Walt Disney Family Museum in SF!

I just got home from the museum and I have no words! It was absolutely amazing!!! I literally had tears going through the museum. There is such history, it's absolutely indescribable!

They don't allow cameras of any kind, or I would have posted pics, but honestly, I wouldn't want to ruin it by showing pics.

Has anyone gone? What did you think?

• Seeker of Fun

Re: Walt Disney Family Museum in SF!

I've been debating going down there next week...is there plenty to look at?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

I'll be there at the end of next week...never been to the bay area. Should be amazing.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

We stayed 3.5 hours but we were sort of rushing through, I had a 14 month with me. It's is basically his whole life, every academy award, every movie he made, lots of home movies. We didnt even visit the theater. I will just say that there is a special something on display from Walt's LA home that was very publically popular. And it is there...the real deal.

• Missing my AP

I've been wanting to go since before it was open but I wont go until I can ditch the kids. At $20 a ticket, I want to take my time to take it all in.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• Shablagoo!

The museum is terrific. It has that old school Disneyland feel to it with incredible CMs and theming.

•   
    • Minion

I have been a handful of times. I think it;s great. there is actually a forum for the museum not much action but worth checking out.

Walt Disney Family Museum

• SUPERlurker

As a person who went in solo (aside from my friend who had gone several time already), I can say that it was definitely an enriching experience.

The amount of history and work put into all the exhibits was outstanding and kept me focused the entire time in the museum (and I stayed for I believe.. 6-8 hours? can't remember at the moment).

Word of caution, there is a LOT of reading involved so kids may get a tad antsy going from room to room. There are definitely things for them to do at the museum, but it's really meant for those who take great interest in Disney's history and legacy.

To sum it up - there is PLENTY to look at!

• The Prince

I've been wanting to go to the museum. I haven't gone to SF in years. I like history especially when it's about the Walt Disney family. I'd love to go someday when ever I get the opportunity.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemickey View Post
    I just got home from the museum and I have no words! It was absolutely amazing!!! I literally had tears going through the museum. There is such history, it's absolutely indescribable!

They don't allow cameras of any kind, or I would have posted pics, but honestly, I wouldn't want to ruin it by showing pics.

Has anyone gone? What did you think?
    I really want to go.
    If I ever make my way up to SF, it will def be on my list.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Seeker of Fun

Thanks for the information...I'm only a couple hours away, so it sounds like a fun trip.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• ...my first visit to DL

A friend and I went about a year ago and I agree, it's an incredible experience - there's a tremendous amount of personal and creative history and probably more than you can take in on one visit, especially if you take time to explore everything. We allowed ourselves two hours and were there over four - and they kicked us out because they were closing. We spent so much time looking at the "Walt Disney's Disneyland" model that we had to rush through the rest of the museum.

Very definitely worth the time and the price - and the views of the Golden Gate Bridge are spectacular.

• D'land Visitor since '57

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemickey View Post
    We stayed 3.5 hours but we were sort of rushing through, ...
    We were there once and LOVED it. Can't wait to return to see everything that we missed. We spent over 4 hours there ... took in a lot of the detail in the early rooms, but then rushed through much of the downstairs part because of time constraints. Next time I will definitely plan on six hours for the museum, perhaps with a break in the middle for lunch. It is definitely worth seeing.

Note: I agree with others who recommend that this is not for younger kids. Wait to take them until they are a littel older.
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

• Refugee from a island

The Walt Disney Family Museum is an incredible experience. I go up about once or twice a month for the special presentations in the theater or SEH. I go through the galleries every couple of months, because the Director of Collections is very good at trying to keep things fresh, and he rotates in new exhibit material as often as possible. If you can only go once, I recommend allowing 4 to 6 hours minimum, depending on how fast you read. If you are close to SF, I'd recommend a membership, then you can go in as often as you want.

One warning... If you are a real big Walt fan - I am - watch out for Gallery 10. I never get through that one without tears.