View Poll Results: What did you think of "John Carter"

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Amazing movie, everybody should see it now!!!

10 30.30%
  • 4 Stars - It was really good

13 39.39%
  • 3 Stars - It was ok, about as good as the Trailers made it look

4 12.12%
  • 2 Stars - Should have waited for Blu Ray

5 15.15%
  • 1 Star - Star Wars Episode II was better

1 3.03%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012

"I felt that if the actor was really there looking into the eyes of the other actor – the human one – you would sense it ... So we actually put the characters on stilts in motion-captured grey pyjamas with these helmets and cameras they used on Avatar pointing towards their faces. It was a very odd-looking set. You would have the actor really there, you would have these guys on stilts representing Tharks and you would have people in green gimpsuits making sure they didn't fall over and hurt themselves. Some days on the shoot I sat there and thought: 'What the hell am I doing?' But man did it pay off, and if we were to shoot another one tomorrow I would do exactly the same."

- Andrew Stanton

This certainly looks closer to the latter than the former mentioned.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

RSVP for a FREE advance screening of JOHN CARTER with Andrew Stanton on 2/27 at Los Angeles Times HERO COMPLEX screening series site

7:30PM AMC Burbank 16
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    RSVP for a FREE advance screening of JOHN CARTER with Andrew Stanton on 2/27 at Los Angeles Times HERO COMPLEX screening series site

7:30PM AMC Burbank 16
    How cool! I've seen various tv shows taped in Burbank and elsewhere in LA County. Even so, I never thought about seeing a movie screening there. Won't be able to attend this one, though I very much appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

If you attend, ALIASd, by all means please get back to us with a recap of the event!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney has held too-many-to-count advance screenings there (and especially at it's earlier incarnation) over the years, some cast & crew screenings too.

I'm confirmed so hope to make it over! Always a true treat to hear Andrew Stanton discuss his work. Out of all the Pixar Brain Trust, including Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Pete Doctor and even John Lasseter, he's the most open and engaging.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney has held too-many-to-count advance screenings there (and especially at it's earlier incarnation) over the years, some cast & crew screenings too.

I'm confirmed so hope to make it over! Always a true treat to hear Andrew Stanton discuss his work. Out of all the Pixar Brain Trust, including Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Pete Doctor and even John Lasseter, he's the most open and engaging.
    Cooler than cool! If you make it there, I hope you get a great seat....and I'll cross my fingers that you would even have the opportunity to interact with one or two of the biggies by having a question(s) or comment(s) addressed.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'll be there as well. Andrew is really great to talk to also. I remember back a few years ago I mistook him for Brad Bird who I used to be on friendly terms with. "BRAD! BRAAAAD!" I finally get him to turn around and he just talks to me without thinking me weird. It wasn't until afterwards I go "...wait... that was Andrew Stanton!"

years later I see Andrew again and tell him the story and he goes "haha yah, I remember that."

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Geoff Boucher@LATherocomplex
    • Tidbit about our free IMAX early screening of "John Carter": Tickets went faster than "Thor," "Tintin," "Tron:Legacy" or "Real Steel"
    Cannot wait to see this Monday night with you & your Twitter BFF Mr. Stanton, MARS bars for everyone!!!

• MiceChat Moderator

Oddly enough, the only other time I heard about one of these screenings was for Tron: Legacy! I think people only tell me about these things when it's Disney.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012 MiceChat Reviews

'John Carter' is a grand epic journey with heart, humor and genuine visual artistry. Andrew Stanton has created a truly unique vision worth waiting for and a fabulously different Disney princess.

The film features a terrific cast, some spectacular creature designs from the always awesome Michael Kutsche

Michael Kutsche - michaelkutsche - CGHUB

and a tremendous score by Michael Giacchino https://twitter.com/#!/m_giacchino

Ultimately TV spots, trailers, posters, etc. only matter as fodder for complaining just to complain.
    See 'John Carter' for yourself, the title will make sense and your visit to Mars will be one that you won't soon forget.

• King of Los Angeles

Saw it last night with ALIASd and Coheteboy, and the above review is right on. This film was amazing, and I had ridiculous expectations as a fan of the books. Take everyone you know!

• MiceChat Moderator

It's a great film but Disney continues to ruin a good thing. Check out the final trailer to be released and it is an absolute mess. I actually advise you NOT to watch if you haven't seen the film.

The Final Trailer for John Carter! - ComingSoon.net

• time to go

After watching the final trailer, especially when contrasted to that fabulous fan trailer that has the official blessing of Andrew Stanton, I'm now thoroughly convinced that John Carter has become a political football within the halls of Burbank, and that certain execs in power (most likely Ross) are hoping that the film tanks in order to put the kibosh on Pixar's live action filmmaking goals.

The Pixar brain trust has been wanting to break into live action for years, long before the Disney acquisition was finalized. Back in those days, Dick Cook was running the Studios, and threw his full support behind Pixar wanting to branch out beyond animation. But that was years before the shakeup.

Cook was ousted along with a team who supported his vision for Disney, only to be replaced by a less competent ego head, Rich Ross, and his flying monkeys on a stick. And given the micromanaging that Ross continues to demonstrate, I find it easy to believe that Ross probably views Pixar live action as a threat to his live action turf in Burbank, and would rather John Carter not succeed at the box. Ross appears to be the anti-Cook executive who doesn't cheer on every E-Ville success, who barely tolerates Lasseter's influence at Disney.

I don't believe this is simply a matter of marketing incompetence. Disney should be leveraging Andrew Stanton's success and name recognition in promoting this feature, just as Paramount did with Brad Bird and M:I Ghost Protocol. But these trailers do absolutely nothing to pre-sell the audience with the existing success behind the team who made this film.

I believe Rich Ross actually wants that financial write down for John Carter. I believe Ross wants Pixar to produce only animation, but he cannot achieve that end unless their first live action offering is a huge flop.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    After watching the final trailer, especially when contrasted to that fabulous fan trailer that has the official blessing of Andrew Stanton, I'm now thoroughly convinced that John Carter has become a political football within the halls of Burbank, and that certain execs in power (most likely Ross) are hoping that the film tanks in order to put the kibosh on Pixar's live action filmmaking goals.

The Pixar brain trust has been wanting to break into live action for years, long before the Disney acquisition was finalized. Back in those days, Dick Cook was running the Studios, and threw his full support behind Pixar wanting to branch out beyond animation. But that was years before the shakeup.
    ^this is very Dynasty & pretty much opposite what Andrew Stanton told our packed IMAX screening audience last night. Probably because 'John Carter' is not a Pixar film production/release but they do receive a nice thanks in the end credit titles.

BTW - I must've missed 'em but where were those 'Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol' one-sheets & trailers with,"...from the Director of 'The Incredibles' and 'Ratatouille'..."?

• MiceChat Moderator

I too have never seen such Ghost Protocol trailers. But I'll say one thing... those trailers totally won me over. Not so much with John Carter.

• time to go

BTW - I must've missed 'em but where were those 'Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol' one-sheets & trailers with,"...from the Director of 'The Incredibles' and 'Ratatouille'..."?
    Gee... I guess you missed the credit sheet at the end of each trailer where it clearly stated "Directed by Brad Bird." That's what I'm referring to here. No where is there any mention of Andrew Stanton being the director in these trailers. There are zero credit sheets at the end of the trailers, so no one knows who the heck is making this film, just that it's being released from Disney.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast