View Poll Results: What did you think of "John Carter"

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - Amazing movie, everybody should see it now!!!

10 30.30%
  • 4 Stars - It was really good

13 39.39%
  • 3 Stars - It was ok, about as good as the Trailers made it look

4 12.12%
  • 2 Stars - Should have waited for Blu Ray

5 15.15%
  • 1 Star - Star Wars Episode II was better

1 3.03%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'John Carter' 3/9/2012 (MiceChat Reviews!!!)

What a terrific Double-Feature - way to go Distribution dept.:

'John Carter' jumps from #38 to #12 at the domestic box office after being paired with 'The Avengers' at over 150 drive-in theatres this past weekend.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

How much has it made now?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

as of 5/6: $271,360,807
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    What a terrific Double-Feature - way to go Distribution dept.:

'John Carter' jumps from #38 to #12 at the domestic box office after being paired with 'The Avengers' at over 150 drive-in theatres this past weekend.
    What's a "drive-in theater"? :-)
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Senior Minion

From the "Golly, Is This Any Way to Treat an Iger?" Department...

L.A. Times: How did Battleship escape the John Carter flop furor?

A quote:

If there is a truism in Hollywood when it comes to the media, it’s that people in the industry never think you’re nasty, mean or vicious enough when writing about someone else’s movie. It’s a business, after all, where people root just as hard to see their friends fail as their enemies.

So I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised to hear from so many studio execs, producers and agents this week, all wondering the same thing: Why hasn’t the entertainment press been giving “Battleship” just as big a whipping as it gave “John Carter” a couple of months ago? After all, both films cost more than $200 million to make, an additional $100 million to market and, despite OK performances overseas, were pretty much dead on arrival in the United States.

Their overall numbers aren’t all that different. Disney’s “John Carter” did a paltry $72 million in the United States and an additional $210 million overseas; “Universal’s “Battleship” is on track to do even less in America than “John Carter” while so far making $232 million overseas. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Universal could lose $150 million on “Battleship,” while Disney took a $200-million write-down on “John Carter."

Those are both huge bites out of a rotten apple, yet while “John Carter” got a noisy, prolonged thrashing from the showbiz media, “Battleship” has largely escaped scrutiny, except for a predictable round of opening weekend obituaries. (If I had a dollar for every headline that went “ ‘Avengers’ sinks ‘Battleship,’" I could probably finance a couple of movies myself.)

There have been a few solid inside-baseball accounts, including one at the Vulture website that actually predicted that Universal marketing chief Josh Goldstine would lose his job because of the poor performance of “Battleship.” But for the most part, the media are allowing “Battleship” to slide down to the ocean floor without much fuss or fanfare.

Why were we so worked up about “John Carter” yet so blasé about “Battleship?

First, I should cite one immutable media law: If there are two box-office stinkers, the first one gets far more attention. Being the first mega flop of the year, “John Carter” was a magnet for media scrutiny. The film was also hurt by the fact that Disney, whose top cadre of executives is about as open with the press as the rulers of North Korea, had few friends in the media who might be willing to cut the studio a break.

“John Carter” also became a fat target after Disney axed MT Carney, its controversial head of marketing, who had famously decreed that the film’s title be shortened from “John Carter of Mars” to the generic “John Carter,” as if Mars might be too esoteric a locale for a sci-fi adventure film. For media sharks, Carney’s departure was a sign that blood was in the water — it only heightened the awareness that something was amiss with the film.

With “John Carter” out in front, it became the poster child for studio excess, allowing “Battleship” to stay, at least to some degree, out of the line of fire....

...It’s also possible that Universal managed its story better than Disney did. After all, “Battleship” had opened overseas weeks before it arrived in the States, so it took some of the negative energy out of the film’s weak U.S. opening weekend. Films that debut internationally before they open in the U.S. get a break from the box office press, largely because there still isn’t a simple measuring stick for overseas box-office performance. It’s harder to declare a film a flop when there aren’t as many box-office comparables in terms of one studio release versus another. ("John Carter," meanwhile, opened in dozens of markets on the same weekend of its March 9 stateside debut.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator

I read that article today and found it interesting. I think a lot of what was said is pretty true. But also, Universal marketed a movie nobody wanted to see better than Disney marketed John Carter.. a movie that they weren't really feeling one way or the other.

Back when it was announced that Disney was making a movie based on "Princess of Mars" or "John Carter of Mars" and that Andrew Stanton was making it, well... that's neat, but I don't know anything about it. It was all for Disney to prove or fail.

Battleship, the movie based on a board game made EVERYONE groan when that news broke. "Hollywood is out of ideas" we would say. Basically... it was expected to fail. Nobody wanted to see "Battleship" and even after seeing the trailers, nobody wanted to see "Battleship". It was a bad idea from the start.

John Carter's success or failure was entirely Disney's own doing. And they ruined it inside out.

• Circle of Ancients

^ BINGO!!!

It's not surprising that Battleship was a flop and that nobody wanted to see it. But Universal marketing did a good job IMO. It's kind of hard to polish a turd.

With John Carter, there were just so many unnecessary mistakes all the way around.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ BINGO!!!

It's not surprising that Battleship was a flop and that nobody wanted to see it. But Universal marketing did a good job IMO. It's kind of hard to polish a turd.
    They're already doing a pretty good job on their next board game-based movie:

and its sequel...

• Sock Puppet

lost in the DISNEY UNIVERSE (the game) & LOVING it!

didnt catch it in the theaters, I'll have to blu ray it when it comes out on tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    From the "Golly, Is This Any Way to Treat an Iger?" Department...

L.A. Times: How did Battleship escape the John Carter flop furor?

A quote:

If there is a truism in Hollywood when it comes to the media, it’s that people in the industry never think you’re nasty, mean or vicious enough when writing about someone else’s movie. It’s a business, after all, where people root just as hard to see their friends fail as their enemies.

So I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised to hear from so many studio execs, producers and agents this week, all wondering the same thing: Why hasn’t the entertainment press been giving “Battleship” just as big a whipping as it gave “John Carter” a couple of months ago? After all, both films cost more than $200 million to make, an additional $100 million to market and, despite OK performances overseas, were pretty much dead on arrival in the United States.

Their overall numbers aren’t all that different. Disney’s “John Carter” did a paltry $72 million in the United States and an additional $210 million overseas; “Universal’s “Battleship” is on track to do even less in America than “John Carter” while so far making $232 million overseas. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Universal could lose $150 million on “Battleship,” while Disney took a $200-million write-down on “John Carter."

Those are both huge bites out of a rotten apple, yet while “John Carter” got a noisy, prolonged thrashing from the showbiz media, “Battleship” has largely escaped scrutiny, except for a predictable round of opening weekend obituaries. (If I had a dollar for every headline that went “ ‘Avengers’ sinks ‘Battleship,’" I could probably finance a couple of movies myself.)

There have been a few solid inside-baseball accounts, including one at the Vulture website that actually predicted that Universal marketing chief Josh Goldstine would lose his job because of the poor performance of “Battleship.” But for the most part, the media are allowing “Battleship” to slide down to the ocean floor without much fuss or fanfare.

Why were we so worked up about “John Carter” yet so blasé about “Battleship?

First, I should cite one immutable media law: If there are two box-office stinkers, the first one gets far more attention. Being the first mega flop of the year, “John Carter” was a magnet for media scrutiny. The film was also hurt by the fact that Disney, whose top cadre of executives is about as open with the press as the rulers of North Korea, had few friends in the media who might be willing to cut the studio a break.

“John Carter” also became a fat target after Disney axed MT Carney, its controversial head of marketing, who had famously decreed that the film’s title be shortened from “John Carter of Mars” to the generic “John Carter,” as if Mars might be too esoteric a locale for a sci-fi adventure film. For media sharks, Carney’s departure was a sign that blood was in the water — it only heightened the awareness that something was amiss with the film.

With “John Carter” out in front, it became the poster child for studio excess, allowing “Battleship” to stay, at least to some degree, out of the line of fire....

...It’s also possible that Universal managed its story better than Disney did. After all, “Battleship” had opened overseas weeks before it arrived in the States, so it took some of the negative energy out of the film’s weak U.S. opening weekend. Films that debut internationally before they open in the U.S. get a break from the box office press, largely because there still isn’t a simple measuring stick for overseas box-office performance. It’s harder to declare a film a flop when there aren’t as many box-office comparables in terms of one studio release versus another. ("John Carter," meanwhile, opened in dozens of markets on the same weekend of its March 9 stateside debut.)
    A couple of other John Carter issues that allowed mainstream Hollywood to give Battleship a bit of pass even though it was also a huge failure.

John Carter went into the U.S. market virtually unopposed by any other major release at the time. Battleship had to contend with the mega-hit Avengers.

Both movies were expensive but John Carter ran neck and neck with Avatar as being the most expensive movie ever made. The closer you are to the top at anything, the bigger the bulls-eye on your back

And sometimes you just plain like to see Studio execs, especially Disney execs, who often arrogantly come across as being the smartest guys in the room get their comeuppance once in awhile.

The advantage of being Bob Iger is you can point fingers at other minions while promising stockholders, "don't worry, I've got a plan to get this fixed".

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    The advantage of being Bob Iger is you can point fingers at other minions while promising stockholders, "don't worry, I've got a plan to get this fixed".
    And that plan was... The Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    And that plan was... The Avengers.
    Absolutely. But was it good fortune or planned? The 4 billion dollar Marvel investment (an Iger purchase from the get-go) is coming up smelling like a rose. The fodder kicked to the curb - John Carter.

• Pilot EdForceOne

well.. its a lot bigger story when the big boys fail than when a 'Peter who?' fails.

JC had more than the money riding on it.. it had the whole Andrew Stanton angle so a lot more eyes focused on it. Add on top of that the story line of the WTF marketing by Disney... now you have a story to tell.

When someone just makes a movie that ultimately no one wants to see.. there isn't much of a story in that alone. Hollywood movie loses money? No story. The Golden Goose stops laying eggs? There's a story to tell.

I think the premise of the LA Times article overlooks media itself.. no one wants to write a story no one wants to read.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• One More Day

I finally saw JC and I cannot understand for the life of me why this got such bad reviews. This movie was great. Hopefully it will be a cult hit like Big Trouble In Little China became.

This movie is way better than the likes of anything Tyler Perry, Step Up (insert number), Delta Farce, Battlefield Earth, Pearl Harbor, Drive, Conan The Barbarian 2011, and the list goes on

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yoda1138777 View Post
    I finally saw JC and I cannot understand for the life of me why this got such bad reviews. This movie was great. Hopefully it will be a cult hit like Big Trouble In Little China became.

This movie is way better than the likes of anything Tyler Perry, Step Up (insert number), Delta Farce, Battlefield Earth, Pearl Harbor, Drive, Conan The Barbarian 2011, and the list goes on

Yup. It was easy to mock it. Ballooned budget. Terrible marketing. And all the behind the scenes shuffling at Disney has lead to the critics to universally pan this film.

it's definitely better than it deserved but a lot of that was Disney's own fault as well.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast