Page 2 of 603 FirstFirst 12345122752102502 ... LastLast

•   
    • Seasick

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

How many actors ever appear as a character like Depp does? I think that speaks to how much he truly enjoys the character, which shows in the performance.

I thought the second one had some issues, but loved the third film. I'm delighted there will be another, and hopefully the change in director will be okay.

And I second the need to bring back Barbossa. He's great and does not get enough credit.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Disneyland Enthusiasts

not sure if anyone saw the photos of Johnny Depp walking around downtown San Diego during the Comic Con. He was dressed in a furry squirrel costume, so that he could get around unnoticed. speaks a little about the sense of humor he has about himself.

he took the Seth Green/Rosario Dawson costume thing a step further.
    http://findingmickey.com
    the hidden mickeys and details of disneyland resort

• Future Cast Member

Odd title, but the video was cool, and I'm excited! I love all the movies! I'm sad that Orlando Bloom isn't coming back, though. And Keira Knightley. I'm on the fence with this one, because the movie just won't be the same without them.

I really cant wait for this movie. The trilogy so far has been amazing

• Circle of Ancients

I'm actually excited about the movie for a couple of reasons:

- New Director (yay)
    - No Orlando/Keira (their story ran it's course)
    - Possibility of Geoffrey Rush being in it too!!! (yay)

The first movie was great, the second movie was okay, but the third one was a big turd. I hope they return to form on the fourth effort.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I think that they will change the direction from that of the second and third movies after the less than positive reviews. I will thuroughly miss Mrs. and Mr. Turner though. As stated previously though, they really did drive those characters into an alley.

...I love the idea of Pirates, and I love the first movie, but I confess I'm getting tired of this series. :/ I just don't see why it deserves so many movies....
    According to Box Office Mojo, the Pirates franchise accounts for three of Disney's five highest domestic grossing films. That gives Iger over a billion reasons to greenlight a new movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RLS Legacy View Post
    According to Box Office Mojo, the Pirates franchise accounts for three of Disney's five highest domestic grossing films. That gives Iger over a billion reasons to greenlight a new movie.
    True. And in the eyes of business people, what's more important? Movies with plots, or movies that make money?

Lol. Just having some fun at Pirates' expense. I'm really not all that against it.

"Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?"
    "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
    "I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing basically."

Not a bad title! Coulda been POTC: On Golden Pond!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

~~jumps up and down~~ Goodie, goodie, goodie!

Thanks Barbossa for showing the video. That was awesome. It's great Johnny does stuff like that.

Strange title...but, I'm excited to see it. A little leery since it will be a different director...but, it's POTC....so, it can't be all bad.

At least, I hope not. I can always focus on Johnny and block out the rest.

• Minion

Not sure if there is any connection... but there already is a pirate book with this title. Perhaps not coincidentally, part of the plot involves the fountain of youth.

This is from Amazon.

"From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. World Fantasy Award–winner Powers (Three Days to Never) demonstrates a precise control of complex narratives in this reprint of his rollicking and enchanting 1987 novel. Puppeteer John Chandagnac, bound for Jamaica to recover stolen money from his uncle, becomes Jack Shandy after pirates attack his ship and force him to join their crew. Shandy's struggle to accept his new life grounds the story for readers, even as Blackbeard and vodun magicians whisk everyone away to dreamlike lands where the Fountain of Youth itself awaits. The chaotic sea battles sing, though at times key events happen so quickly that they get lost in the shuffle as Jack tries to comprehend where he's going and what's at stake. This dark fantasy tale will appeal not just to pirate fans but also to anyone who appreciates Powers's talent for blending the most unlikely elements into a brilliantly cohesive whole. (Apr.)
    Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1596061677/ref=dp_proddesc_1?ie=UTF8&n=283155"]Hardcover[/ame] edition. "

• Directly directed

So excited! I LOVE pirates! And how I would have loved to see Capt. Jack in person!!!!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I loved the first three films and will be at the premiere again if it's at Disneyland! We're total POTC fans in our house.
    Some of the rumors on the web have been circulating for a few months, here are two about the plot:

"The 4th film in the series follows the exploits of Captain Jack Sparrow, who travels to the new world after the death of his puppeteer father to confront his uncle, who apparently has made off with the family inheritance. During the voyage, he gets to know a woman named Beth Hurwood and her father, an Oxford professor. Before they arrive, their ship is waylaid by pirates and, with the help of the professor and his assistant, the captain is killed and Sparrow is forced to join the pirate crew. There is, however, a sinister plot being concocted by the professor involving his dead wife, his living daughter and Blackbeard. Blackbeard and vodun magicians whisk everyone away to dreamlike lands where the Fountain of Youth itself awaits. Jack Sparrow must put a stop to these plans and save Beth Hurwood."

ok...obviously they'd need to make some changes to that storyline, it doesn't fit the previous films except for the fountain of youth reference.

another site:
    "That’s right, Pirates 4 will cast aside Will and Elizabeth to make it an all Jack Sparrow movie. That won’t be the only change Disney is planning to make when the series continues though. Our scooper says, “the ending of Pirates 3, the fountain of youth story might not be the only story they might used the next pirate’s film. The fountain story could used in another form to introduce the story for Pirates 4… the next film might be a departure from the same formula of the last three movies as well, meaning that Jerry Bruckheimer could be planning to enter the realm of Science Fiction this time around and it could be the heart of a new trilogy with Jack Sparrow and his crew of misfits. Some of the brainstorming going around involves some Jules Verne type of scenarios involving some pretty big flying machines, a man who wants to rule more than just the ocean, a encounter with the most famous and dangerous pirate of all, a race to get to a lost world (Hint, Hint) and Jack and his crew going to where no pirate has gone before (No, its not space but Disney had made animated movie about this place before with Michael J Fox voicing one of the characters).”

I have no idea if either of these has a grain of truth. Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio are supposed to be the screenwriters and they generally do a phenomenal job.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    How many actors ever appear as a character like Depp does? I think that speaks to how much he truly enjoys the character, which shows in the performance.

I thought the second one had some issues, but loved the third film. I'm delighted there will be another, and hopefully the change in director will be okay.

And I second the need to bring back Barbossa. He's great and does not get enough credit.
    My personal opinion on Depp - He's is without a doubt, one of the greatest actors. He is so versatile (Edward Scissorhands, Johnny Jung, Willy Wonka, Jack Sparrow, Mad Hatter, etc), and when you see him on screen, you don't see HIM, you see THE CHARACTER. And that's the amazing thing about him, HE disappears, and HIS CHARACTER emerges.
    The second film was simply just a "bridge" between the impressive first, and epic third. Hopefully the fourth will be just as good as the first.

Barbossa has gotten his credit, and he deserves a bit more than he's currently getting, but really, the fourth would be hard to explain without his presence there. Plus, won't it be cool to see Jack and Barbossa fight to get to the fountain of youth, with blackbeard tied in?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
  2. 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
  3. 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
  4. 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
  5. 10-28-2010, 05:52 AM
  6. 10-28-2010, 05:38 AM
  7. 10-28-2010, 05:16 AM
  8. 10-28-2010, 04:24 AM
  9. 10-28-2010, 01:54 AM
  10. 10-27-2010, 11:56 PM
  11. 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM