free tickets.

I appreciate the responses.

Disney's shareholders meetings are nothing like other companies shareholders meetings. They usually "play" to the audience and try and pitch their latest offerings. We got to see exclusive footage for Cars about a year before it came out one year. It's also neat to see the "big wigs" up close and personal. Tom Staggs was always there and when I heard he was taking over Parks and Resorts a few years ago, I was glad because of seeing him at the shareholders meetings. He always came across as a good guy.
    I have been to about 3 or 4 of them and they are definitely worthwhile. I wouldn't travel very far for one, but if it's in your city I would DEFINITELY go.

• June 1963 I was hooked

If it's in town, do it! I got a souvenir pin at the San Antonio meeting.
    Come up with a hard hitting question or 2 for the q and a session.
    Iger announced the Marvel acquisition at our meeting, but I'm sure it
    was old news by then. I hadn't heard, cause I don't care about Marvel.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

D23 has an event in the Orpheum theater, shortly after the Stockholder meeting.

You do need to have a ticket for the Stockholder Meeting, here are the FAQ's:

Shareholder FAQs | The Walt Disney Company

Look at the 11th Question Down, Under "ANNUAL MEETING OF SHAREHOLDERS"
    It gives details about how a shareholder can request tickets. Each stockholder can request 2 tickets - no charge.

For the D23 Fanniversary in the afternoon, you do have to purchase a ticket, (there is a discount if you are a D-23 Member, but it doesn't look like they require you to be a member to purchase a ticket.)

Here is the D-23 Event Link: D23′s Disney Fanniversary Celebration 2013 « Disney D23

• Rock Star Minion

I think that anything shown or brought up at the annual meeting would be shown or brought up at the D23 Faniversary. Not as if the shareholder meeting is secret.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The Tomorrowland One

Anyone who's been to a meeting before... How strict are they on the no camera phones policy? Like just don't let them see it, or do they do like airport security and make you scan in/pat down? I'm flying into Phoenix for the day and would rather just use the light rail to get around than have to rent a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Anyone who's been to a meeting before... How strict are they on the no camera phones policy? Like just don't let them see it, or do they do like airport security and make you scan in/pat down? I'm flying into Phoenix for the day and would rather just use the light rail to get around than have to rent a car.
    You can definately do the light rail but plan on about an hour trip from the airport between the transfer to the main station on Washington and then the trip in. It should drop you off about 2 blocks away.

Renting a car might save you a few mins but would cost you in parking at one of the nearby structures.

Not sure what I can recommend for eating downtown. I work in downtown PHoenix and there isn't a must try or must do. Foccacia Fiorentino about two blocks east is pretty good for lunch pastas. Majerle's (as in Dan Majerle) sports bar fills that need. If anything, there is a new BBQ place my co workers and I found back by the airport. Not in a great part of town but OH SO GOOD!!!

I went a few years ago when it was in Oakland, Ca. they are very strict about cameras and recording devices. if I remember correctly they had metal detectors, I had to check my phone at the coat check room.

I went to one many years ago in Anaheim and got tickets for the park. we gave them away since we had multi-day tickets.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I went a few years ago when it was in Oakland, Ca. they are very strict about cameras and recording devices. if I remember correctly they had metal detectors, I had to check my phone at the coat check room.
    Bah. And the letter with the ticket says there will be no coat check at the venue, yet the venue says they have one...

Anyone else going? Looks like I may need to find a place to stash my stuff for 3 hours if they are as strict as they say they are. Would reallylike to not to have to rent a car just for that as any car rental I can find is more than my airfare was.

*edit* Well, got one for like 50% off. Guess that solves that. *edit*
    Last edited by Autopia; 02-27-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: See edit callout

The Walt Disney Company is really encouraging (nagging) people to vote. I got a notice in the mail today with a prepaid UPS next day return envelope for my ballot.

So how many wound up going to the meeting? I haven't had time to post much but should have thrown out a MiceChat meet and greet to see who was there.