Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Who should replace Iger in 2015?

(I wrote most of this on a thread in the Universal section and thought it would fit better here.)

Acquiring other properties is not an impressive cultural contribution,
    so I'm looking forward to the overpaid Bob Iger stepping down in 2015,
    unless he is replaced by former CFO Thomas Staggs. That would probably be a step down.
    Iger, like Eisner, has become both the CEO and chairman of Disney's board. Maybe Iger's goal is to let Staggs go down with his $800,000,000 MyMagic+ famcuff bracelets and then be seen as still the best one to run Disney for another 2-5 years. Among business academics this is known as "pulling a Leno."

I think that unless JL (below) is chosen, Universal's Steve Burke is the most qualified.
    It might cost a lot to get him to leave Universal, but he might be worth it.
    He's got guts & he likes to build great things.

So does Jeffrey Katzenberg. If he could sell his Dreamworks Animation (a great place to work!) to, say, Universal, he could be a great Disney CEO as a billionaire who probably wouldn't lead Disney just to enrich himself.

Or we could meld Matt Ouimet with my. . .

First choice: John Lasseter with Staggs as his #2 (his Roy, Sr./Frank Wells). And Staggs should be in charge of Lasseter's eating and exercise program. I want John Lasseter contributing to Disney for another 2 or 3 decades! Commenting on his health might seem rude, but
    1. He's not reading this, is he.
    2. Since I can't time travel to urge Walt to quit smoking, and
    since JL might be the most Walt-like person alive,
    this might be the closest I can come to saving Walt and his legacy.

The biggest reason to get out of the swamp created by Eisner's spawn is Disney World.
    Disney World hasn't seemed worthy of being called Walt Disney World since the Animal Kingdom opened in April of 1998. What was opened from October of 1971 through April of 1998 (in 26.5 years) was, in my opinion, ten times more impressive than what has opened at Disney World in the last 15 years.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-30-2013 at 12:00 AM.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Who should replace Iger in 2015?

Jay Rasulo, Jon Skipper, Ann Sweeny, Alan Horn or Tom Staggs.

It'll come from within from the big divisions.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Jay Rasulo, Jon Skipper, Ann Sweeny, Alan Horn or Tom [Thomas] Staggs.

It'll come from within from the big divisions.
    Michael Eisner and Frank Wells were outsiders.

Alan Horn would be better than Thomas Staggs, as would Kanye West, Snooki, or Mel Gibson, not that the latter three would be among my first 4 billion choices. Staggs' response to Rasulo's awful incoming Fantasyland was unacceptably moderate, even if it was a bit better. His monomaniacal implementation of his $800,000,000, MyMagic+, Famcuff bracelets shows a disconnect from potential WDW & D.land guests. He has poor taste and weak instincts. Example: he signed off on "Limited Time Magic."
    It is nice that he smiles a lot and eats healthy food.

Iger may want Staggs to be seen as not ready to run a company that makes a lot of its money from rides, sports and film; and so Iger may be kept around for 2-5 years beyond 2015 making 30 million or so a year.

So, Mr. Swamp E. Marsh, you think Jay Rasulo, Anne Sweeney, or Jon Skipper might replace Bob Iger in 2015?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-15-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Snooki has no "E," but Sweeney has 3

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Michael Eisner and Frank Wells were outsiders.
    At that time the company was on a downhill slide headed toward bankruptcy, so they shaked up the organization by bring in Eisner and letting him bring in friends.

Currently Disney is doing great so they will take someone from their money making divisions.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Refugee from a island

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    At that time the company was on a downhill slide headed toward bankruptcy, so they shaked up the organization by bring in Eisner and letting him bring in friends.

Currently Disney is doing great so they will take someone from their money making divisions.
    I think you might want to go back and double check the facts and figures. The company was struggling before Eisner/Wells came in, but, they were nowhere near bankruptcy. In fact, the takeover attempts happened because they were struggling but very cash rich. The plan of the corporate raiders was to buy Disney and break it into pieces.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Putting someone without relationships with Hollywood's directors / producers / talent would be a disaster for the Walt Disney Co. overall.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Bring Tony Baxter back to a full time role; this time as head hancho of the Walt Disney company. Also, add Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews as top company brass in order to help ensure movie industry connections, and to ensure that we get that long anticipated Mary Poppins ride at Disneyland. Chim chim cherie!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-18-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Bring Tony Baxter back to a full time role; this time as head hancho of the Walt Disney company. Also, add Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews as top company brass in order to help ensure movie industry connections, and to ensure that we get that long antici[pated Mary Poppins ride at Disneyland. Chim chim cherie!
    I think your idea would be a bad bad move

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    . . . add Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews as top company brass in order to help ensure movie industry connections. . .
    Because they're at the epicenter of Hollywood in 2013. Good call, Ride Warrior!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think your idea would be a bad bad move
    Perhaps, although some actors might make pretty good execs for a change. Why do non-entertainers almost always have to be in charge of the entertainment industry?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Because they're at the epicenter of Hollywood in 2013. Good call, Ride Warrior!
    Thanks jcruise, not only are Julie and Dick at the epicenter of the entertainment industry, they were/remain personal partners with Walt, his business ambition/savvy, creativity and ethic.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah, and "Oz" is going to win next year's BEST PICTURE at the Oscars

• Iron-Clad Allie

With or without Ocars, the technical aspects of the film come together quite cohesively and uniquely. Additionally, the storyline is touching, and chraterors ginormously appealing.

• Iron-Clad Allie

With or without Ocars, the technical aspects of the film come together quite cohesively and uniquely. Additionally, the storyline is touching, and chraterors ginormously appealing. It's a great film about the triumphs of good people, as well as a good film about great people. It's the merry o' land of oohs and Oz!

I think I've made it clear in the past that I would want John Lasseter to continue being the Creative Lead of the company, whilst a more business based executive taking over as CEO. However, I read an interesting article this morning suggesting that Iger may stay CEO slightly longer to bathe in the success of Shanghai Disneyland and Star Wars Episode VII. Even more intriguing is the fact that the article went on to name other media executives whose contracts expire around the same time as Igers. And who is on that list? Steve Burke! Whilst this could just be a routine contract expiry date, it is interesting that he may be open to lead the worlds largest media company - a position much greater than being in charge of media networks at Comcast.

Variety Article: Will Disney’s CEO Shuffle Stay on Course for 2015? | Variety

Variety is reporting that Iger may stay beyond 2015.

Will Disney’s CEO Shuffle Stay on Course for 2015? | Variety

Edit: Sorry, didn't see antem's post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast