Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Special July Events

I have extra tickets for event on July 16, July 17 and July 18 at the Disney Museum in San Francisco. E me back if interested.

• Space King

Does anyone have an extra ticket for todays event? Need one for the wife..Please! Would love to go! Thank you!

• Shifting cargo

I just got back from the event. I went with several people but we didn't have tickets for the event, and we just wanted to meet and chat with Tony Baxter for a little bit, so we waited outside. We not only got pictures with him, but an extremely nice woman got us into the event after it was done and let us get in line to get signatures!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Great event today. Marty Sklar moderated a panel with Jack Lindquist, Tony Baxter and Matt Ouimet. Two hours went by very quickly!

Diane and Ron Miller in attendance.

Marty Sklar was the person who put the weekend's activities together for the Walt Disney Family Museum.

Highlights:

Jack Lindquist prefers Fantasmic! over WOC.

Marty asked the panel about their failures:
    Tony Baxter says Rocket Rods one of his biggest failures! Talked a little about it. 2/3 of the budget vanished when GM pulled out of sponsorship. Tires only lasted about 1000 miles of wear. Happy to put it down!
    Matt talks about the early struggles of the Disney Cruise Line
    Jack talks about a community promotion from the late 50's - 216 people come!

Lots of love for Castmember Matt; great to see him.

The panel and Marty were joined by Dick Nunis to great people attending and sign autographs and chat briefly. All I can say they they are all class acts!

Great day
    The Mur

• Shifting cargo

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Great event today. Marty Sklar moderated a panel with Jack Lindquist, Tony Baxter and Matt Ouimet. Two hours went by very quickly!

Diane and Ron Miller in attendance.

Marty Sklar was the person who put the weekend's activities together for the Walt Disney Family Museum.

Highlights:

Jack Lindquist prefers Fantasmic! over WOC.

Marty asked the panel about their failures:
    Tony Baxter says Rocket Rods one of his biggest failures! Talked a little about it. 2/3 of the budget vanished when GM pulled out of sponsorship. Tires only lasted about 1000 miles of wear. Happy to put it down!
    Matt talks about the early struggles of the Disney Cruise Line
    Jack talks about a community promotion from the late 50's - 216 people come!

Lots of love for Castmember Matt; great to see him.

The panel and Marty were joined by Dick Nunis to great people attending and sign autographs and chat briefly. All I can say they they are all class acts!

Great day
    I'm extremely jealous that you actually got tickets to the event that sold out in a matter of hours. I must have seen you sometime today though.

I was luck enough to get a picture with Tony as he made his way to the event.

I also got autographs from Marty Sklar, Jack Lindquist, Tony Baxter, Dick Nunis, and Matt Ouimet (who winked at me).

Tony and Marty's wonderful scribbles.

Jack, Dick, and Matt's signatures on my WDFM ticket.

I also got a pin in the gift shop that is retired and is only one of 300 that were made.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Absolutely!

Friday's event was good, too, although it was somewhat painful to see Buzz Price struggle to formulate his answers because of cognitive difficulties. (It was cool, however, how he could laugh and joke about it with everyone.) I learned plenty that night about Buzz's work at Stanford Research Institute regarding the feasibility studies he did for Walt for DL's location.

But regarding yesterday's event... themur... you forgot to mention one of the funniest incidents, when Jack unwittingly folded Tony's pristine block of "Gift Giver Extraordinaire" gate admissions from the 30th birthday celebration in 1985.

The look of horror on Tony's face as Jack was talking and mindlessly folding the block of tickets along their perforation into a smaller rectangle was classic! And then Tony's comment when he gently took them out of Jack's hands and stared down at them in disbelief: "Well... they used to be mint."

My heart really goes out to him for what Jack did, even though Jack obviously didn't mean to harm the tickets. Tony acquired them from Bruce Gordon's estate of collectibles, and clearly took very good care of them, as Bruce had done. Such a perfect, pristine block of tickets without any bends along the perforation lines, only to be made less pristine in about 30 seconds by Jack Lindquist. Oh, the humanity of it all!

Another excellent event at the WDFM!
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

The Sunday Event.

What a treat it was to see Marty Sklar and Dick Nunis on stage today. Kudos to whomever pulled that off! They are both amazing storytellers.

But the bizare element of the event was the clear differences between the culture of the original WED designers and the current WDI team.

Both of the current members of WDI were charming, entertaining, very quick on their feet. I would no doubt love to talk with them at a party. But it was painfully clear that MBA-speak dominates WDI now--an operation that was once filled with art directors and ex-animators, with Roy's business people relagated mostly to a couple floors at the studio. In today's presentation, the younger WDI crew repeastedly called rides and shows "our quality product." Guests were not interested in stories or adventures: they were interested "our brand." Various magic kingdoms and overseas Disneylands were repeatedly called "castle parks." With this, it was very clear that experience had been comodomized to the point that WDI is focused on delivering an intangeable good or a service--which is a long way from how Walt visualized the role of Disneyland. I think this may explain some of the soulful emptiness of recent projects. The paradigm shift is significant. When you create a "quality product" it doesn't need to have heart or even deep inspiration. When you create an adventure, it does need to have these things.

Anyway, I don't mean to detract from the presentation. It was interesting. A truly wonderful weekend!!!! I'm delighted that Marty and the museum put this together. For me, though, I'm just sad to see the company culture move so far away from what--at least from books--I understand as the type of culture Walt cultivated at WED.

• time to go

Thanks for the update on Sunday's event, disneylandtour.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    What a treat it was to see Marty Sklar and Dick Nunis on stage today. Kudos to whomever pulled that off! They are both amazing storytellers.
    They both sat in front of me at Friday's event, along with their wives. It was very cool to hear folks come up to Marty and Dick and thank them for all they did for Disneyland.

But the bizare element of the event was the clear differences between the culture of the original WED designers and the current WDI team.
    This is why I deliberately did not purchase tickets for Sunday's event, when WDFM members were first told about this weekend. I knew that Craig and Bruce were going to present slick and finely tuned park promotions dripping with marketing-speak. I've heard it before, and don't care to hear it again.

You're absolutely correct, disneylandtour, about the differences between the "old school" Imagineers and the new kids on the block. I thoroughly enjoyed the events on Friday and Saturday, because of those differences.

Old school Imagineers tell me stories.

New kid Imagineers sell me stories.

Unfortunately, the new kid Imagineers don't have the requisite decades of experience with the old school Disney to inherently know the difference.

I don't want to be given information about Disneyland or the other parks as if I were an investor. I want to relate to the info as I relate to the parks themselves... as an active participant, as a fan, as a regular guest. I'm not a business manager. I'm the long-term customer. But you'd never know that from the recent presentations that the new kid Imagineers have been giving.

Anyway, I don't mean to detract from the presentation. It was interesting. A truly wonderful weekend!!!! I'm delighted that Marty and the museum put this together. For me, though, I'm just sad to see the company culture move so far away from what--at least from books--I understand as the type of culture Walt cultivated at WED.
    Agreed. It is truly sad.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Didn't get any of the special event tickets, but went that Friday to check it out anyway since it was my first visit to the museum. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's so interactive, colorful, clean, and gives me a much deeper appreciation for Walt, his family and friends who made everything possible.

I watched about an hour of the live telecast of opening day that they were showing in the theater throughout the day. It was fun hearing people laugh and go "aww" at the funny and cute moments. It was a lot of fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12