View Poll Results: What did you think of "John Carter"

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Amazing movie, everybody should see it now!!!

10 30.30%
  • 4 Stars - It was really good

13 39.39%
  • 3 Stars - It was ok, about as good as the Trailers made it look

4 12.12%
  • 2 Stars - Should have waited for Blu Ray

5 15.15%
  • 1 Star - Star Wars Episode II was better

1 3.03%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012 (MiceChat Reviews!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    Can anyone explain ti me what the flash backs were or the little parts where they showed a blonde girl and a little girl? is that like present tense of future I don't really get it?

Spoiler
    Seemed clear that it was Carter's wife and daughter. He references them later with line about, "...being too late once and won't be again" to help on Barsoom.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

I thought it was one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I'm really sad that it's getting bad reviews because I thought it was great. I hope the word of mouth is good and people give it a chance because I think most will enjoy it.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Spoiler
    Seemed clear that it was Carter's wife and daughter. He references them later with line about, "...being too late once and won't be again" to help on Barsoom.

Earlier in the film, there's hints to Carter's past. There's a shot that cuts right to his wedding band. The flashbacks are of his wife and daughter.... further flash backs show that they're not around any longer. So he has no family, no ties to hold him to earth.

Also when the Captain tells Carter that he is valuable to the cause, John Carter responds that he has paid his share in full, referring to the loss of his family.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Just this guy......

Saw the film yesterday (Sunday) and really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect film but it's a lot of fun and really captured the books fairly well considering the that first John Carter adventure came out in 1912.

I will say that Disney has done the worst marketing job ever for this film. The marketing is so bad I have to wonder if someone at Disney is trying to kill this film.

I'm glad to see that it is doing fairly well at the box office.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I thought it was one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I'm really sad that it's getting bad reviews because I thought it was great. I hope the word of mouth is good and people give it a chance because I think most will enjoy it.
    Yeah for me....it was much better then Avatar...it was shorter had cooler aliens and better action.......and I can say its cool to see how Violent Disney went in thsi film too

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yeah for me....it was much better then Avatar...it was shorter had cooler aliens and better action.......and I can say its cool to see how Violent Disney went in thsi film too

The violence in this is NOTHING compared to Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Getting a gentler box office reception on the foreign theatrical circuit, Disney’s John Carter took the No. 1 spot overseas for the second consecutive weekend, grossing $40.7 million from 54 offshore markets and lifting its international gross total to $126.1 million.

Weekend action for the $250-million-plus live action animation fantasy-adventure directed by Andrew Stanton was down more than 40% from its foreign debut last round. It slipped from first place to No. 4 in the U.K., where it took in an estimated $1.8 million from some 460 spots for a market cume of an estimated $6.3 million.

In Australia, where Carter also opened No. 1 last round, the film placed second this time, dropping about 51% to an estimated $1.6 million on the weekend. Carter also dropped from No. 2 to No. 3 in South Korea and Germany, from second to fourth in France, and from third to fifth place in Italy.

Overall, Carter’s overseas reception remains considerably kinder so far than the comparable $13.5 weekend tally and $53.2 million cume-to-date meted out in the U.S. and Canada.
    Foreign Box Office: 'John Carter' Repeats as No. 1 for Second Consecutive Weekend But Slips in Key Overseas Markets - The Hollywood Reporter

I saw it in IMAX 3D. It cost $18.50 at an AMC theatre. I'd like a couple dollars back because it was 3 1/2 stars out of five. I liked the sequence where Carter learns how to walk and jump in low gravity. I liked Dejah Thoris; she was beautiful and smart and can wield a sword. She looked like Gil Kane's renderings in the1970s Marvel Comics series. I liked the "dog". The musical score was average. These days, only John Williams and James Horner can make an excellent film score. Taylor Kitsch was good, but not great as Carter. We know from Friday Night Lights that he can act. I wonder what he looks like with short hair. One thing that would've been good was working in some of the real-life landmarks of Mars, like Olympus Mons and Mariner Valley.

I think it was good enough to warrant a sequel, but maybe the budget should be only half of this one.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    I saw it in IMAX 3D. It cost $18.50 at an AMC theatre. I'd like a couple dollars back because it was 3 1/2 stars out of five. I liked the sequence where Carter learns how to walk and jump in low gravity. I liked Dejah Thoris; she was beautiful and smart and can wield a sword. She looked like Gil Kane's renderings in the1970s Marvel Comics series. I liked the "dog". The musical score was average. These days, only John Williams and James Horner can make an excellent film score. Taylor Kitsch was good, but not great as Carter. We know from Friday Night Lights that he can act. I wonder what he looks like with short hair. One thing that would've been good was working in some of the real-life landmarks of Mars, like Olympus Mons and Mariner Valley.

I think it was good enough to warrant a sequel, but maybe the budget should be only half of this one.

James Horner? When was the last time he made a memorable score? I'm thinking Mask of Zorro... which was 1998.

• Disneyland PAP

I saw this over the weekend, without the IMAX nor the 3D. If there was IMAX without 3D, my friends and I would've chosen that.

Anyway, I gave it 3 stars. As one, my friends and I felt the first half lagged. The story was fine and the casting, well done. But we didn't have the patience I guess that many of you here had for the pacing. Would love to see a sequel. But the damn press is not being very kind with its descriptions of week 2. So I'm not expecting one now. Too bad. I'll probably get the Blu-ray when it comes out.

IMAX 3D was absolutely painless; I could've watched two films and not feel any discomfort at all. And I'm nearsighted and had to wear the 3D glasses over my regular glasses. It was better than any of the 3D attractions at the DLR.

The 3D trailer for The Avengers looked terrific. I absolutely will see it.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    IMAX 3D was absolutely painless; I could've watched two films and not feel any discomfort at all. And I'm nearsighted and had to wear the 3D glasses over my regular glasses. It was better than any of the 3D attractions at the DLR.

The 3D trailer for The Avengers looked terrific. I absolutely will see it.
    IMAX 3D is way better than RealD 3D. John Carter and TRON Legacy looked stunning on the IMAX screen.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney’s John Carter has grossed so far $188.3 million overseas in contrast to its $66.2 domestic cume. Weekend offshore brought in $6.2 million from playdates in 54 markets.
    Foreign Box Office: 'Wrath of the Titans' Opens No. 1 Overseas, Displacing 'The Hunger Games' - The Hollywood Reporter
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The violence in this is NOTHING compared to Pirates of the Caribbean 3.
    I really...dont remember that movie haha....but might be true....still surprised when does all this violence in some movies..but wont have anything really dark int here animated features any more

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I really...dont remember that movie haha....but might be true....still surprised when does all this violence in some movies..but wont have anything really dark int here animated features any more

Pirates 3 had a girl get shot in the head in Singapore. Doesn't take too long to get to that.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast