• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'The Lone Ranger'

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Dwight Yoakam is 'Lone Ranger' villain

Helena Bonham Carter, Barry Pepper
    also in talks for Disney tentpole

Yoakam out, Bill is in!!! It was announced yesterday that Dwight Yoakam has dropped out due to scheduling issues.

The great William Fichtner is replacing him. Great guy, great actor!

You've seen him in previous Jerry Bruckheimer productions, 'Armageddon' and 'Pearl Harbor', Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight' and on TV in 'Prison Break', 'Entourage' and most recently in the Academy's Funny or Die Oscars promo,"Off The Grid" with Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Josh Duhamel and Megan Fox.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Iron-Clad Allie

Wow! It's going to be a power-packed cast. Hi-o Silverscreen! Away!

One Kick-Buck Side Kick
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Infinitized!

Let's just hope when it gets closer to release time Disney will get their marketing campaigns right and we won't see "biggest flop of all time" threads on any message boards.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The masked vigilante is back in the saddle. After suspending production last summer over budgetary concerns, Walt Disney Studios started rolling the cameras on “The Lone Ranger,” starring Johnny Depp, in New Mexico this week.

“They’re doing studio soundstage work through March and then location work around the state after that,” said New Mexico Film Office director Nick Maniatis.

The film will shoot in Albuquerque Studios, in the Rio Puerco Valley, and near Silver City while in New Mexico. Filming will also take place in Arizona, Utah and Colorado, according to a statement from Disney.

The revival of "The Lone Ranger" comes at a welcome time for New Mexico, which saw a sharp falloff in film activity last year when the future of its tax incentive program was thrown into question (the state kept its 25% film tax rebate, but imposed a funding cap on the program). Sony Pictures Imageworks announced this week that it would close its visual effects unit in Albuquerque in part because of the decline in film production in the state.

A retelling of the popular 1950s television western series, "The Lone Ranger" stars Armie Hammer as the western hero and Depp as his Native American sidekick, Tonto. The movie is scheduled to be released in theaters on May 31, 2013.
    'The Lone Ranger' rides again in New Mexico - latimes.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Infinitized!

Aint it Cool has the first pic of Tonto and The Lone Ranger:Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.At least Johnny looks a helluva lot better in this than in Dark Shadows.From Jerry Bruckheimer's Twitter:
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 03-08-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Removed second/duplicate attached image.

• Bangarang!

Certainly not the look I was expecting, but I guess that's the whole point. They've got to make it look different.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Certainly not the look I was expecting, but I guess that's the whole point. They've got to make it look different.
    The Ranger's look is not bad, but I'm not sure about that crow/raven on Johnny's head.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    The Ranger's look is not bad, but I'm not sure about that crow/raven on Johnny's head.

I agree. I'm not liking it, not liking it one bit.... I can't specifically put my finger on exactly what it is, but... no sir... I don't like it.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Infinitized!

With the white hat, looks like the Ranger just made a visit to the Calgary Stampede.

• Banned User

Johnny Depp Receives Gifts from 'Star Struck' Navajo Visitors
    BY MICHAEL HAEDERLE
    Saturday April 14, 2012 11:40 AM EDT

Johnny Depp and Gayle Dine' Chacon
    Courtesy Gayle Dine' Chacon

A bare-chested Johnny Depp welcomed gift-bearing visitors from the Navajo Nation while filming The Lone Ranger in the remote Monument Valley on Thursday.

Dressed as Tonto, the actor shared the good will visit with Navajo president Ben Shelly and vice president Rex Lee Jim, who presented Depp and costar Armie Hammer with Pendleton blankets.

Despite brisk, windy conditions, Depp posed for pictures, although when he was presented with the thick wool blanket he flung off the poncho he had been wearing and wrapped the blanket around his shoulders.

"This is a good trade," he said.

Dr. Gayle Dine' Chacon, the nation's surgeon general, also presented Depp with a traditional leather warrior pouch, which was decorated with an arrowhead to symbolize protection.

And when she gave Hammer a tiny silver revolver tie tack set with a piece of turquoise, he reacted playfully.

"He took out his gun from his holster and put the little gun inside," she says.

Dine' Chacon, who is responsible for responding to public health problems among Navajos, admitted to being unexpectedly "star struck" after her encounter with Depp.

Courtesy Gayle Dine' Chacon

(more at link....)

Personally, I'm lovin' the look.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I hope the film ends up living up to the warm reception it is receiving from one of the peoples who have historically been portrayed in less than flattering light in American media.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, to those of us who grew up in "those thrilling days of yesteryear", the Lone Ranger and Tonto, still ride deep in our hearts... The memories of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels run mighty deep in the hearts of most of us who were around in those early days of television...and some are still around who fondly remember Brace Beemer and John Todd from the radio days. The legend of the Lone Ranger began, don't forget, way back in 1933...and for many of us, those thrilling stories of the Old West became an important part of our lives... We have some mighty fine memories...

And, I have to admit to bein' a huge fan who couldn't wait to hear the thundering hoofbeats of the great horse Silver...I still thrill to the very marrow of my bones at the first notes of the William Tell Overture...

Now, havin' watched most of those Lone Ranger adventures from the television years let me say that, to my way of thinking. Jay Silverheels has left a wonderful legacy and truly was a hero to millions of us...blazing new trails in our respect for the American Indian.

My concern is not only for the way Johnny Depp portrays Tonto...but the way the Ranger is portrayed as well. Do these young whippersnappers truly understand the things the Lone Ranger and Tonto stood for? Will they be faithful to the legend created on the radio so many years ago?

You know, there was a Lone Ranger movie that came out in the early '80's...one remembered as a complete disaster at the box office. Much of that was because of the way they had treated Clayton Moore before the movie even came out...they actually went to court to take away his mask! Clayton made a living doing personal appearances long after his days of ridin' the range...and he was greeted by huge, loyal, and enthusiastic crowds who believed Clayton Moore truly was THE Lone Ranger because of the way he lived both on and off the screen. In short, he believed in the character and all that it represented and he lived his life based on The Lone Ranger's Creed...

I wonder if these young whippersnappers today have ever heard of that? Do they know how important it is to the legend of the Lone Ranger and Tonto?

For those of you who may not remember...here is the Lone Ranger's Creed...

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That this government, of the people, by the people, for the people shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

Clayton Moore said, "That creed pretty much summed up my own convictions, too. I believed in the show and in the character and in all the things they stood for. I was awfully proud to be the Lone Ranger."

Well, Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels were role models for us folks who lived back in those days...
    they are fondly remembered for that...respected...loved.

The Lone Ranger shows weren't about gunfights and shoot-em ups...they were about standing for what is right...doing the right thing...believing in something...

If this new Lone Ranger movie respects the legend...it has possibilities. If it does not, it does not.

Do these young whippersnappers believe in truth, justice, and the American way...is it in their hearts?
    Do they understand what the Lone Ranger is truly all about?

Ahhh....I can hear that announcer's voice still...

"A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty Hi Oh Silver! The Lone Ranger rides again! With has faithful Indian companion, Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains led the fight for law and order in the early West. No where in the pages of history can one find a greater champion of justice.
    Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear...from out of the past come the thundering hoofbeats of the great horse Silver...the Lone Ranger Rides Again!"

Let's hope these young fellers understand the power of the legend...the power of the story they are gonna tell... Yep, the Lone Ranger and Tonto both still ride deep in the hearts of a good many of us...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Minion

Welllllll... yeah.... Clayton Moore was much beloved. As for living the life, that was great talk but not entirely true. My father-in-law was a huge fan as a boy, and went to a public appearance, his father had pulled some strings to get my Father-In-law a personal meeting... and he was so bummed because Mr. Moore, his hero, had showed up in a condition less than befitting that of the hero he played. I don't begrudge anyone a drink, or even the right to be drunk... but I don't expect actors that play superheroes to actually be superheroes. The legend was important, but the idea that Clayton Moore WAS the same guy as the Lone Ranger was a dreamy desire for fans and even Mr. Moore himself.

I guess what I'm saying is that I won't judge the new myth of the Lone Ranger against what I believe the actors are like in real life. I will only hope the myth on screen lives up to the myths of old.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I will only hope the myth on screen lives up to the myths of old.
    Howdy Pirate Lover 68,

Well, I sure agree with that last sentence of yours...

Ya know, if Disney was doin' this back in the days when Walt was still around we wouldn't have any worries whatsoever about that. Walt gave us the historic and legendary Davy Crockett...and every kid in America was wearin' a coonskin cap...

And, let's not forget, too, that Walt had his own mask wearin', horse-ridin' hero...a feller named Zorro.

Yep, Walt knew a thing or two about heroes... Twern't no doubt about that...

Some of us remember The Swamp Fox and Dr. Syn, The Scarecrow, and, well gosh, those fellers out thar on the Triple R, remember Spin and Marty?

Let's hope these fellers do remain loyal to the legend of the Lone Ranger and Tonto...it sure would be downright wonderful seein' 'em ride down the street in Frontierland the way Zorro once did...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.

I have two friends who are working as extras in the film. With it being directed by Gore Verbinski, I was sold even before I learned any other details.
    My friends are bound by an NDA and won't tell me a thing - at least not until they are finished working.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast