Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's Wrong With the WD Family Museum?

Went online to see if there were any slots still available for opening day. Keep in mind that's less than two weeks from today.

Except two timeslots, everything's still open.

Given that they have 250 people an hour, that means they've sold about 500 tickets for OPENING DAY. Opening weekend is just as wide open, with two time slots "sold out" on Saturday, and no time slots sold out on Sunday.

Guess we don't need to worry about crowds. I mean, tens of thousands of people at D23 Expo is one thing not to sell out in advance .......but 500 tickets or so sold on one day for a brand-new museum?!

Where is the hype? Where is the buzz? Does anyone even know this exists?

What's wrong with the Walt Disney Family Museum?!?!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: What's Wrong With the WD Family Museum?

What's wrong? Possibly the very word "museum" Unless they have a traveling exhibit from the tomb of a dead king, museums and sell-out crowds usually don't go together. And sadly enough, the name makes it sound a bit dry and dull to anyone who isn't a real Disney fanatic.

But if it's true that ticket sales are that lackluster, then that's rather sad and probably means a short life for the museum.

I haven't really looked into going yet. I'm surprised. I thought it would be mobbed and had not planned to go until late in the year or early next year. maybe I will visit sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I haven't really looked into going yet. I'm surprised. I thought it would be mobbed and had not planned to go until late in the year or early next year. maybe I will visit sooner.
    Yeah, looks like you could visit at 11 a.m. on opening day!

• Just another Disney fan..

I think possibly people who would normally have traveled to go to the musem, instead opted to go to D23 Expo. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to devote their time off and travel to multiple Disney events around the country or world.

Agreed, but ....shouldn't they be marketing to Californians and San Franciscans? There's been NOTHING on the museum. You love Disney, you live in SoCal and you can be in SF in 40 minutes.....but you'd never know that! There are no news stories, no internet articles, nothing at all on the museum opening. Maybe that will change in two weeks but..... doubtful. Do a Google Search. Pretty much all I have been able to find is a small AP item and a MALAYSIAN news release. Huh? Is Malaysia a big Disney tourist market that I'm not aware of?

This thing seems horrendously botched. Where's the excitement? Where's the sense of anticipation? Where's the artistry and the magic? This IS Walt Disney we're talking about, right?

Hope I get proved wrong on this, but it looks like something's going very very wrong in the execution or the marketing of it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Agreed, but ....shouldn't they be marketing to Californians and San Franciscans? There's been NOTHING on the museum. You love Disney, you live in SoCal and you can be in SF in 40 minutes.....but you'd never know that! There are no news stories, no internet articles, nothing at all on the museum opening. Maybe that will change in two weeks but..... doubtful. Do a Google Search. Pretty much all I have been able to find is a small AP item and a MALAYSIAN news release. Huh? Is Malaysia a big Disney tourist market that I'm not aware of?

This thing seems horrendously botched. Where's the excitement? Where's the sense of anticipation? Where's the artistry and the magic? This IS Walt Disney we're talking about, right?

Hope I get proved wrong on this, but it looks like something's going very very wrong in the execution or the marketing of it.
    Maybe you're looking in the wrong places?

Take the Walt Disney Concert Hall for example. That has nothing to do with the Walt Disney Company. It was named after Walt due to the large endowment Lillian made towards its construction. If you Google search "Walt Disney Concert Hall" you will find all sorts of things regarding its archetecture and Frank Gehry and such, and you will find all sorts of information about the Los Angeles Philharmonic. But little if any of what you find will have anything related to the Walt Disney Company itself.

My guess is that this is a family museum and has nothing to do with the Walt Disney Company. So maybe there is some excitment out there, it's just not coming from within the Walt Disney Company.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

There are no news stories, no internet articles, nothing at all on the museum opening. Maybe that will change in two weeks but..... doubtful. Do a Google Search. Pretty much all I have been able to find is a small AP item and a MALAYSIAN news release.
    Check out our own NEWS thread, it includes a number of articles from various media outlets on the WDFM:

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1144...ly-museum.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• DTL= Disney Thug Love

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    What's wrong? Possibly the very word "museum" Unless they have a traveling exhibit from the tomb of a dead king, museums and sell-out crowds usually don't go together. And sadly enough, the name makes it sound a bit dry and dull to anyone who isn't a real Disney fanatic.
    Walt Disney Family Studio! The tomb of a dead king!

Has a nice ring to it.
    DTL

• Pilot EdForceOne

well you ARE asking about Opening Day. Are we supposed to be surprised something gets abnormally high attention on opening day?

I wouldn't say 'whats wrong' - I'd thank them for sticking to their capacity limits so people can actually enjoy themselves.

Go the following week, etc if you can't get in on opening day.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• time to go

Basically, it's the wrong time of year. Tourism in San Francisco peaks in the summer, and tapers off dramatically after Labor Day. Early October is typically light for visitors, which is why the other museums such as deYoung and the Science Academy are offering special deals for their members now, such as cheaper tickets for King Tut (deYoung) and members only nights at the Academy.

Plus, the first weekend in October will be lighter-than-usual for out-of-town visitors, since the following week and weekend will play host to the President's Cup Tournament at Harding Park Golf Course near SFSU. That event will attract tens of thousands of visitors, who might decide to see the museum during the week. But they won't be around during the museum's opening weekend.

If WDFM had opened during the summer, this scenario of light attendance on opening weekend wouldn't exist. As it is, the Foundation was wise in opening after Labor Day, when the crowds would be greatly reduced as they work through their "learning curve" on day-to-day operations.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Check out our own NEWS thread, it includes a number of articles from various media outlets on the WDFM:

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1144...ly-museum.html
    A few.

But hardly what you'd expect from something that has "Disney" in its name. Based on what I can see, they've pre-sold about 750 tickets for opening weekend, out of about 18,000 available. (Just going based on their information about timed entry, the number of visitors per hour and the number of time slots available.) That's like 4% pre-sold. That's pretty awful. I hope it does well.

I've seen articles about it in the local papers, and my tivo has a special about it set to record next week. I've also seen banners hanging from the streetlights in the city, especially near where I work(about a mile from the museum). I wouldn't be too worried about it not selling out yet. I've talked to multiple people at work who know about it and plan on going. Its a museum too, from my experience(i love museums!) people aren't accustomed to advanced timed entry tickets. give it time, and word of mouth.

• Planning my next trip

Also have to remember they are having a preview this weekend for members of the museum (and CPHS and D23). This event "sold out" VERY fast.

Red Face Re: What's Wrong With the WD Family Museum?

Really? I tried to buy tickets last month for Opening day and they were all sold out. Earliest I could get was Oct 6. They have had some serious trouble with the site. It crashed big time when the D23 tickets were given away. Maybe ABC will start some hipe as the opening gets closer. Anyway, Fewer people will mean better access and more time to see everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast