• Dreamer

Stockton, CA..350 mi away from DLR but that never stops us!

Question Calendar question

Is there any other ways to find out what is going on at least a month ahead of time? The calendar section of their site doesnt seem to be updated until the month has started. My family and I would like to go but would like to go when theres an event. We live only about an hour and a half from the WDFM.
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

• Refugee from a island

Re: Calendar question

Quote Originally Posted by cpuJesse View Post
    Is there any other ways to find out what is going on at least a month ahead of time? The calendar section of their site doesnt seem to be updated until the month has started. My family and I would like to go but would like to go when theres an event. We live only about an hour and a half from the WDFM.
    The calendar is now updated through December. I'm a Museum Member, so I get email blasts of upcoming events, you could try that, or find a friend who'd forward those emails to you.

Over the last two years, I've found that they normally update the calendar for next quarter toward the end of the current quarter. I suspect with the old director leaving, and the new director scheduled to start next month, there has been a bit of a vacuum in day-to-day operations lately. I think that's going to change soon. Look for the calendar to be updated for Jan, Feb, and Mar at the end of December.

How this helps.

I heard that because of it's location the area may need to have the power shut off. And that the warning to the WDFM is about 90 days. That is why they don't announce events further than 90 days out. I think I heard this on Moustalgia.

• Refugee from a island

I had not heard that one. But, with all the construction going on there, all the other barracks north of the Museum along Montgomery are being refurbed, and the Doyle Drive project, I wouldn't be surprised that there may be some power issues.

However, my understanding was that presenter schedules are a bit fluid and they can't confirm anything more than about 90 days out. So, instead of making an earlier announcement and having to possibly disappoint the guest, they wait until they have a better feeling that the event will happen. In all the presentations I've attended, I can only thing of one that had to be cancelled. So, I think they're doing a pretty good job.

BTW, with the Museum's new CEO starting soon, I like to say Hello and Welcome to Gabriella C. Calicchio. I'm looking forward to the start of your tenure leading the Museum staff.