Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What's Wrong With the WD Family Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    ...There's been NOTHING on the museum. You love Disney, you live in SoCal and you can be in SF in 40 minutes.....but you'd never know that! There are no news stories, no internet articles, nothing at all on the museum opening. Maybe that will change in two weeks but..... doubtful.
    -snip-
    Hope I get proved wrong on this, but it looks like something's going very very wrong in the execution or the marketing of it.
    Just noticed yesterday there was a banner ad for the museum at the top of the front page of SFGate.com. Of course I'm looking now and don't see any ads, but....

• I'm a fiddle player......

Just got back from the museum....it was GREAT!! I think once word of mouth spreads, the museum will get a good number of guests.

As a San Franciscan, I feel I also should address the fact that the Presidio is not the easiest place to get to without a car or a taxi - especially for a tourist. It is FAR removed from Downtown and not very close to Fisherman's Wharf either (where you will find the main concentrations of hotels). Also, the museum itself is fairly deep inside the park, at least a 15-20 minute walk from the nearest bus stop (after a ride that would take at least 30-45 minutes from Downtown). I would be interested to know if the various on/off bus tours will add a stop at the museum. I was there on friday afternoon and was also surprised at the light attendance (considering its Fleet Week here).

Having said that.... ITS FABULOUS!!!!!!! Better than I expected and completely immersive. The amount of Disneyana contained inside is staggering - from Walt's certificate of baptism to the most amazing model of Disneyland I have ever seen. Not to mention the actually design and flow of the place. It is Walt style storytelling at its best. GO!!!!!!!!

Personally I think the museum is in a great place, but then again I live only 20 minutes away and I used to work in the Presidio a few blocks away. However, I can see how it is out of the way, very unassuming on the outside, and mostly unadvertised, and this is what the CMs who I talked to noted. It is doing well on weekends. Enjoy it now, folks, before the word spreads and it gets packed.

We went to the museum and as far as I can see nothing is "wrong" with the place itself. The cafe is a little pricey and small high end selection. (nothing really kid friendly either), but my 11 year old and I spent over 3 hours there and did not see everything, nor read all the displays. So lots to do and see. Not it was competing with fleet week. So not much of a crowd, but I liked that. Also as it is in National park and a refurbed building , NOT prime downtown commercial real estate, it may not have to generate the sam levels of attendance as a commercial endeavor. As a aside. It may be better in the long run for the place. First, less abuse of the displays and interactive items. Second, the place feels intimate, like its almost your part of the family once you are inside.. The curtains are drawn, no outside intrusions, except for your beautiful view of the bay for the true life display. Third less crowded means less harried, pressured and rushed. The entrance guides always tell you take your time. but if too many people are there the experience suffers. It was just busy enough to let you know there was interest, but not so much to make you want to stay away.
    One of best museums I have ever been to and the best small one, and I have seem a lot from New York to LA and in 40 states.

I agree that this museum is geared toward adults. While I have seen children appreciating the museum, I've mostly just seen them there taking in the cartoons and the Disneyland model, and I think the parents probably thought it was more child-friendly. Nonetheless I think its a great place for both to visit, provided the parents can teach their kids about Walt himself. One really has to be into history; kids will find more interest in Galleries 5-9.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    I agree that this museum is geared toward adults. While I have seen children appreciating the museum, I've mostly just seen them there taking in the cartoons and the Disneyland model, and I think the parents probably thought it was more child-friendly. Nonetheless I think its a great place for both to visit, provided the parents can teach their kids about Walt himself. One really has to be into history; kids will find more interest in Galleries 5-9.
    I have always been one of those lucky kids who have loved history and I especially love Walt Disney. I haven't been to the musuem but I would love to go! I think I can talk my parents into a two day trip there in the summer or something. I think my parents would like the museum, but I'm almost 100% positive that my little sister would get bored out of her mind. She got bored out of her mind when we went on the Walk with Walt Tour at Disneyland while I was amazed by it. She doesn't have much interest in Walt Disney or history. I also know for a fact that all my friends would get really bored, they don't have a passion for Walt Disney and Disneyland like I do. I would definitely enjoy this museum and I look forward to going in the future
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Oh, and personally, I like it when museums aren't very crowded and they are quiet. You don't feel pressured and you can just stand there and take it all in
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Thankfully the timed-entry system ensures that people are spread out and it doesn't feel crowded. Glad you are very much into Walt and his history at such a young age!

The museum is a wonderful experience for anyone who loves and admires Walt Disney, the man, as opposed to Walt Disney, the corporation. Until two weeks ago, I was an employee of the Museum - it was a dream job; to be surrounded by the original art, film and recordings was a breathtaking experience.

The surprising thing to me was that the employees, almost to a man, really have no interest in Walt. For them, it is just a job. They don't seem to have the same work ethic, the same ideals, that Walt himself displayed. The front of the house was designed by people who truly got it, but the back of the house is run by truly terrible people. It was a heartbreaking time.

Quote Originally Posted by penngos View Post
    The museum is a wonderful experience for anyone who loves and admires Walt Disney, the man, as opposed to Walt Disney, the corporation. Until two weeks ago, I was an employee of the Museum - it was a dream job; to be surrounded by the original art, film and recordings was a breathtaking experience.

The surprising thing to me was that the employees, almost to a man, really have no interest in Walt. For them, it is just a job. They don't seem to have the same work ethic, the same ideals, that Walt himself displayed. The front of the house was designed by people who truly got it, but the back of the house is run by truly terrible people. It was a heartbreaking time.
    I agree to a slight extent. I've gotten to know many of the employees; they are mostly all courteous and friendly, and some do have knowledge of things Disney. However, I've found that the average micechatter will probably have much more knowledge about Walt, DL, etc., then the employees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12