Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Lone Ranger'

Last week there was word that Ryan Gosling was interested in the role but had a scheduling conflict for this and another film's start dates. And then...

'Social Network's' Armie Hammer

Eyes Title Role in 'Lone Ranger'

The actor, who played the Winklevoss twins in the
    Oscar-winning movie, would star opposite Johnny Depp
    in the Gore Verbinski-directed film.

Armie Hammer, who portrayed the Winklevoss Twins in the Oscar-winning The Social Network, is in talks to play the title character of Disney's The Lone Ranger.

No dealmaking has begun, but Hammer has met with director Gore Verbinski for the role. If all goes well, Hammer would star opposite Johnny Depp, who is playing the Lone Ranger's partner, Tonto.

Jerry Bruckheimer is producing the movie, which has been looking for a star to play the Western hero. Ryan Gosling is one of the actors who had circled the project in recent weeks.

Hammer, repped by WME, has had quite the ride since Social Network's awards circuit. He booked a role in J. Edgar, Clint Eastwood's biopic of notorious FBI head J. Edgar Hoover, and recently nabbed the role of the prince in Relativity's take on the Snow White fairy tale, The Brothers Grimm: Snow White. Lone Ranger would be his biggest role yet.
    'Social Network's' Armie Hammer Eyes Title Role in 'Lone Ranger' - Hollywood Reporter

11/10
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/14...ne-ranger.html
    Last edited by ALIASd; 05-10-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'The Lone Ranger'

‘Lone Ranger’: Masked man need not
    be a star, says Bruckheimer

The actor who will ride alongside Johnny Depp’s Tonto in “Lone Ranger” has big boots to fill, but he probably won’t be an established star, according to producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

“You want somebody who can do the humor and somebody who’s attractive and charismatic,” said Bruckheimer, of casting the iconic masked man in the upcoming Disney reboot. “But I think it will be somebody who’s not that well known. That’s my guess.”
    Bruckheimer and Verbinski will join forces again on “Lone Ranger,” which Verbinski has said will be "'Don Quixote' told from Sancho Panza's point of view."

“It’ll be kind of a dramedy,” Bruckheimer said of the western’s tone. “It’ll have a lot of fun to it. Johnny’s gonna create a really fascinating character like he did with Captain Jack. He’s got a real vision for it.”

“I think it’s time to bring the western back,” Bruckheimer said. “If we don’t do it, somebody else will. Don’t forget eight years ago the media was saying we were crazy to do a pirate movie, that they’d all failed and especially a pirate movie about a theme park ride. You can’t do that. And look what happened.”

‘Lone Ranger’: Masked man need not be a star, says Bruckheimer | Hero Complex – Los Angeles Times
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Banned User

Johnny Depp's 'Lone Ranger' Seeks To 'Reinvent' Tonto, Native American Treatment

Johnny Depp's 'Lone Ranger' Seeks To 'Reinvent' Tonto, Native American Treatment

As Johnny Depp's film adaptation of "The Lone Ranger," continues to seek out its masked cowboy, perhaps the job description is scaring some potential co-stars off: the titular character is actually going to be the sidekick.

Depp, who with his "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Rango" director Gore Verbinski is bringing the classic 1940's and 50's TV series about a western lawman and his Native American sidekick to the big screen, wants to change up the roles and give Native American Tonto the lead in the partnership. Set to play Tonto himself, Depp sees the film as an important step in remedying the way Native Americans were treated in classic TV and cinema.

"I remember watching it as a kid, with Jay Silverheels and Clayton Moore, and going: 'Why is the f--ing Lone Ranger telling Tonto what to do?'" Depp told Entertainment Weekly. "I liked Tonto, even at that tender age, and knew Tonto was getting the unpleasant end of the stick here. That's stuck with me. And when the idea came up [for the movie], I started thinking about Tonto and what could be done in my own small way try to -- 'eliminate' isn't possible -- but reinvent the relationship, to attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans, not only in The Lone Ranger, but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema, and turn it on its head."

For Depp, it's a personal mission: he says he's part Native American, and shudders to think about the treatment the tribes received as white settlers encroached on their lands.

There have been numerous rumored actors for the re-imagined Lone Ranger part; at one point, Ryan Gosling was said to be the frontrunner, though that now seems to not be happening. The latest development has "The Social Network" star Arie Hammer, who is currently filming "J. Edgar" with Clint Eastwood and just signed on for "The Brothers Grimm: Snow White," being on track to join Depp.

As for Depp, he'll have to be careful in this horseback riding-filled movie; he suffered a "monstrous" back injury while filming "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides."
    For more from Depp on his Native American history and his new "Lone Ranger" take, click over to Entertainment Weekly.

I say YES! And a thumbs-up to Mr. Depp.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'The Lone Ranger':
    Armie Hammer cast in title role,
    with Johnny Depp as Tonto

Johnny Depp has found his Lone Ranger.

Armie Hammer, the 24-year-old actor who portrayed the Winklevoss twins in last year’s The Social Network, will play the masked hero in Disney’s adaptation of The Lone Ranger, according to Hammer’s rep. Depp, who has said that he’s part Cherokee or Creek Indian, had already been cast as the title character’s Native American companion Tonto. Gore Verbinski, who directed Depp in Rango and the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies, will helm the film. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing the project, which Disney could release as early as next year.

Unlike in the iconic 1950s TV show, Depp’s Tonto will be more than the Lone Ranger’s mere sidekick.

“I remember watching [the show] as a kid and going: ‘Why is the f—ing Lone Ranger telling Tonto what to do?’” Depp previously told EW. “I knew Tonto was getting the unpleasant end of the stick here. When the idea came up [for the movie], I started thinking about Tonto and what could be done in my own small way try to reinvent the relationship, to attempt to take some of the ugliness thrown on the Native Americans — not only in The Lone Ranger, but the way Indians were treated throughout history of cinema — and turn it on its head.”

Hammer will next be seen in Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar as Clyde Tolson, the FBI official who some infer was romantically involved with FBI director J. Edgar Hoover (Leonardo DiCaprio). The biopic is scheduled for a December release.
    'The Lone Ranger': Armie Hammer cast in title role, with Johnny Depp as Tonto | Inside Movies | EW.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The film now has a December 21, 2012 release date

• Banned User

What are the DVD & Blu-Ray extras going to be? Have the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth sequels been green-lit yet? And when will those be written, made & released, and what will the DVD & Blu-Ray extras be on those? I'm especially interested in what happens in the fifth sequel. Any idea who's doing the audio commentary on it?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Dwight Yoakam is 'Lone Ranger' villain

Helena Bonham Carter, Barry Pepper
    also in talks for Disney tentpole

Dwight Yoakam, Barry Pepper, James Badge Dale and Helena Bonham Carter are in talks to join Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer's "Lone Ranger."

Gore Verbinski, who will direct the pair-up of Armie Hammer as the masked man and Johnny Depp as Tonto, is rounding up the rest of the cast for the actioner set to start lensing sometime this fall.

Tom Wilkinson and Ruth Wilson have already joined the project, which follows the Lone Ranger and Tonto as they look to take down the Cavendish gang after they attack the Texas Rangers.

Yoakam would play Butch Cavendish, leader of the Cavendish gang and the pic's primary villain, while Pepper would play Captain J. Fuller, the leader of the seventh cavalry.

Dale, best known for starring in "The Pacific" for HBO and AMC's "Rubicon, would play Dan Reid, the Lone Ranger's older brother and leader of the Texas Rangers.

Carter, who is currently lensing Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows," at WB, is still in early discussions -- but if a deal closes, she would play the colorful madam of a local brothel.

Yoakam is currently filming "Jayne Mansfield's Car," starring Billy Bob Thorton. Pepper was most recently seen in Paramount's "True Grit."

The "Lone Ranger" script was penned by "Pirates of the Caribbean"-franchise scribes Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, and Justin Haythe ("Revolutionary Road").
    Film is skedded for release Dec. 21, 2012.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Box Office Smackdown:

Brad Pitt's 'World War Z'
    to Open Against

Johnny Depp's 'Lone Ranger'

The zombie war film will be
    released on Dec. 21, 2012,
    one of four wide releases
    to open on that date.

The zombie war will begin on Dec. 21, 2012 and it could be a blood-letting at the box office.

Paramount has dated World War Z, which it describes as a geo-political thriller, to open four days before Christmas Day. The move puts the Bratt Pitt movie on a collision course with Disney’s The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer, as well as Fox’s Tobey Maguire drama Life of Pi. And it’s only a week after the release of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opens Dec. 14.

But the Christmas holiday has proven to be the most lucrative time of the year, with the market able to support multiple films.

World War Z, currently in production, is being directed by Marc Forster and adapts Max Brook’s novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. The movie stars Pitt, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale and Matthew Fox.

The studio says the “story revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself.”
    Last edited by ALIASd; 08-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.

• My prices are INSANE!

Uh oh!

The Lone Ranger might not happen.
    According to Deadline Hollywood Disney halted production due to the size of the Budget.

Shocker! Disney Halts Johnny Depp’s ‘The Lone Ranger’ – Deadline.com
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Minion

wait, with how much they make on the Pirates movies (more then 3.5 million) I think they can afford 232 million for a movie.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    wait, with how much they make on the Pirates movies (more then 3.5 million) I think they can afford 232 million for a movie.
    This decision might have to do with Cowboys and Aliens not doing well.
    Plus the swelling budget of the John Carter film now pushing 300 million.
    A lot of studios are pulling back on spending.

And do you really need to spend 230 million on a western?
    Unless the Lone Ranger is fighting aliens or something the bean counters just aren't going to sink that much into a western.

Stop by my website

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Disney penny pinchers look like they are crazy after a decision like this. Either they should have pulled out LONG ago on this project, or had the balls to move forward. Somehow, a zombies at christmas don't interest me nearly as much as a western. Disney Accountaneers much have missed seeing how well that little John Wayne remake did, or perhaps that westerns do have appeal over the years - Tombstone - anyone, and how about that movie "Dances with Wolves"? Even Back to the Future part 3 was mostly western.

Disney money counters quibbling about and attempting to cut 10 to 20% of the budget at this stage of the game, and after all hoopla and expenses, and BIG P.R. campaign already waged, would just be irresponsible. . . . .

or . . . . . . perhaps this it just , uh, ummm a reverse of a test balloon, perhaps it's a false "news story" put out, just in time to make some sort of HUGE announcement at the D23 Expo Next week?!?!??!?!?!

Imagine . . . . Disney announcing at D23 that The Lone Ranger movie WILL move forward, and then have Johnny Depp appear in his Tonto outfit, along with our NEW Lone Ranger!

• Infinitized!

What they should do is try and get Zorro back.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry View Post
    This decision might have to do with Cowboys and Aliens not doing well.
    Plus the swelling budget of the John Carter film now pushing 300 million.
    A lot of studios are pulling back on spending.

And do you really need to spend 230 million on a western?
    Unless the Lone Ranger is fighting aliens or something the bean counters just aren't going to sink that much into a western.
    Did you see how well True Grit did?
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Did you see how well True Grit did?
    Yes it did well.
    But the budget for that film was only 155 million.

According to reports the filmmakers were trying to reduce the film's cost from $250 million (some even say $275 million) down to $232 million.

If the budget can be scaled down then Disney will more than likely give it a green light.
    But because westerns aren't known for drawing big crowds in the past, Disney decided not to take the risk.

Actually it's more of a scare tactic to get producers to work within their means.
    But the flip side is that the film might not get made.

Stop by my website

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast