View Poll Results: What did you think of "John Carter"

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Amazing movie, everybody should see it now!!!

10 30.30%
  • 4 Stars - It was really good

13 39.39%
  • 3 Stars - It was ok, about as good as the Trailers made it look

4 12.12%
  • 2 Stars - Should have waited for Blu Ray

5 15.15%
  • 1 Star - Star Wars Episode II was better

1 3.03%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012 (MiceChat Reviews!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'm just feeling my own backlash. I see the TV spots and I see just another overwrought CGI-fest. I'm not in the demographic, so no worries about me spreading my discontent.
    I dunno... after reading this piece in the L.A. Times, I suspect it might not be just you.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Infinitized!

Well, I got Friday off so I think I'll go see the very first show, in IMAX 3D!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Entertainment Weekly also gave it a D. But their grading was always whack as well.

And LA Times... at least the Hero Complex side of it has been very supportive of John Carter.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• time to go

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    You haven't read a single post that I've said in this thread agreeing to the same thing apparently. You're arguing that Disney should have a credit screen with Andrew Stanton's name. I'm saying "yah, but.... his name isn't enough." They need to boast his credits as well.
    I did read your posts, but I obviously didn't quite understand what you were stating. My apologies.

IMHO, Disney marketing blew this one, big time. Leveraging Andrew's prior successes could have only helped. Now... the RT TomatoMeter is nosediving, going from 65% earlier this week to 62% yesterday and now 52% (with top critics at 27%!) just one day before release.

Dumb!
    Dumb!!
    Dumb!!!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012 MiceChat Reviews!!!

Andrew Stanton's big-budget 3D tentpole John Carter grossed a tepid $500,000 as it began its domestic rollout with midnight runs Thursday.
    Overseas, it has earned roughly $13 million in the first territories where it's opened (in some countries, movies open on Wednesday or Thursday). That's a soft number, though there were several bright spots.

Russia bought welcome news for Disney. John Carter grossed an estimated $6.5 million there Thursday, the biggest opening day in Russian cinema history.

It also did solid business in Hong Kong and Thailand, possibly portending a good run in China and other Asian countries.

In North America, John Carter will be playing in a total of 3,749 locations Friday, including 2,614 3D runs. It's also playing in 289 Imax theaters.
    'John Carter' Earns Soft $500,000 in Midnight Runs Domestically But Scores Big in Russia - The Hollywood Reporter
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-09-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Infinitized!

I saw it today at the first IMAX 3D show. It was a fun movie, not great but fun. The visuals/effects were great. But where I think it could've used a little attention was on the script. I actually felt a little lost a few times. Could've used maybe some narrative to explain the story a little more.

Saw the movie tonight and really enjoyed it. The script does need some help in a couple areas but verbally had a great story. I lved that the special effects did not over power the beautiful scenery in the movie. The effects we actually done very well to enhance the storyline. I really think some critics are on the band wagon of putting down the movie to catch attention and they themselves are going to hurt the movie by constantly telling people that the movie will be a huge loss for Disney.

I think Disney marketing also lost track of how to market the movie because there is actually a good story that was not explained in the action packed special effect filled trailer

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I agree. Back at the dawn of time when they announced the making of this film, I never heard of "John Carter of Mars" but it sounded so fantastic, so unbelievable. I immediately got excited even though I knew nothing about it. All I knew that it was an old novel and that they would finally bring it to life after several failed attempts. THAT to me was the story right there. Everyone loves an underdog story... well... this is it. The movie itself is the underdog.

And after watching the film... they COULD have done a better job addressing the two different sides and why they were fighting. Most of the time I couldn't even tell who was who. I didn't know it was blue vs red until later.

Also... regarding the title....

Spoiler
    They really could have kept the title JOHN CARTER OF MARS. The movie still could have started as just "JOHN CARTER" and end as "JOHN CARTER OF MARS". That would have still made sense and the title would have more of a mysticism about it. When people hear "... of Mars" it might pique their interest. What if they named Star Wars LUKE SKYWALKER.... well at least he has a unique name!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I loved this movie so much!!!

I was un-familiar with the John Carter of Mars books going into the movie, but dispite that I still could follow everything pretty well. I keep reading reviews from people who were confused by the very beginning of the movie. I kept up just fine.

I think there were a few moments were the story got bogged down, but they more than made up for it with the amazing visuals and action. I left the theater feeling like I had gotten my moneys worth.

I really hope that the positive word of mouth saves this movie. I really want to see more of Barsoom in future sequels to this series.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

A shame that bandwagon jumping is more fashionable and favorable than experiencing well-made cinematic entertainment.

Despite receiving a B+ CinemaScore, Disney's tentpole John Carter is faltering out of the gate at the domestic box office, where it's now anticipating a tepid $27 million debut after grossing $9.8 million on Friday.

John Carter narrowly won the Friday box office gross, but by Saturday, it should be overtaken by holdover Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, which is anticipating a $40 million weekend. Universal and Illumination Entertainment's Lorax, which grossed $9.6 million on Friday, will finish Sunday with a domestic gross north of $122 million.
    Box Office Report: 'John Carter' Earns Weak $9.8 Mil on Friday, 'Lorax' Will Win Weekend - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I would have liked it more if I had seen it on tv. I just felt like it could have been a lot better. It was getting a little boring in the middle somehow, even with cool action and fun situations. The stuff with the villain was kind of lame to me. I loved all the stuff with the green aliens and I liked all of the main characters/actors. The creature effects were amazing but the costumes were so cheesy, the vehicle/urban designs were awful, and the landscapes were pretty unimaginative and bare. I really liked the beginning on earth with the horses, Indians, gold, and the cool twist ending. I don't know what went wrong because there was so much good potential there but I feel like there was a missing piece somewhere and it didn't have the same heart Stanton's Finding Nemo and Wall-E did. I wish I loved it but I was left feeling torn. I still wouldn't mind seeing some sequels though.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by theeighthpassenger View Post
    I would have liked it more if I had seen it on tv. I just felt like it could have been a lot better. It was getting a little boring in the middle somehow, even with cool action and fun situations. The stuff with the villain was kind of lame to me. I loved all the stuff with the green aliens and I liked all of the main characters/actors. The creature effects were amazing but the costumes were so cheesy, the vehicle/urban designs were awful, and the landscapes were pretty unimaginative and bare. I really liked the beginning on earth with the horses, Indians, gold, and the cool twist ending. I don't know what went wrong because there was so much good potential there but I feel like there was a missing piece somewhere and it didn't have the same heart Stanton's Finding Nemo and Wall-E did. I wish I loved it but I was left feeling torn. I still wouldn't mind seeing some sequels though.
    Exactly how I felt about it. I did find myself a little lost somewhere in the middle, but I did like the beginning and the end.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yeah the main villain....Mars Man that had the weapon was just too boring as a Villain...they really should have at least made him look different from everyone else...may a cool combat suit or something.

Overall I liked it, really don't get how they did not make a game out of this....it could have been like a Teen version of God of War/with Mass Effect really missed a good game. I hope we see a sequel...heck I think over TRON this makes for a better TV series (animated)

8/10 for me good start..kinda boring middle and good ending overall go see it if you like Star Wars, Star Trek..or avatar

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Andrew Stanton's 3D sci-fi epic John Carter hit $30.6 million in its North American debut thanks to an uptick on Saturday, while the film opened internationally to $70.6 million for a total $101.2 million.

Disney is no under illusions that it's out of the woods despite a bettter-than-hoped for global performance. John Carter cost $250 million to produce plus a marketing spend that puts the total pricetag well north of $300 million.

In North America, John Carter was trounced by Universal and Illumination's Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, which earned a stellar $39.1 million in its second outing for a domestic cume of $122 million.

The good news for Disney was that John Carter received a B+ CinemaScore and was up 25 percent on Saturday, reflecting positive buzz. The film played best to older fanboys, but needed an equally strong showing from younger males. On Saturday, families turned out as well.

"While of course we appreciate the larger economics of the film, we're encouraged with how it's been received by audiences and hope to see that generate positive word of mouth," Disney executive vice president of worldwide distribution Dave Hollis said.

Internationally, John Carter--headlining Taylor Kitsch--opened particularly strong in Russia and did good business in Asia as well. It's European performance was more mixed.

The film played in a total of 3,746 screens domestically, including 2,614 3D screens and 289 IMAX locations, which combined turned in 64 percent of the gross, a good share for 3D. John Carter did especially well in IMAX locations--a haven for fanboys--which turned in $5 million, or 17 percent of the business. Of the top 10 screens in the country for the film, eight were IMAX.
    Box Office Report: 'John Carter' Earns So-So $30.6 Mil Domestically, $101.2 Mil Globally - The Hollywood Reporter

• Minion

Saw the movie last night I really liked it, but it was a little slow and confusing in the beginning but then it made sense at the end. I rate it 8 1/2 out of 10. Can anyone explain ti me what the flash backs were or the little parts where they showed a blonde girl and a little girl? is that like present tense of future I don't really get it?

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast