View Poll Results: What did you think of "John Carter"

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Amazing movie, everybody should see it now!!!

10 30.30%
  • 4 Stars - It was really good

13 39.39%
  • 3 Stars - It was ok, about as good as the Trailers made it look

4 12.12%
  • 2 Stars - Should have waited for Blu Ray

5 15.15%
  • 1 Star - Star Wars Episode II was better

1 3.03%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Gee... I guess you missed the credit sheet at the end of each trailer where it clearly stated "Directed by Brad Bird." That's what I'm referring to here. No where is there any mention of Andrew Stanton being the director in these trailers. There are zero credit sheets at the end of the trailers, so no one knows who the heck is making this film, just that it's being released from Disney.

Seen the credit screen but it's far from what you implied. Disney's TV spots have included the credit screen but it does very little to the everyday movie-going audience.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Gee... I guess you missed the credit sheet at the end of each trailer where it clearly stated "Directed by Brad Bird." That's what I'm referring to here. No where is there any mention of Andrew Stanton being the director in these trailers. There are zero credit sheets at the end of the trailers, so no one knows who the heck is making this film, just that it's being released from Disney.
    The TV spots & trailer credits for Paramount's release (the 4th in it's M:I franchise) are contractual, befitting the ginormous producers involved, i.e. J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot and Tom Cruise. All above the line talent/production credits have to be included. 'John Carter' doesn't (as yet) have that same yoke to bare.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• shaping tomorrow

Seriously I was at the premiere last week the movie is wesome! Seriously a wonderful treat! See it!!!

I don't remember much from the books other than that I couldn't get through them. i hope the movie is better!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The studio has two more screening scheduled for Tuesday in O.C. and back in Burbank on Thursday, so tempted to see it agin before opening day...already planning to take my niece and nephew on the 10th!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Seen the credit screen but it's far from what you implied. Disney's TV spots have included the credit screen but it does very little to the everyday movie-going audience.
    First off, none of the trailers in iTunes have the credit page at the end. None of them. And these are the only trailers that have been playing on TV for the past two months. I have no idea what you've seen, because there have been zero credit sheets attached to them. Only the 'Legacy' trailer has any reference to Andrew Stanton, because he's there, describing how the film came about.

Second, I respectfully disagree about Andrew Stanton and his films not being important or recognizable to movie-going audiences. As the fan trailer has rightfully done, Disney should be advertising that this is from the Academy Award-winning director/writer of Finding Nemo and WALL-E. It would be a huge boost to the box, based on the success of those two previous films. Disney is being irrationally dense by not making Stanton's involvement more widely known.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The TV spots & trailer credits for Paramount's release (the 4th in it's M:I franchise) are contractual, befitting the ginormous producers involved, i.e. J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot and Tom Cruise. All above the line talent/production credits have to be included. 'John Carter' doesn't (as yet) have that same yoke to bare.
    Yes, I get it. You are a professional in the business and I know nothing.

But just because something isn't contractually obligated doesn't prevent you, as a studio exec, from doing said behavior anyway. Nothing is preventing Disney from leveraging Andrew Stanton's name recognition in promoting this film.

I've stated it before, and I'll state it again:

Disney is being stupid for not widely advertising Andrew Stanton's involvement with John Carter.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

If he wanted his name attached to the spots or trailers it would be in there. He has approval rights on the campaign, etc. as most multi-Academy Award winning writer/directors with massive box office resumes would contractually.

As I mentioned before in the other related thread, as 'John Carter' is not a Pixar animated film so utilizing his own non-household brand name (i.e. Scorsese, Spielberg, Cameron, etc.) probably wasn't a true option to exploit. Not using the past Pixar titles in the fims marketing was more than likely a way to distance this release for the older (rather than parents with toddlers in tow) audience it is aimed at.

• King of Los Angeles

Whether Disney is marketing this right or not is kind of irrelevant. Fact is - it's a great movie, and I want to see a sequel so everybody tell everyone you know.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

First off, none of the trailers in iTunes have the credit page at the end. None of them. And these are the only trailers that have been playing on TV for the past two months. I have no idea what you've seen, because there have been zero credit sheets attached to them. Only the 'Legacy' trailer has any reference to Andrew Stanton, because he's there, describing how the film came about.

Second, I respectfully disagree about Andrew Stanton and his films not being important or recognizable to movie-going audiences. As the fan trailer has rightfully done, Disney should be advertising that this is from the Academy Award-winning director/writer of Finding Nemo and WALL-E. It would be a huge boost to the box, based on the success of those two previous films. Disney is being irrationally dense by not making Stanton's involvement more widely known.

You haven't read a single post that I've said in this thread agreeing to the same thing apparently. You're arguing that Disney should have a credit screen with Andrew Stanton's name. I'm saying "yah, but.... his name isn't enough." They need to boast his credits as well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The film just had it's London premiere:

Why John Carter has to be seen to be believed

John Carter is the kind of movie no studio bigwig in their right mind ought to have greenlit - but where else will you see such strange monsters?

It would be an awful shame to see John Carter fail to find an audience, of course. Two years ago Disney put out a deeply disappointing Tron sequel, which nevertheless made money, and Warner Bros are apparently threatening a sequel to Green Lantern, 2011's poorest comic-book movie. Stanton's film is probably the finest work of its (admittedly nutty) kind since Avatar, and is considerably less formulaic than that much-derided movie. The film leaves the door open for sequels without damaging its credibility as a standalone creation, and with more than a dozen books to draw on, this is a series that could potentially run and run. I should also mention the clever framing device which allows Burroughs himself to appear as a supporting character: its genius becomes apparent in the final scene, which is one of the most outlandishly brilliant things I've seen in mainstream film-making all year.

John Carter is the kind of movie no studio bigwig in their right mind ought ever to have greenlit: a space fantasy based on a genre – "planetary romance" – that hasn't been popular for well over half a century, populated by bizarre creatures from the mind of a writer apparently endowed with the ungrounded imagination of a small child. This is exactly why you should be checking it out. The film is out next weekend and I've posted the final trailer above. What a glorious enterprise Disney have wasted all their money on. God bless Hollywood!
    full article at:
    Why John Carter has to be seen to be believed | Film | guardian.co.uk

---------- Post added 03-03-2012 at 10:39 AM ----------

‘John Carter’: Andrew Stanton refuses to underestimate your intelligence

“John Carter” director Andrew Stanton was motivated to make the Disney adventure film, which hits theaters March 9, out of “selfish fan desire,” he told a packed theater after an early screening of the film earlier this week.

Stanton, best known for directing the acclaimed and popular Pixar films “Finding Nemo” and “Wall-E,” spoke during a Q&A after a free IMAX screening Monday hosted by Hero Complex’s Geoff Boucher, describing how he came to love the franchise through the John Carter Marvel Comics, which led him to the original novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

“This idea of seeing this movie on the screen, I’ve had for 36 years — not as a filmmaker, but as a fan. The year I read it was the same year, later, I saw ‘Star Wars,’ and then I saw ‘Close Encounters,’ and then I saw ‘Alien,’ and I thought it was some invisible promise that meant this book was going to go on the screen next. And I just stood there, waiting, ready to be first in line, and three decades went by, and I just started to get really frustrated that it was never going to get made. And that’s all I ever wanted in my whole life was to see it before I passed from this earth, you know? … It’s purely out of fan desire, selfish fan desire, that I did this risky thing.”

Video excerpt at:
    ‘John Carter’: Andrew Stanton refuses to underestimate your intelligence | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Could someone please add MiceChat Reviews to this thread title? Thanks!

• Circle of Ancients

^ Done

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012 (MiceChat Reviews!!!)

Beginning to backlash all the shilling going on around here....

62% on RT. Gonna wait for it to be on TV. Or borrow someone's DVD.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Beginning to backlash all the shilling going on around here....

62% on RT. Gonna wait for it to be on TV. Or borrow someone's DVD.
    We've seen the film, reviewed it and said we liked it.

You call it shilling and cite a site that features reviews as an excuse to backlash.

It's a big screen epic adventure, small screen won't do it justice. Hope you can enjoy it either way.

---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 01:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Done

Thanks!!!

• Rock Star Minion

I certainly would enjoy it more if it were free.

More data provides more credibility.

I'm just feeling my own backlash. I see the TV spots and I see just another overwrought CGI-fest. I'm not in the demographic, so no worries about me spreading my discontent.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast