Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 'The Lone Ranger'

I happened across a piece of artwork that stunned me, because I'd seen it before.... in the photo a few posts back. But the artwork predates the photo, and the film production.

Here it is, and you'll see why I was so surprised when I saw it:

The artist is Kirby Sattler, and the name of this piece is "I Am Crow."

As you can see in this link to his website, Depp's makeup was directly inspired by the piece.

I think it's beautiful.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Wow. Thats quite interesting. Although I still think the look, looks much better on the actual Native American in the painting than on Johnny Depp. Then again, all we've seen are promo shots, so maybe when there are better pictures out or when we see the finished product I'll be more impressed.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

In the bits that I have read about Depp wanting to play Tonto versus the title role, it has never come across as cavalier, that he just wanted to play dress up. I think he has a genuine interest in the role and that his costume confused people is a good thing. There is something about "I am Crow" that I just find fascinating. That stare.

• Banned User

Johnny Depp’s Explanation of Tonto Costume Both Clarifies and Muddles

By ICTMN Staff
    April 25, 2012

Johnny Depp cites a painting by Kirby Sattler as his inspiration for Tonto's look.

When producer Jerry Bruckheimer first revealed Johnny Depp’s Tonto look for the upcoming film version of The Lone Ranger, in early March, many people were puzzled. The bird on the head, the white face paint, the black vertical lines, the bandanas, the bird on the head—Indian and non-Indian movie followers wondered whether they were looking at a colossal misfire of a costume or something incredibly authentic that had been all but forgotten.

The popular press latched on to one explanation, which was that Depp’s Tonto is a lot like his Pirates of the Caribbean character—The Guardian, for example, wondered aloud, “Has Captain Jack Sparrow got a crow perched on his head?”

(Over the weekend, People.com advanced a less plausible theory: that Tonto is based on Marilyn Manson. Moving on…)

Natives spotted the influence fairly quickly: a painting by an artist named Kirby Sattler. Depp’s Tonto look is almost an exact copy of it, in fact.

In a post at Native Appropriations, Adrienne K takes issue with Depp’s decisions. Kirby Sattler is a non-Native artist who, in a statement on his website, says that his paintings are meant to “satisfy my audience’s sensibilities of the subject without the constraints of having to adhere to historical accuracy.”

So the source material may not be constrained by accuracy. For some who like their entertainment to strive for authenticity—even if it’s fiction—this could be an issue. Yet there is a difference between the merely inauthentic and the totally made-up, and this is where Depp may have taken the real misstep. In an Entertainment Weekly story about the origins of his costume, Depp says, “It just so happened Sattler had painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior’s head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top. … I thought: Tonto’s got a bird on his head. It’s his spirit guide in a way. It’s dead to others, but it’s not dead to him. It’s very much alive.”

The most striking element of this costume, then, is not just weird-looking, it is also part of Tonto’s worldview. Will Tonto talk to the bird? Will the bird talk to Tonto? Will the Lone Ranger tell Tonto to stop listening to the bird? It all remains to be seen, but it’s a sure thing that Depp’s Tonto will be highly scrutinized in Indian country when the film comes out (May 13, 2013). Indians like a good popcorn movie as much as anyone else, and the film, as a work of fiction, will necessarily take some liberties with history. But Native audiences might be less forgiving of a portrayal that takes too many liberties with their spirituality.

• Banned User

Johnny Depp Adopted Into Comanche Nation

By ICTMN Staff
    May 21, 2012

Photo by Danielle Webster (AIO)

LaDonna Harris and Johnny Depp at the ceremony during which Depp was adopted by the Comanche Nation.

Actor Johnny Depp, who will play Tonto in the upcoming film version of The Lone Ranger, has been adopted by the Comanche Nation.

The character of Tonto, in this latest telling of the story, is said to be Comanche—a bit of information that LaDonna Harris, an esteemed Comanche who is president and founder of Americans for Indian Opportunity (AIO), found very interesting. “Johnny is reprising the historic role of Tonto, and it seemed like a natural fit to officially welcome him into our Comanche family,” Harris said, according to a release. “I reached out, and Johnny was very receptive to the idea. He seemed proud to receive the invitation, and we were honored that he so enthusiastically agreed.”

The traditional ceremony took place on May 16 at Harris’s home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Comanche Nation Chairman Johnny Wauqua was on hand, as were AIO’s staff and close family members. At the end of the ceremony, in accordance with tradition, Depp gave gifts to the attendees as a sign of gratitude.

“Welcoming Johnny into the family in the traditional way was so fitting,” Harris said. “He’s a very thoughtful human being, and throughout his life and career, he has exhibited traits that are aligned with the values and worldview that Indigenous peoples share.”

The Lone Ranger, which is currently filming, is being directed by Gore Verbinski and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, and is set for a May 31, 2013 release. The Depp-Verbinski-Bruckheimer team previously collaborated on three films in the Pirates of the Caribbean series.

From left: Honorable Johnny Wauqua, Comanche Nation Chairman; LaDonna Harris, President of Americans for Indian Opportunity;
    and actor Johnny Depp. Photo by Celli Crawford

• Banned User

First Footage of Johnny Depp’s Tonto Shown at San Diego Comic-Con

First Footage of Johnny Depp’s Tonto Shown at San Diego Comic-Con

By ICTMN Staff July 13, 2012

Yesterday, at the massive San Diego Comic Con (SDCC), Disney gave about 6,000 attendees a surprise early look at one of today’s most anticipated film projects—both within and outside of Indian country—The Lone Ranger, in which Johnny Depp plays the familiar Native sidekick Tonto to Armie Hammer’s Lone Ranger.

For American Indians, the fact that Depp is portraying a Native American in such a major movie has been a topic of fascination and much debate. From the reports out of SDCC, it seems, the footage will likely add fuel to the fire for those who aren’t happy with the situation. Depp reportedly had one line in the clip:

“There come a time, Kemosabe … when good man must wear mask.”

There has been much talk of a more sensitive and complex portrayal of Tonto; apparently, though, Tonto will speak in the same, well, Tonto-speak of all his previous incarnations.

For an on-the-scene reaction, there may be none better than that of Screencrush.com‘s Jordan Hoffman, who tweeted: “I dunno, Johnny Depp’s kinda Uncle Tomahawking it up with LONE RANGER”

Here are some more comments from the press on hand.

Entertainment Weekly: “Those looking for a darker take on The Lone Ranger will be pleased by the intense tone and focus on action over humor. Critics of Depp portraying a Native American may not like him dropping articles out of his speech, but others may have complained about if he didn’t. So that’s a break-even; there didn’t appear to be anything disrespectful about the voice that might provoke more complaints than the ones already out there.”

Associated Press: “The brief clip hinted at [Tonto's] craftiness, with one scene showing him riding beneath a speeding train.”

CinemaBlend.com: “Depp’s look as Tonto is just as strange as you think, and in one line of voiceover dialogue … he’s speaking in a kind of broken English that I’m sure has already made Native American groups furious (I’m willing to withhold judgment to see how it works out, though it still seems dicey).”

MovieTalk (Yahoo): “atop the plains we spy a beefy man in a black suit, black mask, and white hat. Our hero, Armie Hammer. Next to Armie’s Ranger stands his kemosabe Tonto, played with pageantry and poise by a shirtless Johnny Depp with a crow on his head. The dynamic duo getty-up after the train (sorry, no “Heigh Ho, Silver”). … Then we flash to Tonto somehow appearing underneath the train, looking like he’s ready to pounce. And boy do the fans in Hall H seem ready for Johnny to pounce.”

The Hollywood Reporter and Aceshowbiz.com have further insightful (though not Tonto-focused) information about the clip, which according to rumor may be posted online today.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: First Footage of Johnny Depp’s Tonto Shown at San Diego Comic-Con

Comic-Con 2012: 'Lone Ranger'
    Wows at Disney Presentation

The studio showed footage from "Oz: The Great and Powerful" and "Frankenweenie," but Gore Verbinski's Western stole the show.
    Disney showed off Oz, The Great and Powerful, Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie and the animated movie Wreck-It-Ralph, but it easily saved the best for last: a surprise look at The Lone Ranger. The footage was short and sweet: In a beautifully designed Old West, the train was the technological power. So he who controlled the trains controlled everything.

There were glimpses of Johnny Depp as Tonto, Armie Hammer as the masked cowboy, and plenty of visual stunners -- trains going off the rails, a bullet shot through the air in slo-mo, quick cuts of faces, set to a rock-style soundtrack. The reaction was immediate: Fans in Hall H traded “awesomes” with each other. (Some online commenters, however, already are describing it looking “overblown.” That might not be a surprise for a $250 million movie from Gore Verbinski, the filmmaker behind Pirates of the Caribbean.)
    Comic-Con 2012: 'Lone Ranger' Wows at Disney Presentation - The Hollywood Reporter

• Banned User

The Lone Ranger Shoot Update – And in Other News….

by Jerry Bruckheimer Films on July 19, 2012

Filming of The Lone Ranger has wrapped in Moab. We shot some great action and
    train sequences in the middle of the desert. The location was at least an hour drive from
    any hotel or airport down a long, windy, bumpy dirt road. Cast and crew had to make
    the trek everyday, but the footage we got was well worth it.

Weather issues were at a minimum but we did run into a few 100+ degree days. Shade
    was hard to come by, as
    tweeted by Jerry Bruckheimer himself.

I hope this does well, for my darling Armie Hammer's sake.

I've always liked The Lone Ranger--it was the only Western I ever really enjoyed. It wasn't the live-action version I cut my teeth on, but two animated versions--a cartoon from the sixties that had a rather steampunkish feel to it but a very interesting animation style (they ran it on TV during the seventies and I used to watch it when I was very little) and a version from Filmation in the early eighties with William Conrad voicing the Ranger. (This was at the height of the every-cartoon-must-have-an-educational-component kick, so every episode was tied in with some real historical person or event, with the Ranger explaining more about it for the tag. Not bad.) The animation was limited, but the writing was superb.

I hope even die-hard fans of the original will loosen up and give it a chance. Sometimes, reading comments on the one Lone Ranger board I sometimes visit, it seems that what some of them really want is for Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels to come back from the other side and do this movie, and that ain't happenin'.

• Infinitized!

Mania.com's got the trailer and poste!
    Lone Ranger Trailer and Poster - Mania.com
    Scroll down on that page a wee bit, it's just under the photos.

• Disneyland PAP

Here's the trailer.

I got nothing against Johnny Depp, and I get that this film is told from Tonto's point of view. But for a film titled The Lone Ranger, I was expecting to hear from the character it was actually named for too.

• Circle of Ancients

OMG this looks horrid.

• Disneyland PAP

^ This trailer further argues that this is not our grandfathers', let alone my, Lone Ranger. It's targeting Depp fans and an audience who never grew up on the radio serials and Clayton Moore. However, unlike Seth Rogan and his Green Hornet which I've continued to avoid, I'm still open to seeing what Verbanski's trying to sell me with his vision of the Masked Man.

• Banned User

Wow, looks terrific! Can't wait to see it! As for the trailer not revealing too much about the title character this early on....c'mon, gotta keep up the mystery, right? "Who was that Masked Man?"

Love the poster, too; nice work!

• Banned User

New Trailer was released a few days ago -

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast